Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with new install and tuners and hr44 and hr24

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   arw547

arw547

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks to everyone for answering my previous questions.  I went ahead and had DirecTV installed on Saturday.  Since I wanted to make sure I got a HR44 genie, 3 c41 clients, and 1 hr24, I got a list of local installers in my area from the DirecTV website and emailed 6 of them asking what equipment they were installing and if they could provide the exact models I wanted.  I got one response and the system was installed on Saturday.  However, that is when I started having problems.  At first the genie in the living room could not verify the satellite configuration so the installer changed the 8-way SWS splitter and then it was able to verify the satellite configuration and complete setup. Next the installer stepped outside and called to get the boxes activated.  After activation, the hr24 in the master bedroom showed an error that it was unable to get any signal on tuner 2.  Tuner 1 was fine with everything in the mid to high 90's.  The installer then called DirecTV and even though he had a replacement HR24 in his truck, because he had already activated the HR24 he was unable to give me a replacement.  Instead, he called DirecTV and they are shipping me out a replacement receiver.  I know the replacement may not be an hr24 so that's a little disappointing.  

As far as the genie clients go, everything seemed fine during the install.  However, during the install the clients were all set to the same channel so really only 1 tuner was being used on the main genie and 1 tuner for all 3 clients.  The tech left and I thought everything was good.  Yesterday, I had the main genie on, 1 client on in the kids room on and nothing was recording at the time.  I went to watch on a second client in another room and when I turned it on and tried watching something different than the main genie and 1st client, I got the dreaded 771 error.  Since that time, I've moved the genie to various rooms, unplugged all the lines and power inserter and rewired everything and checked for signal or errors after wiring one box at a time.  Everytime no matter where the main genie or clients are located, I get a 771 error when turning on a second client.  Just to clarify I can watch the main genie and 1 client but whenever I try to watch a 2nd client (3rd tuner) I get a 771 error even though nothing is recording.  I looked at the signal strengths on the genie and i get great signals on tuners 1, 2, 4, and 5 (all in the mid to high 90s) but no signal on tuner 3.  Is it possible I got two bad receivers (hr24 and hr44) and if so is it possible that I may end up with refurbished an hr34 and something other than an hr24?  If so that is really disappointing because I specifically ordered through a local company so I could get the exact models I wanted.  Is it possible that it is something other than the receivers like the lnb.  The dish that was installed was an sl3-swm and the other equipment is an sws-8 green label switch, and pi-21 power inserter.  I called DirecTV and they escalated the issue to a case manager and I have an tech coming out on Wednesday but thought I would see if there was anything else I should try.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

What communication have you had with the installing company? I'd start there.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   arw547

arw547

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

What communication have you had with the installing company? I'd start there.

I called them this morning and they thought it might be a problem with the cable barrel connectors on the wall plates.  I checked all the connections on both sides of the wall plate and that did not resolve the issue.  I also decided to take 2 of the clients and 2 TVs into my closet where the 8-way switch is located and connected the clients directly to the switch outputs.  That did not resolve the issue either.  Once I told them that I called DirecTV and they were coming on Wednesday, they told me just to let them know how it is resolved.  The company that did the install is about 90 minutes away and I'm not sure they want to make the trip back down.

Also, during the install, I asked if it was necessary to ground the cable lines coming in to the house.  The dish is mounted on the roof and the cable comes in through the underside of my eave and into the attic.  The installer said it was better not to ground it.

#4 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

I called them this morning and they thought it might be a problem with the cable barrel connectors on the wall plates. I checked all the connections on both sides of the wall plate and that did not resolve the issue. I also decided to take 2 of the clients and 2 TVs into my closet where the 8-way switch is located and connected the clients directly to the switch outputs. That did not resolve the issue either. Once I told them that I called DirecTV and they were coming on Wednesday, they told me just to let them know how it is resolved. The company that did the install is about 90 minutes away and I'm not sure they want to make the trip back down.

Also, during the install, I asked if it was necessary to ground the cable lines coming in to the house. The dish is mounted on the roof and the cable comes in through the underside of my eave and into the attic. The installer said it was better not to ground it.

Better (easier) for HIM. Not for you. The wall plate issue is usually the barrels on the wall plates, not necessarily the fittings. (However, if you see threads out the back of the fittings, or if the dielectric is recessed them that could also cause issues.) The barrels should be blue or orange high frequency barrels. Clear/white is no bueno with the genie and MRV.
Do all of your lines go into that 8 way splitter, or are there other splitters in the house? Are the unused ports terminated?

#)

Edited by DB Stalker, 04 November 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#)

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeah this is a cabling it lnb issue it sounds like. No need for that replacement HR24.

If tell them to come fix it.

#6 OFFLINE   arw547

arw547

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

So I went to work today and was still having the problems described earlier.  However, when I came home I was getting no signal at all on the genie (771 error).  The hr24 in the bedroom with one tuner was working fine.  I unplugged the power inserter, disconnected the main line from the splitter to the dish and waited about 30 seconds.  I then plugged everything back in and reset the genie and hr24.  The genie came back up fine and was now getting a signal on all 5 tuners.  However, now the hr24 is getting the 771 error.  Does this sound like a bad lnb?

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

FYI - when a HR24 is replaced by DirecTV, it is replaced with another HR24 (but from what others are saying, the 24 doesn't seem to be your problem).

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

FYI - when a HR24 is replaced by DirecTV, it is replaced with another HR24 (but from what others are saying, the 24 doesn't seem to be your problem).

Not necessarily the case.  if by "DirecTV" you mean its CSRs and techs

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Clear/white is no bueno with the genie and MRV. 

Not sure how a non-defective clear barrel can cause 771....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Not sure how a non-defective clear barrel can cause 771....

I was clarifying what they were referring to regarding the wallplates since he just mentioned checking the fittings. That's why I specified MRV and the Genie. More specifically the genies communication with the minis.

#)

#)

#11 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

arw547,

How about posting you Coax Network Stats. These can be accessed by pressing both the guide and right arrow "buttons" on the front panel, this will bring up a menu with coax as an option. Selecting it will start the testing. Post or screen shot the loss levels shown on screen and then check PHY Rate Mesh and post them.

Do the above process at both the HR44 and the HR24

More info avaialble here: http://hr20.dbstalk.... Networking.pdf Under the "Receivers with internal DECA" section

#12 OFFLINE   arw547

arw547

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

It turns out it was a bad LNB along with a bad hr-24.  After replacing the LNB, all tuners on the genie were getting signal.  The HR24 was still only getting signal on tuner 1.  Luckily my replacement hr24 arrived yesterday so once that was set-up and activated everything was working the way it should.  Thanks everyone for all your help.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Good news, and thanks for the update.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

I was going to say before seeing your resolved post that it sounded like it was either a bad lnb, or that some of your cables was rg59. But more than likely a bad lnb.

spam firewall