Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrading DECA

HR34 DECA

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Iceman0803

Iceman0803

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

In my current setup I'm using the DECABB1MR0 (DECA I?) and am getting TERRIBLE download performance when trying to watch VOD content. I know that it's not a bandwidth problem, as I have a solid 150 Mb connection (distributed via an Asus RT-N66U router). So, that got me wondering if the issue may be my DECA box that was set up with my original instalation (in 2011).

My question is 2 fold, first would replacing my current DECA model with the DECA2PPR (or maybe even a newer model that I'm not aware of) improve my download performance? If so do I use the same coax connection that my current DECA box uses?

Sorry if this is kind of a newb question. I understand the basics of how my system is set up but not well versed on the intricacies of the MRV setup, lol. Thanks in advance for any help.

Also, my main reciever is an HR34 with an H25 in each of 2 bedrooms, in case that helps.

Edited by Iceman0803, 03 November 2013 - 11:34 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

How near the router is the HR34?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Iceman0803

Iceman0803

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

How near the router is the HR34?

40-50 ft maybe.

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

Hmmmph. I was hoping it was much closer so you could just plug the Genie into the router.

What colors are the diagnostic LEDs glowing on the CCK?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Iceman0803

Iceman0803

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

OK, sorry for the dumb question but just to clarify, when you refer to the CCK do you mean the small black box that has a coaxial connection and ethernet port on the back? If yes, then all LEDs on it are green.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Both DECAs are equally functional. The problem may lie some other place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Your bottle neck is the network port of the receiver it can only handle 15 mbps  at max so no matter your how fast your connect is Local lan is 100 mbps or if you have a 1000 Mbs lan that makes the port the bottle neck

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Your bottle neck is the network port of the receiver it can only handle 15 mbps  at max so no matter your how fast your connect is Local lan is 100 mbps or if you have a 1000 Mbs lan that makes the port the bottle neck

Yet nothing I can think of requires anywhere near 15 Mbps. I suspect the server. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

What's your connection to your ISP?

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

OK, sorry for the dumb question but just to clarify, when you refer to the CCK do you mean the small black box that has a coaxial connection and ethernet port on the back? If yes, then all LEDs on it are green.

CCK is the shorthand for Cinema Connection Kit. The CCK started out being a pair of HomePlug network adapters and progressed to a wireless gaming adapter (Linksys WGA600N and WET610N), a wired DECA CCK and now a Wireless CCK.

The green lights suggest it is operating properly on the DECA side.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

Yet nothing I can think of requires anywhere near 15 Mbps. I suspect the server. 

Sometimes you just need to throw a flag out there.

The receiver's port is 100 Mb/s.

If you monitor the network, you can see 30-40 Mb/s peaks, and over 20 Mb/s "sort of steady".

Lax: OTA and some OnDemand is higher.

"Nine out of ten times" slow Ondemand isn't the receiver, but "something" between it and DirecTV.

I haven't seen much over about 9 Mb/s "coming from" DirecTV.

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have a wireless CCK ordered.  I know  that I connect cable from SWIM switch to the CCK then cable from CCK to my HR24.  The CCK will locate my wireless network.  My question is can I connect ethernet directly to the CCK (from my router).  I assume that this would be both faster and more reliable than wifi.  Thoughts?

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yes, the wireless CCK can connect directly via Ethernet back to your router.  Just don't  configure the wireless.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

Thanks.  I would rather run a wired setup.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HR34, DECA

spam firewall