Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie, 0x0797/0x799, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

I rec'd the update last Tuesday (the 12th) on my HR44-500. Its worked well for us since then.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Bill Milford

Bill Milford

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

. Did you do a reset, wait till its back to live TV then do another one again immediately? That will flush guide data that way and sometimes helps clear certain issues.

I will try that.  I have reset numerous times.  I even reset to defaults, disconnected the AM21, unplugged the genie clients.  Next I was going to try to turn off whole home and power cycle the SWM-16.  

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,104 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Actually power cycling the swim while everything else is literally unplugged can help sometimes as well with weird issues.

#44 OFFLINE   LarryS

LarryS

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Have a hr34 now with 799. Had problems with pixelation on recordings. When I play back saved pixelated programs the pixelation is still there so I assume that bug is associated with the recording process. A new problem has come up with 799. On watching live shows periodically the picture will freeze sometimes with an image or sometimes with a blank screen. This stays that way for 10-20 seconds and then resumes normal operation.
Panasonic plasma 42px60u
Sony STR-DE925
HR-34-700
WET610N Wireless n connected to switch to DECA
AT-9 slimline dish w/SWM lnb
Harmony 880
HR-24-500 HDMI
Panasonic LCD TCL32C22
MRV

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,629 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Im starting to wonder if the CE program (amateurs) is the only way they Beta test...

So how you recommend they do the BETA testing?  in a lab??? with no real user feedback

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

So how you recommend they do the BETA testing?  in a lab??? with no real user feedback

I used to do CE here. It was said many times to send error reports, granted they may not even look. That works well huh?

Plenty of companies use a select group for beta testing and do it right, Directv obviously hasnt figured out a reliable process. If they want to continue to release CE's for people on forums to play with fine, but they need to start investing a little more professional time in getting the SW right, because their current process is poor.

I know a lot of people love it because they get to play with new goodies, but in the mean while for the normal paying customer (the majority) that don't know about CE nor care, they have to deal with buggy dvr's. As far as "real user feedback", all Ill say is a lot of the people that get on the CE couldn't trouble shoot their way down a one way street.

I do not care about this new sports search, or youtube, or an HD GUI, what I care about is being able to watch recordings that dont freeze and/or play back in a herky jerk motion. Id also like for my remote keep working on the little red dot score channels, instead of randomly ignoring commands...

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#47 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

They are obviously getting worse. I got my HR44 late Sept and it worked great; ever since 744 its been developing issues. No excuse for backward movements at this point.

Im starting to wonder if the CE program (amateurs) is the only way they Beta test...

How do you know that DTV  doesn't have its own group of "dedicated" testers?

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

Have a hr34 now with 799. Had problems with pixelation on recordings. When I play back saved pixelated programs the pixelation is still there so I assume that bug is associated with the recording process. A new problem has come up with 799. On watching live shows periodically the picture will freeze sometimes with an image or sometimes with a blank screen. This stays that way for 10-20 seconds and then resumes normal operation.

Same here.  The freezing seems to have started around the 15th, which is when the server says it was updated to 799.

I'm also wondering if this build introduced an odd but relatively harmless issue with hitting the "previous" button that goes back a few seconds.  If I do it quickly after coming off a fast forward or skip, it only goes back one time and gives me a bonk sound.  I have to wait a second then go back further.  Used to be I could start hitting the previous/skip back button as much as I wanted after hitting play or letting the DVR resume playback.

#49 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

HR44-500

firmware 0x797

report 20131120-126E

Got the 797 firmware this morning at 2:35AM and I just started noticing freezing and pixelation as I was watching TV tonight.  The screen is frozen black as I send this report.  The pixelation started right after the box gave me a message along the lines of loss of Signal on sat in 1 and then a couple of seconds later it gave me the same message for sat 2.  The black screen went away when I hit the channel up.  I was watching The Big Bang Theory on Chanel 26 in Houston when the screen froze black.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#50 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

I got 797 on my HR44 yesterday morning. I was not home until relatively late in the evening and saw that my "DVR has been updated."  I have been having a problem recording games on NHL CI where if I try to start watching after the game has begun, the recording will start with an error message that "all or part of this program did not record.  Scanning for recorded content."  It would then jump not to the beginning of the broadcast but to the end.  So, last night I set it to record a hockey game at 10 pm on NHL CI, and then started watching it 20 minutes after the recording started.  Luckily, the new software seems to have solved this problem.  I still got the message that the program did not record, but instead of jumping to the end, it started at the beginning.  I hope this is indeed a fix and continues with other recordings.

I only watched a few things last night, but so far I have not had the freezing or pixellation that others have reported.

SMK

#51 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Report 20131121-2E00
Hr44/700

Skip to tick isn't working correctly on live buffers. FF then skip or jump back has a 3-5 second delay. It causes the user to stack commands and then offers unpredictable results in where you land. On a related note, when switching buffers in DoublePlay or PIP, there's a 5 second audio delay when switching to a buffered tuner. It seems to switch OK if the destination buffer is live.

#52 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Report 20131121-2E00
Hr44/700

Skip to tick isn't working correctly on live buffers. FF then skip or jump back has a 3-5 second delay. It causes the user to stack commands and then offers unpredictable results in where you land. On a related note, when switching buffers in DoublePlay or PIP, there's a 5 second audio delay when switching to a buffered tuner. It seems to switch OK if the destination buffer is live.

