Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie, 0x0797/0x799, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

This is the official Issues and Discussion thread for all Genie DVRs.

HR34 0x799
HR44 0x797

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...nie-0x7970x799/

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

While Sports Destination is cool, I find the ability to search by subject matter even cooler.

Now if I'm interested in seeing what movies are currently playing on the channels I get I can just double click the guide and select "Movie &Events" or if I'm interceded in seeing what's on maybe DIY OR Syfy I can just select "Entertainment & Music Channels". Rather than having to scroll through the whole guide to find the subject matter I am currently interest in, this makes it much more focused IMO. Good job DTV.

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

While Sports Destination is cool, I find the ability to search by subject matter even cooler.

Now if I'm interested in seeing what movies are currently playing on the channels I get I can just double click the guide and select "Movie &Events" or if I'm interceded in seeing what's on maybe DIY OR Syfy I can just select "Entertainment & Music Channels". Rather than having to scroll through the whole guide to find the subject matter I am currently interest in, this makes it much more focused IMO. Good job DTV.

The double "click" guide deal has always been there.  When the first HR20 came out what was what you got first and had to double "click" for the guide itself.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

The double "click" guide deal has always been there.  When the first HR20 came out what was what you got first and had to double "click" for the guide itself.

That goes to show you how much I pay attention! Thanks. The update I received today finally brought my attention to it.

#5 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Even after two reset receiver reboots, the guide, and the various menus are less responsive an HR34.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,971 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Did the Guide get flushed?? If so, it takes time to rebuild. If not, it wasn't done right. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

It did improve a few hours after my post. Othe rthan that, I have not noticed any sliggishness or any issues which were in the previous releases.

Did the Guide get flushed?? If so, it takes time to rebuild. If not, it wasn't done right. 

#8 OFFLINE   lawnmowerdeth

lawnmowerdeth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Well, the current update fixed my broken TV apps, so that's good!

System had internet according to the dash button, and I could download on demand, but TV apps said no internet connected.  It was super annoying.

#9 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Wow what an update, the HR34 has slowed down to a crawl. Almost seems like its freezing, yet just so disgustingly slow. This new HR34 (after 3 others failed) has been perfect for months, now this. Dont they test these things before they release them???.. Great Job DTV!!

EDIT - All flushed, reset, etc... yet another DTV firmware DUD!!

Edited by Datagg, 10 November 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Wow what an update, the HR34 has slowed down to a crawl. Almost seems like its freezing, yet just so disgustingly slow. This new HR34 (after 3 others failed) has been perfect for months, now this. Dont they test these things before they release them???.. Great Job DTV!!

EDIT - All flushed, reset, etc... yet another DTV firmware DUD!!

You do know that when the guide data is flushed it can take near 48 hours to rebuild everything, right?  During that rebuild process I'd expect the unit to be slower. 

• Laxguy likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

You do know that when the guide data is flushed it can take near 48 hours to rebuild everything, right?  During that rebuild process I'd expect the unit to be slower. 

Yes, Unforturently I know it all too well.

Edited by Datagg, 11 November 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Is this a piece-meal rollout ? I was checking firmware watcher and it says 744 is still the current firmware for the HR44.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

#13 OFFLINE   thecougarguy

thecougarguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Skip to tick is very slow on my HR44-200 after the update.

#14 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

Just wondering with the new software release can you do a OTA scan with a am21 hooked yo a hr44".........

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Just wondering with the new software release can you do a OTA scan with a am21 hooked yo a hr44".........

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

No, that's gone and probably not coming back.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:48 AM

The world remains stable. My favorite screwup remains unchanged - and unalphabetic:

Listing of sports still has "soccer" ahead of "snowboarding" - as it has been for years.

#17 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

No, that's gone and probably not coming back.

Thanks for the info

#18 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Skip to tick is very slow on my HR44-200 after the update.

WHat I'm noticiing is the skip is pretty quick, but there's a long lag in the progress bar catching up.

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

Is this a piece-meal rollout ? I was checking firmware watcher and it says 744 is still the current firmware for the HR44.

All software updates are rolled out over a multi-week period.  You're better off not being one of the first people to receive new firmware.  If there are problems, DirecTV can stop the rollout and you won't be affected.  If you're in the first group and there are problems, then you are stuck with those problems until they are fixed.

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

All software updates are rolled out over a multi-week period. 

No, not all. There have been some in the past that go to everyone at once.  This update however is a staggered release.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...