Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reasonable Feature Request(?)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

This is something I've always wondered about, although it's not something that is anywhere near an immense problem.  I've always wanted the DVR'd show that I was in the middle of watching to show up in the "Recent Channels" list.  Here is what I mean:  I was watching football yesterday, and I was flipping between 3 different games using the recent channels list in the info bar.  At some point, all 3 games were at halftime, so I started watching a show that I had recorded.  When I wanted to check each game to see if they were out of halftime, I would use recents to pick a game, then use last channel to get back to my show, then check the next game using recents, then last channel, and so on.   Sure, I could have checked each channel and then gone back to my DVR list to resume the show I was watching, but it was buried pretty deep in my list.  hmmm...use the back button?  I haven't tried that. 

Just curious if anyone else thinks this might be an easy "feature" for DirecTV to add on?  Just have the recording show as a "recent channel".  Last channel works, seeing the recording as the last "channel" that you were watching.  Wouldn't it be nice if the show you were recently watching (but didn't delete when you were done with it) was listed as a recent channel?

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

No offense, but this seems like a niche request, and a pretty small niche.

I would rather them use their resources to making the darn thing more reliable and add features that are more useful.

For instance, how come Smart Search can't search programs that are already recorded? This would be easier than sifting through 400 hours of recordings in the Play List when trying to find that oldest ep of a show that has been in hiatus for weeks. Just put a search field similar to those in every internet browser up in the corner of the Play List. No brainer.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

I've encountered this situation many times. It would be nice to have a recorded program show up on the LAST 4 drop-down. However, getting to that drop down requires a few button presses - INFO, RIGHT, DOWN, SELECT, etc.  I'm not at home to actually count the number of button presses, but pressing the LEFT button a few times gets you back to you the "Resume" option on your last recorded program rather quickly. Perhaps it will take a couple more presses in total, but since you only need to hit the LEFT and SELECT buttons respectively, it's easier to navigate through.

Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#4 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

No offense taken!  If I were offended by that, well, I would have pretty thin skin.  :cool:

I've always just thought that DVR recordings should be a part of Last 4 (Thanks, DBSnewbie). Previous channel "sees" a recording that you exited out of/stopped as the last channel you were on.  You can even "Prev" 2 recordings if you so choose.  Why not add DVR recordings that you have recently viewed (but haven't deleted) as a last 4? 

DBSnewbie has a good suggestion, and hitting left arrow might be a good solution in some situations like the one I mentioned..  But if I've been monkeying around in any menus or the guide, that won't work. 

Seems like this would be a pretty easy "feature" add on to implement.  Perhaps not.  I'm not a software engineer. 

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Actually If they worked Like ultimate tvs did you'd already have something similar to this. Ultimate tv basically assigned a channel to whatever was being played in your playlist.
  • mrdobolina likes this

#6 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Personally I'd like a play rest of folder option in the menu when you select a show. Cause say I'm saving an entire season of something and I'm watching them in series off fodder play if I have to stop the pay back I can't resume from that point again. At least on mrv...I can resume the site but not the folder play.
I do like the last recording watched in the last 4 option would be nice.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#7 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Actually If they worked Like ultimate tvs did you'd already have something similar to this. Ultimate tv basically assigned a channel to whatever was being played in your playlist.

Yes!!  That is exactly what I am talking about. I LOVED my Ultimate TV boxes. 

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

I can manually record a show on a specific channel at a specific time, it would be great if I could playback a specific prerecorded show at a specified time.

My parents love many shows on many channels.  Due to their combined age of 181, they can't run their DVR.  I could setup auto playbacks for them to time shift their favorite shows that are on during meal and home health care times, and they would really benefit.

#9 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

Just got home to check out the number of presses it takes to get back to your last recorded program that was being watched - after surfing through several live TV channels: It only takes two presses total. One LEFT then SELECT to resume where you had left off. Pretty quick, I would say.

Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)

Diagram of Setup

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

Well, you could do it remotely yourself if you set the unit up with a sling box as well.

#11 OFFLINE   Edkut

Edkut

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHampton NH

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

I have a recent upgrade to a HR44 Genie and also kept my HR22. Subscribed to whole home and all is well, except I would always leave the HR22 on a particular channel when shutting down at night so in the morning I can rewind to catch the local news. The HR44 does not work the same way. When I turn it on in the morning it starts the process at current time. I tried to shut off the power saving feature and this did not help. Any one else xperiencing this condition?

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:00 AM

Just curious if anyone else thinks this might be an easy "feature" for DirecTV to add on?  Just have the recording show as a "recent channel".  Last channel works, seeing the recording as the last "channel" that you were watching.  Wouldn't it be nice if the show you were recently watching (but didn't delete when you were done with it) was listed as a recent channel?

Not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but it certainly would come in handy at times. Good idea, IMHO.

/steve

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,452 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

I have a recent upgrade to a HR44 Genie and also kept my HR22. Subscribed to whole home and all is well, except I would always leave the HR22 on a particular channel when shutting down at night so in the morning I can rewind to catch the local news. The HR44 does not work the same way. When I turn it on in the morning it starts the process at current time. I tried to shut off the power saving feature and this did not help. Any one else xperiencing this condition?

Yup, that is how it works....  set up a SL if you want a buffer

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yup, that is how it works....  set up a SL if you want a buffer

I've found that sometimes there is a buffer when I turn it on.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,607 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yes, sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. Set up a Series Link with the channel you want in the a.m., set it to keep one recording. That way you'll always have a known buffer proxy. 