I've had this issue for some time(maybe a year or more) on several different firmwares on both an HR34 and an HR44 so I don't think it is related to this particular update. On another note, when watching on my HR44, a recording from my HR21, when FF at 2x or 3x, there now seems to be an actual "skip-back" being done on the HR44. In the past, the "skip-back" did not function properly and most often it would "jump ahead" instead. Hope this continues. When watching a recorded program actually recorded on my HR44, the "skip-back"  time is variable. Some shows it doesn't work at all and other shows it "skips-back" a few seconds. Kind of annoying, I try to be very quick when FF'ing but it seems to vary by recording. My "old and slow" HR21 does the FF function much better.

#53 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I've had this issue for some time(maybe a year or more) on several different firmwares on both an HR34 and an HR44 so I don't think it is related to this particular update. 

Regarding your audio delay, I wanted ti ask if you use an AVR patached by and HDMI cable, and what brand of AVR you use.  I use a Pioneer 1022-k.  I didn't have those audio delays when it used my HR24, and I got the problem with the HR44 from day one.  I ask because when I called DirectTV they intimated the problem might be with my AVR.  They also indicated they had no record of others with that problem, so you may want to report it like I did.

#54 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Regarding your audio delay, I wanted ti ask if you use an AVR patached by and HDMI cable, and what brand of AVR you use.  I use a Pioneer 1022-k.  I didn't have those audio delays when it used my HR24, and I got the problem with the HR44 from day one.  I ask because when I called DirectTV they intimated the problem might be with my AVR.  They also indicated they had no record of others with that problem, so you may want to report it like I did.

I use an optical cable to my Onkyo AVR. I have not reported it to DTV. I also get this delay when just using my TV speakers which is connected via HDMI.

#55 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

I use an optical cable to my Onkyo AVR. I have not reported it to DTV. I also get this delay when just using my TV speakers which is connected via HDMI.

I'm old and a little hard of hearing so if I turn up the volume too much, my wife complains.  I solved this issue by connecting a pair of ear buds to the TV which disables the TV output to its speakers.  My wife listens to our HR44 through a Sony AVR connected with optical cable.  I have noticed that when I do a skip or change channels and other things, the audio is there immediately on my ear buds but there is a few second delay before audio returns to the AVR.  I think the problem with the current version of firmware for the Genies with audio delay is only happening on the optical cable from the DVR.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#56 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have observed audio lag issues during trick play while watching HD programming, but only if the DVR was tuned to an SD program immediately before watching the HD channel/recording.  If I switch from one HD program to another HD program, the audio lag issues go away.  This is with an Onkyo AVR connected via HDMI.

So, try putting the DVR on an HD channel (doesn't matter which one) before starting to watch whatever channel/recording you want to watch.  If your experience is like mine, this will resolve the audio lag.  I used to leave the DVR on GSN (an SD channel) by default, but after discovering the cause of this issue I now put the DVR on ESPN instead.

Edited by dvdmth, 21 November 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

So it does sound to me (and I could be wrong) that the audio delay issue that occurs when you switch to a buffered tuner (suing DoublePlay ir PIP) is an issue with the HR44, and not our random audio devices. Note the issue doesn't occur if the destination buffer is live. I also just tried all combinations of HD and SD as the post above suggested, and that didn't make a difference for me. I think that's a separate or different issue.

It also sounds like it happens if we connect using optical or HDMI.   Interesting, I was thinking the issue may've involved the complexities of an HDMI handshake.

Maybe smarter minds than mine could draw some conclusions that might help DirecTV fix this.  

#58 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 810 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

HR44-500

firmware 0x797

report 20131121-1309

Black screen happened again tonight.  The screen is frozen black as I send this report.  I got the message about loss of Signal on sat in 2 and then it went blank.  The black screen went away when I hit the channel up.  I was watching Fox Business on channel 359 when it occurred.

Edit to add

It happened again and while I was on the frozen black screen, I went to the signal meter.  I didn't stay long, but it looked like I was losing signal on the odd transponders on 101 for at least tuner 1, 2 and 5.  I went to my HR24 in another room that is on the same leg of my SWM-16 and the signal for 101 on tuners 1 and 2 were in the 97's to 100's.  So it looks like this release is knocking out the tuners somehow.

Edited by Getteau, 21 November 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#59 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Skip-to-tick is really messed up, but worse is the pixelation and sound drop outs when watching recordings. These were NEVER present in my HR44 until this update. I rebooted (twice) after noticing the issues in a couple recordings, but even after the reboots the problem still exists. Not happy.

#60 OFFLINE   mridan

mridan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have observed audio lag issues during trick play while watching HD programming, but only if the DVR was tuned to an SD program immediately before watching the HD channel/recording. If I switch from one HD program to another HD program, the audio lag issues go away. This is with an Onkyo AVR connected via HDMI.

So, try putting the DVR on an HD channel (doesn't matter which one) before starting to watch whatever channel/recording you want to watch. If your experience is like mine, this will resolve the audio lag. I used to leave the DVR on GSN (an SD channel) by default, but after discovering the cause of this issue I now put the DVR on ESPN instead.

Since being a D* customer I've had three AVR's. First AVR was a Denon, no audio delays but replaced it because it did not have HDMI connections. My second was a Onkyo, and returned it for a Pioneer which is my current AVR. I thought the Onkyo ran a little warm, but the main reason I returned it was of the audio delay/lag when changing channels. It didn't matter if I was going from SD to HD, or HD to HD it always had an audio delay/lag. If I was watching a DVD it would have an audio delay/lag if I skipped thru chapters.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...