Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR24 making loud noises

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

D* is sending me a replacement HR DVR to replace the 24. What are the chances of getting a HR24?  What kind of problems can I expect  in swapping out the HR24 if they send an HR23 or HR22?

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Smaller hard drives is the biggee.  

Boxes are very similar; you're looking at a mature product line that has experienced frequent software upgrades.

All depends on the specific replacement you get.  An HR24 on it's 4th refurb cycle might be less preferable than an HR22 previously used by granny in Oxnard California who spent more time playing bingo at the Legion Hall than time shifting Wheel of Fortune at home.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Smaller hard drives is the biggee.  

with the exception of the HR21 and HR20, all of the HR2x has the same hard rive, 500GB and those has been  EOL'ed

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,311 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

D* is sending me a replacement HR DVR to replace the 24. What are the chances of getting a HR24?  What kind of problems can I expect  in swapping out the HR24 if they send an HR23 or HR22?

Chances are you'll get another 24 (I've had 3 replaced and all replacements have been 24s). Of course I plugged one in and it immediately sounded like a jet engine ingesting a suitcase.  Even with all that noise that the CSR could hear, she said 'it works'.  Lasted about 45 days.  When I had that one replaced, the $19.95 S/H was waived. Received yet another 24.  Refurbished.  Gov makes a valid point above.

Watch all the shows you can on this unit and make sure you know all the SLs you have programmed. The inconvenience is when you have a show set that isn't airing right now; you have to remember when it comes back on to add it to your SL. 

Earlier models will need a DECA to attach. If you get a 22/23 w/o the DECA, call them back immediately and have them FEDEX one. 

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,903 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

Do have Whole Home? If you do, they need to include all the DECA parts. If no DECA parts, sent it back.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

You should likely get a hr24 replacement.  DO you have mrv and deca?

#7 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses.  The unit just came in and it's an HR24-500.  The case looks like new, but by looking closely at the front panel, it does not appear to be brand new.  Manufacture date is 11/03/10, but then we have had the one we have now since Oct. 2011.   I'll hook it up tonight and see how it works.    I do have whole home. In addition to this one, I have a genie, and two HD25's.  Thanks folks

Edited by n3vino, 05 November 2013 - 01:12 PM.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#8 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Glad it all worked out OK for you. I recently had my HR24-100 go crazy with locking up while playing back recorded material. D* told me they would try to replace with same type, but could not guarantee. My replacement arrived the next day and it too was an HR24-500. I couldn't be happier.

For giggles you may want to track your return shipment. Mine sat in the local post office from Wednesday to Saturday before they shipped it out and took another four days to get back to Texas. Since I dropped it off at the post office I kept trying to track it at the USPS website. Nothing. It turns out that the tracking number they give you is for FedEx. You can follow it there. I only tracked it to be sure it got there since the penalty is rather stiff if you do not return the receiver.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,311 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Glad it all worked out OK for you. I recently had my HR24-100 go crazy with locking up while playing back recorded material. D* told me they would try to replace with same type, but could not guarantee. My replacement arrived the next day and it too was an HR24-500. I couldn't be happier.

For giggles you may want to track your return shipment. Mine sat in the local post office from Wednesday to Saturday before they shipped it out and took another four days to get back to Texas. Since I dropped it off at the post office I kept trying to track it at the USPS website. Nothing. It turns out that the tracking number they give you is for FedEx. You can follow it there. I only tracked it to be sure it got there since the penalty is rather stiff if you do not return the receiver.

DirecTV says they can't guarantee a specific receiver because they (the HR2*) units are all considered the same. Multiple people have said their system doesn't know the difference.

Yet when it comes time to replace an HR24, the system has the ability to ensure the same model is sent.

Bob -- on your tracking: Usually if you type the tracking number directly into Google, it knows the difference between USPS, UPS and FedEx and takes you to the proper site.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

I do believe that is because of built in deca vs not built in.

#11 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:09 PM

I do believe that is because of built in deca vs not built in.

I can't begin to imagine what I would do if they sent me a 22-100 instead of a 24.  I know I'd get a 24 pretty quickly.  But, truthfully, I can't imagine that happening.  I've been well treated by D* since '08.  Before then, it was a nightmare.

Your point about the Decas being built into the 24s is good.  That would make them "functionally unequivalent" to the rest of the two tuner sets.  Not that D* would acknowledge that.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

In DirecTV's view I suppose a Timex and a Rolex are "functionally equivalent."  :eek2:

So are Kia and Rolls Royce.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#13 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

In DirecTV's view I suppose a Timex and a Rolex are "functionally equivalent."  :eek2:

So are Kia and Rolls Royce.

Bill, I gotta admit I think a Timex and a Rolex are functionally equal.  But I'm not big on jewelry and having a watch worth thousands of dollars that performs the same functions as a fifty buck Timex makes no sense to me.  

What D*'s done with the equivalency thing is convince thousands, perhaps millions of folks that a 22-100 is somehow the same as a 24.  Or any 21 series DVR is the equivalent of a 20-700.  I just don't think that's fair.  But, if you keep repeating the same lie over and over, people will accept it as truth.  So really, all D* has done is take advantage of human nature.  That seems to be what all retailers do.  Caveat emptor.  

Rich 

• damondlt likes this

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:33 AM

Bill, I gotta admit I think a Timex and a Rolex are functionally equal.  But I'm not big on jewelry and having a watch worth thousands of dollars that performs the same functions as a fifty buck Timex makes no sense to me.  

What D*'s done with the equivalency thing is convince thousands, perhaps millions of folks that a 22-100 is somehow the same as a 24.  Or any 21 series DVR is the equivalent of a 20-700.  I just don't think that's fair.  But, if you keep repeating the same lie over and over, people will accept it as truth.  So really, all D* has done is take advantage of human nature.  That seems to be what all retailers do.  Caveat emptor.  

Rich 

While I do agree with most of your statement, to be fair Directv also gave out lots of HR24's in place of HR22-23s.

I would say its about 50/50.

#15 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

While I do agree with most of your statement, to be fair Directv also gave out lots of HR24's in place of HR22-23s.

I would say its about 50/50.

Agreed, you have to give them credit for that.  I've talked to many folks at D* since the 24s came out and they all agreed with my opinion of the 21 Series.  Well, I shouldn't say all of them, I should say all of the people I talked to since the 24s came out that understood what I was talking about agreed with my opinion.

Rich 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...