Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Max external hard drive size

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:25 AM

Actually, we went too far offtopic.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

All I will add is... I worked for a company that did this sort of thing.  There were computers that supported USB for keyboard and mouse but not a lot else

This is fairly common. I have a number of devices with USB ports that can be used only to connect very specific USB devices. Keyboards in one case, flash drives in several cases, a specific identified list of wi-fi adaptors in another case, their-own optional programming device in another case, etc.

These devices use the common networking image (as found on Dish DVRs), their own made up image, or no markings at all.

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

Exactly...  they made no claims that it was a standard USB port nor certified to be such.  People assume that all USB ports are the same... and I can agree that the whole point of standards should be to ensure such things for consumers...  but companies don't always adhere to those standards.

So back to topic...  discussion on what should or should not be supported is somewhat moot.  Dish has said what they support in terms of size and type of external hard drive, and that's what we're stuck with essentially.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall