Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie, 0x0797/0x799, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Report 20131121-2E00
Hr44/700

Skip to tick isn't working correctly on live buffers. FF then skip or jump back has a 3-5 second delay. It causes the user to stack commands and then offers unpredictable results in where you land. On a related note, when switching buffers in DoublePlay or PIP, there's a 5 second audio delay when switching to a buffered tuner. It seems to switch OK if the destination buffer is live.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 993 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Report 20131121-2E00
Hr44/700

Skip to tick isn't working correctly on live buffers. FF then skip or jump back has a 3-5 second delay. It causes the user to stack commands and then offers unpredictable results in where you land. On a related note, when switching buffers in DoublePlay or PIP, there's a 5 second audio delay when switching to a buffered tuner. It seems to switch OK if the destination buffer is live.

I've had this issue for some time(maybe a year or more) on several different firmwares on both an HR34 and an HR44 so I don't think it is related to this particular update. On another note, when watching on my HR44, a recording from my HR21, when FF at 2x or 3x, there now seems to be an actual "skip-back" being done on the HR44. In the past, the "skip-back" did not function properly and most often it would "jump ahead" instead. Hope this continues. When watching a recorded program actually recorded on my HR44, the "skip-back"  time is variable. Some shows it doesn't work at all and other shows it "skips-back" a few seconds. Kind of annoying, I try to be very quick when FF'ing but it seems to vary by recording. My "old and slow" HR21 does the FF function much better.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#53 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I've had this issue for some time(maybe a year or more) on several different firmwares on both an HR34 and an HR44 so I don't think it is related to this particular update. 

Regarding your audio delay, I wanted ti ask if you use an AVR patached by and HDMI cable, and what brand of AVR you use.  I use a Pioneer 1022-k.  I didn't have those audio delays when it used my HR24, and I got the problem with the HR44 from day one.  I ask because when I called DirectTV they intimated the problem might be with my AVR.  They also indicated they had no record of others with that problem, so you may want to report it like I did.

#54 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Regarding your audio delay, I wanted ti ask if you use an AVR patached by and HDMI cable, and what brand of AVR you use.  I use a Pioneer 1022-k.  I didn't have those audio delays when it used my HR24, and I got the problem with the HR44 from day one.  I ask because when I called DirectTV they intimated the problem might be with my AVR.  They also indicated they had no record of others with that problem, so you may want to report it like I did.

I use an optical cable to my Onkyo AVR. I have not reported it to DTV. I also get this delay when just using my TV speakers which is connected via HDMI.

#55 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 606 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

I use an optical cable to my Onkyo AVR. I have not reported it to DTV. I also get this delay when just using my TV speakers which is connected via HDMI.

I'm old and a little hard of hearing so if I turn up the volume too much, my wife complains.  I solved this issue by connecting a pair of ear buds to the TV which disables the TV output to its speakers.  My wife listens to our HR44 through a Sony AVR connected with optical cable.  I have noticed that when I do a skip or change channels and other things, the audio is there immediately on my ear buds but there is a few second delay before audio returns to the AVR.  I think the problem with the current version of firmware for the Genies with audio delay is only happening on the optical cable from the DVR.

HR10-250   250G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD 0x0912 AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD 0x0992
DirecTV since 1997

#56 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have observed audio lag issues during trick play while watching HD programming, but only if the DVR was tuned to an SD program immediately before watching the HD channel/recording.  If I switch from one HD program to another HD program, the audio lag issues go away.  This is with an Onkyo AVR connected via HDMI.

So, try putting the DVR on an HD channel (doesn't matter which one) before starting to watch whatever channel/recording you want to watch.  If your experience is like mine, this will resolve the audio lag.  I used to leave the DVR on GSN (an SD channel) by default, but after discovering the cause of this issue I now put the DVR on ESPN instead.

Edited by dvdmth, 21 November 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

So it does sound to me (and I could be wrong) that the audio delay issue that occurs when you switch to a buffered tuner (suing DoublePlay ir PIP) is an issue with the HR44, and not our random audio devices. Note the issue doesn't occur if the destination buffer is live. I also just tried all combinations of HD and SD as the post above suggested, and that didn't make a difference for me. I think that's a separate or different issue.

It also sounds like it happens if we connect using optical or HDMI.   Interesting, I was thinking the issue may've involved the complexities of an HDMI handshake.

Maybe smarter minds than mine could draw some conclusions that might help DirecTV fix this.  

#58 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

HR44-500

firmware 0x797

report 20131121-1309

Black screen happened again tonight.  The screen is frozen black as I send this report.  I got the message about loss of Signal on sat in 2 and then it went blank.  The black screen went away when I hit the channel up.  I was watching Fox Business on channel 359 when it occurred.

Edit to add

It happened again and while I was on the frozen black screen, I went to the signal meter.  I didn't stay long, but it looked like I was losing signal on the odd transponders on 101 for at least tuner 1, 2 and 5.  I went to my HR24 in another room that is on the same leg of my SWM-16 and the signal for 101 on tuners 1 and 2 were in the 97's to 100's.  So it looks like this release is knocking out the tuners somehow.

Edited by Getteau, 21 November 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#59 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 415 posts
  • LocationNE New Jersey

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Skip-to-tick is really messed up, but worse is the pixelation and sound drop outs when watching recordings. These were NEVER present in my HR44 until this update. I rebooted (twice) after noticing the issues in a couple recordings, but even after the reboots the problem still exists. Not happy.

