Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Mentalist shows rerun.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

The Mentalist was suppose to show Fire And Brimstone and the program info show Fire And Brimstone but they show a rerun instead. Bummer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

That is disappointing. It is summed up in the headline of this article ‘The Mentalist’ season 6: New episode ‘Fire and Brimstone’ not airing tonight on CBS due to NFL which explains:

Sad news for those of you who were eager to check out the new episode of “The Mentalist” Sunday night entitled “Fire and Brimstone”: Thanks to the beast known as NFL football, which continues to be prioritized over everything thanks to a billion or so people watching it, CBS decided that they would rather hold off airing an important hour of television since it would be starting so late.

The network confirmed tonight that the episode will be preempted, and a repeat will be airing in its place starting at 10:59 p.m. Eastern time. This means that had the show aired a new episode tonight, it would have been close to midnight before it was over. We do understand why the network made this decision, since they want the show to get ratings on the East Coast and the Central time zones rather than just having everyone go to bed. Will this annoy a huge percentage of the fan base? Sure, but at least the network is concerned about trying to get people to watch the show.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

From the first moment when they came to Rigsby's door, I kept saying to myself that this was a rerun.  But I kept checking the info and it showed a new episode.  My next thought was to come here to the TV Talk forum, and.... sure enough.... you guys were there for me!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

Which means that many recorders won't pick up this episode when it airs next week, since it's been flagged as having been recorded. Be sure to double check when the guides are updated. 

#5 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

Which means that many recorders won't pick up this episode when it airs next week, since it's been flagged as having been recorded. Be sure to double check when the guides are updated. 

Don't worry there will be football next weekend also so DVR recording on Sunday will still be screwed up.  CBS really does need to worry about the ratings the only thing worse for viewers would be changing the day of the week The Mentalist appears on.

#6 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

From the first moment when they came to Rigsby's door, I kept saying to myself that this was a rerun. But I kept checking the info and it showed a new episode. My next thought was to come here to the TV Talk forum, and.... sure enough.... you guys were there for me!

I was venting more then anything. The good news is that this thread been view by over 2600 people which is good for The Mentalist.

Ps 3032 views record for any of my post.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 04 November 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Don't worry there will be football next weekend also so DVR recording on Sunday will still be screwed up.  CBS really does need to worry about the ratings the only thing worse for viewers would be changing the day of the week The Mentalist appears on.

Next weekend isn't a CBS double header, so times should be normal. Only the Houston DMA might be affected.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

Next weekend isn't a CBS double header, so times should be normal. Only the Houston DMA might be affected.

I don't know about that - in New Orleans, we're getting a CBS double header with Denver/San Diego as the late game.

Actually, per http://506sports.com/nfl/ CBS has a doubleheader next week also.

So, who knows when the next episode will air, because you don't see many of the late games ending as scheduled even with CBS's 30-minute offset scheduling.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

I don't know about that - in New Orleans, we're getting a CBS double header with Denver/San Diego as the late game.

Actually, per http://506sports.com/nfl/ CBS has a doubleheader next week also.

So, who knows when the next episode will air, because you don't see many of the late games ending as scheduled even with CBS's 30-minute offset scheduling.

Well shoot, you're right. I assumed they were back to alternating weeks since the 2nd and 3rd weeks.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

They need to schedule other things when they runs double header. It's not like thy don't run tons if repeats in march so just runs couple now or even better other programming. Also they could reshow the program on Saturday or something and make sure it has slightly different guide data so it gets recorded! They are all now admiring DVR use age within 30 days is huge so play to it!!!

#11 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I thought I had seen that one before.

I have mine set up with 1 1/2 hr buffer at the end because of how many times in the past that CBS will push that show for a game.

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

A possible solution would be to move "The Good Wife" to another day and schedule "preemptable" reruns of half hour comedies at 7 pm. which is what Fox does. It's really stupid to pretend the football problem doesn't exist.

In the general scheme of things, another possible solution would be to allow the local affiliates to preempt "60 Minutes" but only if they shift it to Monday at 7 pm and run a nice scroll announcing the shift at the bottom of the screen every so often during the football game beginning at 6:45 pm.

The issue, of course, is that CBS Sports and CBS News are different divisions of CBS and the poor slobs responsible for developing other programming which is the bread and butter of the network get pushed aside.

• dennispap likes this

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#13 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

Heads up Brimstone and Fire next Sunday needs to be set to record.

#14 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Heads up Brimstone and Fire next Sunday needs to be set to record.

Shows in my dish guide as NEW and my dvr has it set to record, as it should.

#15 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

My 722 DVR has it listed as "The Great Red Dragon" Episode 128. Maybe Dish has not received the updated guide info or maybe my DVR has old info. Either way it is set to record.....

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,543 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Problem is "The Great Red Dragon" was originally scheduled for November 10. The Zap-2-It Guide which is a TMS (Tribune Media Services) guide shows "Brimstone and Fire" so sooner or later the Dish guide will catch up. I'm going to double-check Friday and again Sunday.

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

This is good to know. I don't really care that they ran a rerun; after all, the script order had probably not changed from the standard 22, and I watch the show on playback anyway (and am 10 eps behind).

But it does have an effect. What this means is that we should delete the rerun (now that we know it is a rerun) and if we really want to get this ep, we should change our SLs to "both", just so when it comes around for real it is not considered a repeat, or won't record because we already have something sitting on the HDD under that title preventing the real first airing from recording.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#18 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

I'm guessing that since my alternate source had the new episode, I'll see nothing this coming weekend.  I kinda wish I didn't see it *at the time I did* because..

Spoiler

#19 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

My 722 had it correct on Nov 5th. Are yalls dish boxes still incorrect?

#20 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

I'm guessing that since my alternate source had the new episode, I'll see nothing this coming weekend.  I kinda wish I didn't see it *at the time I did* because..

Spoiler

This spoiler is driving me crazy. Guess I have to wait for Sunday.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...