As to the OP, I have my sort on most recent, so it's easy to switch among programs that are running concurrently. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

Last 4 as recent channels? I'm not sure I see any real value in that. Go to the Play List in a single button-press (sorted by newest, which is typically the default setting), and Boom! There are the last 7 recordings staring you in the face (some may be in folders, but as the top entry).

My point was that if you have a search box, you can type in "CH", for instance, and the Play List truncates in size to titles with words in them starting with "CH", which means a folder holding the last 8 episodes of Chuck (which I have been holding onto for a couple years) that I would otherwise have to scroll until my thumbs hurt to find, would probably be at or near the top of a single page.

I think anyone who has ever had a 2 TB drive that has been installed for any length of time, which is probably half the forum members or better, can relate to the obvious value there.

New recordings, not that hard to locate; old recordings on a 2013-sized HDD, a PITA without this search function.

All I want is for some mid-level software guru working for DTV to blatantly steal this idea (your's for free) and become a hero to his bosses, and to us.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Just got home to check out the number of presses it takes to get back to your last recorded program that was being watched - after surfing through several live TV channels: It only takes two presses total. One LEFT then SELECT to resume where you had left off. Pretty quick, I would say.

That's assuming 1.  That I haven't gone into the guide or any other menus, and 2. (not that this would add a bunch of button pushes) the channel info banner is not currently up on the screen (would add at least one more LEFT push), right?

#18 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Last 4 as recent channels? I'm not sure I see any real value in that. Go to the Play List in a single button-press (sorted by newest, which is typically the default setting), and Boom! There are the last 7 recordings staring you in the face (some may be in folders, but as the top entry).

My point was that if you have a search box, you can type in "CH", for instance, and the Play List truncates in size to titles with words in them starting with "CH", which means a folder holding the last 8 episodes of Chuck (which I have been holding onto for a couple years) that I would otherwise have to scroll until my thumbs hurt to find, would probably be at or near the top of a single page.

I think anyone who has ever had a 2 TB drive that has been installed for any length of time, which is probably half the forum members or better, can relate to the obvious value there.

New recordings, not that hard to locate; old recordings on a 2013-sized HDD, a PITA without this search function.

All I want is for some mid-level software guru working for DTV to blatantly steal this idea (your's for free) and become a hero to his bosses, and to us.

So half of the forum members here have 2 TB hard drives for quite some time?  Does that equal half of all DVRs currently in use by DTV customers?  EVERY DVR has "last 4" available, and I have to assume that every DVR user watches recordings (why have a DVR if not?) and live TV at some time.  You can't just sort alphabetically when you're looking for Chuck?   That's only a few more button pushes, isn't it?  Fewer than getting into PIP, I'd bet.

Anyway, sorry to bring up an idea for a feature I would like to see, think others might use,  and think might be easy to implement.  Nobody has ever done that before, so I apologize.  :sure:

#19 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

That's assuming 1.  That I haven't gone into the guide or any other menus, and 2. (not that this would add a bunch of button pushes) the channel info banner is not currently up on the screen (would add at least one more LEFT push), right?

Yes. Hadn't thought of that. But, like I had mentioned in an earlier post, since you are only pressing the LEFT button (no matter how many presses it takes) to get to RESUME, it is much easier to plant your finger on that one button rather than INFO, RIGHT, SELECT, DOWN, SELECT, etc.

Diagram of Setup

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

So half of the forum members here have 2 TB hard drives for quite some time?  Does that equal half of all DVRs currently in use by DTV customers?  EVERY DVR has "last 4" available, and I have to assume that every DVR user watches recordings (why have a DVR if not?) and live TV at some time.  You can't just sort alphabetically when you're looking for Chuck?   That's only a few more button pushes, isn't it?  Fewer than getting into PIP, I'd bet.

Anyway, sorry to bring up an idea for a feature I would like to see, think others might use,  and think might be easy to implement.  Nobody has ever done that before, so I apologize.  :sure:

There is certainly no need to apologize (I am going to play this straight and ignore any possibility of your response being merely sarcastic; that, I would accept an apology for), but (assuming no sarcasm) it is also refreshing to see a poster who is as gracious as you are, which is far from the norm, and I appreciate that. Your idea is a valid one. And my idea is also a niche request, I freely admit; I just feel it is a feature that more folks would find more useful, and probably easier to technically implement.

True, "half" is a wild guess; it could be a lot less, but it also could be a lot more than half.

But how many folks that represents as far as those who could take advantage is not only consistent with that; everyone that records more than 15 shows a week or keeps a show that is not currently airing for more than a week or two would benefit from search in the Play List. Those with tons of recordings would just benefit all the more.

And non-members by definition do not care as much about how DTV or anyone else designs their DVRs, generally speaking, and if DTV is monitoring their customers to find out what would make them happier, they are not polling them, they are crawling this forum and a few like it because we are the low-hanging fruit of good ideas while the gen pop is not.

Sorting by alpha turns out to be more of a pain, actually, than just scrolling; it takes more navigation brain power/concentration than a search box, or even just blindly pressing buttons until you scroll through tons of pages. And it implies that you have to reconfigure back to "latest" after you are done. I've tried both in significant testing, and it turns out that even if the show starts with a or b, or y or z, (and most are somewhere in the middle of the alphabet meaning it only cuts the scrolling in half) it is less annoying to just power through the 50 button-presses, which is also pretty annoying. A search box would not be annoying at all, and that is an exercise the normal 2013 human does half a dozen times a day on the internet anyway, so the muscle memory is already there.

And I did not mean to hijack, or steal your thunder, so I am the one who needs to apologize; let's hope they adopt all of our good ideas. I'm rooting for that.

Edited by TomCat, 05 November 2013 - 07:58 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...