Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

External Raid Hard Drive for HR44?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   YosefDBS

YosefDBS

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

ThankYouThankYouThankYou -- BowBowBow -- Genuflect spelled correctly.

Let's go to the well again...

I picked up a Sans Digital MR2UT (http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1),

loaded it with two 2TB WD WD2003FYYS (http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1),

set it to position 5 (RAID 1 <=2TB) & reset it per instructions to make sure RAID is established.

Enclosure is on, first (green) "Power" led is on, connect to THR-22 Tivo DirecTV DVR's eSATA connection, power on THR-22, second (yellow) "Link" led comes on and

the THR-22 cycles through "a few more seconds" (blue screen), "a few more minutes" (cute Tivo screen), a green "Error" screen, a purple "need to format HDD" screen, for days.

During all this, the HDD leds on the enclosure stay blue indicating no HDD access.

At one point, I took the 1TB External Hard Drive I'd used for years with a DTV HD DVR and plugged it into the Tivo and the same thing happened.  I've tried a bunch of different HDD's in various single drive enclosures all with the same outcome.

Sure that there's something wrong with the THR-22 itself, I had DTV send me another THR-22 - it's doing the same thing.

Please oh please master of DTV DVR Ext HDDs, solve this as easily as you did the Genie.

P.S.  On the Genie's external enclosure, I didn't partition the array.  When Windows "Manage" "Disk Management" came up it said that in order to proceed I had to choose MBR or GPT.  Being the array is 9TB I chose GPT but stopped there - I didn't create a partition on the array.  As near as I can tell, it's working fine now.  :)

Edited by YosefDBS, 09 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I picked up a Sans Digital MR2UT (http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1),

loaded it with two 2TB WD WD2003FYYS (http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1),

set it to position 5 (RAID 1 <=2TB) & reset it per instructions to make sure RAID is established.

try to make simple MBR partitin first, format as NTFS (if you  on Windows)  see if your PC could write/read to it

Edited by P Smith, 09 July 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

try to make simple MBR partitin first, format as NTFS (if you  on Windows)  see if your PC could write/read to it

He said he set it to position 5, RAID 1.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

He said he set it to position 5, RAID 1.

well, you missed the point of post-RAID settings,

the drive would be better have a partition and better to do a verification how it's working with PC before connect it to DVR

spam firewall