Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comparing VZ FiOS to D*

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,174 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

I agree, even with the 2 short weeks I spent with fios the pq was better then directv, and despite tonys claim I do feel as well directvs HD is not what it was

I think it just depends on your vision and how far away you're sitting from the TV. I had FiOS and DirecTV boxes connected to my 65" 1080p plasma last year, and from my normal 10'-12' away with 20-20 vision, PQ looked about the same. At 8' or less, I could see the difference.

And there wasn't any difference between the NYC OTA signal I receive and FiOS PQ at any distance. That backs up their claims that they simply deliver the signal the networks give them, with no add'l processing that might degrade the picture.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,088 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

I think it just depends on your vision and how far away you're sitting from the TV. I had FiOS and DirecTV boxes connected to my 65" 1080p plasma last year, and from my normal 10'-12' away with 20-20 vision, PQ looked about the same. At 8' or less, I could see the difference.

And there wasn't any difference between the NYC OTA signal I receive and FiOS PQ at any distance. That backs up their claims that they simply deliver the signal the networks give them, with no add'l processing that might degrade the picture.

"Might degrade the picture" is a big clause because fios does condition. They do not pass mpeg4 directly. Nor does directv pass mpeg2 directly. They both transcode some channels so neither passes the signal purely.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#63 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,174 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

"Might degrade the picture" is a big clause because fios does condition. They do not pass mpeg4 directly. Nor does directv pass mpeg2 directly. They both transcode some channels so neither passes the signal purely.

I guess they made that "no degradation in quality" statement when all their channels were MPEG-2. All i know is I get the east coast network feeds via OTA directly from the Empire State Building, and, last year, the FiOS equivalents were identical, no matter how close I sat to the TV.

• damondlt likes this
/steve

#64 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:54 PM

I dont think they are concurrent live...  I remember with my old Premiere 4, only the foreground tuner buffered..  all others had to be recording

You're either mistaken or your Premiere was defective. I have the dual tuner Premiere and it buffers both all the time, whether it is turned on or in standby, and has done so from the day I bought it. Occasionally I'll turn it on and if whatever happens to be on is interesting I'll backup the full 30 minutes so I can watch what was buffered. I do this often enough I kind of wish the 30 minutes was configurable :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#65 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:53 PM

You're either mistaken or your Premiere was defective. I have the dual tuner Premiere and it buffers both all the time, whether it is turned on or in standby, and has done so from the day I bought it. Occasionally I'll turn it on and if whatever happens to be on is interesting I'll backup the full 30 minutes so I can watch what was buffered. I do this often enough I kind of wish the 30 minutes was configurable :)

I had 2 2-Tuners premieres and 1 premiere 4...  all would not buffer all tuners when swapping between them

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#66 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

How were you switching between tuners? You have to do it with the Live TV button, if you use the Prev button or enter channel numbers you are just switching channels on a single tuner.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#67 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

I agree, even with the 2 short weeks I spent with fios the pq was better then directv, and despite tonys claim I do feel as well directvs HD is not what it was.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Agree 100%.  I've even started watching sports on FiOS because the PQ is so much better.

D* used to be THE BEST, but they simply have dropped the ball and now are a PQ laggard.  I'm talking about HD here (I don't think anybody would claim that D* had even fair SD PQ anymore)

Edited by wilbur_the_goose, 08 December 2013 - 09:21 AM.

• damondlt likes this

DirecTV customer since 1996

#68 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,984 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Our local Blue ridge Cable, has HD PQ right up there with Directv.

If they offered a Whole home system like Directv does, I would consider switching back.

If Verizon Fios came to town, yea I would consider my options.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#69 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 963 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:23 PM

I know of 3 ways to get live buffers on my tivo premiere 2 tuner model,1 press ''live tv'',2 press info in menu go down to next tuner press select,3 simply press enter button it takes you back to previous channel with the full 30 minute buffer!

#70 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 400 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

That just about sums it up for me....

FIOS is not yet available in my area, so it's either cable (one cable company) or satellite. My cable company wanted more money for Encore channels that were not in HD, bars on sides. DTV has Encore in HD. :righton:

#71 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Actually it's not that bad, depending on how long you keep it. I just did the math in a thread over at the Tivo community forums and if you consider the up front lease fee of a Genie (IE: you're not getting it free as a promo) it pays for itself in about 3 years. If you get the lifetime then it's even better because you either come out ahead every month past the break even date, or if you decide to sell and upgrade, TiVos with lifetime retain their resell value very, very well.

Just wondering - are they honoring their old lifetime subs going back to DirecTivo?

spam firewall