#60 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have observed audio lag issues during trick play while watching HD programming, but only if the DVR was tuned to an SD program immediately before watching the HD channel/recording. If I switch from one HD program to another HD program, the audio lag issues go away. This is with an Onkyo AVR connected via HDMI.

So, try putting the DVR on an HD channel (doesn't matter which one) before starting to watch whatever channel/recording you want to watch. If your experience is like mine, this will resolve the audio lag. I used to leave the DVR on GSN (an SD channel) by default, but after discovering the cause of this issue I now put the DVR on ESPN instead.

Since being a D* customer I've had three AVR's. First AVR was a Denon, no audio delays but replaced it because it did not have HDMI connections. My second was a Onkyo, and returned it for a Pioneer which is my current AVR. I thought the Onkyo ran a little warm, but the main reason I returned it was of the audio delay/lag when changing channels. It didn't matter if I was going from SD to HD, or HD to HD it always had an audio delay/lag. If I was watching a DVD it would have an audio delay/lag if I skipped thru chapters.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#61 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 734 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have since disconnected the Genie running x0797 due to all the issues, my wife has been giving me nasty looks with the freezing, pixellation issues which happens with the WHDVR option also.  Spread out all the series links to all of our HR24's, so thank god I did not trade them in for clients at that time.

Will monitor the forums and keep the Genie until the problems appear fixed, which means no GenieGO for us either. 

Please get this fixed DirecTV.   :(

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#62 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,854 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Why no genie go?  Its not tied to a genie, it works independently with any unit.

And do you mean you literally unplugged the genie from power?

#63 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

I received the update 2 days ago for my HR44/700. So far it has been very stable on my platform, no issues so far. I have not tried out the new sports feature yet.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

#64 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Here is an oddity I saw today....Pressed the new "Sports" search icon, first screen is "Today". It shows the icon for Formula 1, when I select it, it pops up that the F1 qually is on today at 10am my time(which is MTN zone). On the "My Teams" page I have selected to follow/record F1 and when I press the F1 icon  there, it shows that the F1 qually is already being recorded(because it actually started at 9am MST).  2 different times displayed in the same menu?.......Luckily the HR44 did actually record at the correct time......

Edited by bnwrx, 23 November 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#65 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 734 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Why no genie go? Its not tied to a genie, it works independently with any unit.

And do you mean you literally unplugged the genie from power?

Good call.....forgot I needed a Genie to get one, but not tied to it for operation if I shut the Genie off.

And yes, I did unplug the power supply from the Genie, since then everything is working great including WHDVR across all my HR-24's. My wife likes me again. :)

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#66 OFFLINE   mrphil

mrphil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

0x797 HR44/500

Going to any SonicTap Channel, the 'More Info' banner is highlighted, which requires you to press 'Exit" to make that go away, until then, you can't even upchannel//downchannel.  Once another song starts, the 'More Info' banner reappears requiring once again an 'Exit' command. This doesn't occur on other channels, just SonicTap, and is annoying. Don't know when this 'feature' was added, but it needs to go away! :bang

(1) HR44-500 w/Ethernet / AM21 / Monsoon Vulkano 010410VL
USpeed AK-68UPSHDDS-BU Dock / WD30EURS 3TB Drive
(1) HR24-500 / Antec MX-1 Dock / WD20EVDS 2TB Drive
(2) C41-100 Clients / Monsoon Vulkano 010410VF

#67 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

Another SNAFU for the HR34-700/AM21 running 799.

Same as before, watching NFL ST games in a custom menu for only the NFL games being played.

Several times during Sunday afternoon when I press channel up the channel changes to the next channel but the Channel Banner goes nuts.

It rapidly scrolls through the custom menu channel listings in an endless loop. While this is happening the new channel displays normally. First time I say this I hit channel down and it switched to some other channel and stopped scrolling. Later I let it run and there seemed to be no end to the scrolling.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#68 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

HR44-500
Update is stable, all though I did have to reboot the HR44 and the HR24 because whole house sharing wasn't working. Sports search working without a hitch. The only thing I noticed with this update is the text in the GUI looks off, not as sharp, kind of out of focus.

#69 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

Okay, this might have been around for a while, but I just noticed it after this last download...

When viewing the PlayList, it now will say "On Now" when the show being recorded is currently on. When viewing the info of a show, it no longer has the option for "Upcoming" and now says "Other Showings". Also, when viewing "Other Showings", all the VOD listings show the Season and Episode number.

Nice!

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#70 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

My update has been very stable. The next move is getting the c41w when they come available.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#71 OFFLINE   golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Is it safe to assume that this release is still being rolled out? I checked my HR34-700 this morning and still on the old release.

#72 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,635 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Is it safe to assume that this release is still being rolled out? I checked my HR34-700 this morning and still on the old release.

Yup, it should be coming your way....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#73 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 554 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

HR44-500
Update is stable, all though I did have to reboot the HR44 and the HR24 because whole house sharing wasn't working. Sports search working without a hitch. The only thing I noticed with this update is the text in the GUI looks off, not as sharp, kind of out of focus.

Update:
Text in GUI looks fine. One day it's off, the other it's ok. Maybe it was just my middle aged eyes :(

#74 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,143 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:46 AM

If you've tuned (on purpose or accidentally) to an SD channel, you'll get a below par GUI in the Guide or List....

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#75 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 993 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

This version has been out for a couple of weeks now, but this site http://www.redh.com/dtv/ has been showing the previous version  as being in the stream for the last few days. I know that last week, I looked and saw this latest version being in the stream on a couple different days, during daylight hours. Could it be DTV has been receiving complaints about the new version and has now put it on hold?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...