Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cable Internet Wiring

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Hey all, 

I hope this is the right forum; And I didn't want to go to a whole other site to find an answer unless I have to.

I live in a 3 story house (basement, main floor, upstairs) and currently I have Comcast internet come into the basement where it goes through it's modem into my Airport Extreme. then off to a handful of items.  I have about 6 homeruns of Cat5e to a point in the basement that I'm using the AE and a small router to feed.

Well I'm trying to clean things up and want to improve wi-fi on the main floor where we use it the most. So, I want to move the AE upstairs.

I'm looking for the best way to do this. (first, I have some existing wiring I want to use, If i don't use existing I'm putting holes in the wall and floor, which my wife won't look to kindly upon)

My first and easiest option is to ;

1. Use existing coax run to main floor room where I want to put AE and also run the modem there.  Problem is that i will have to use a barrel connector to connect the coax that comes into the house to the coax run that goes to the office.  Is that barrel connector going to cause me trouble? or will it not be a problem?

Once I do that I would then take the network run that goes to the office from the basement and use it to connect the basement to the AE and put my new router down there and connect all my other hardware.

My other options include trying to fish the coax that comes into the house and feeds the modem currently through the wall to my faceplate in the office where the another Coax currently runs and move the modem to the office.

Put the modem in the basement as is, and fish a new Cat5e or 6e up to the office to feed the AE, then take a port off the AE and run it back downstairs to a new switch I recently bought.  Problem is as above, fishing a new line from my current outlet box to the basement is hard, it's and exterior wall with insulation and the basement has recently been winterized so lots of spray foam filling all the gaps, or existing holes where wiring was run.

So, to sum up.  Is putting two barrel connectors in my cable run to my modem going to hurt anything? I would use 1 to connect current run to office to run that comes in from outside, second one would be at the wall faceplate in my office where the current coax run already exists.

Edited by woj027, 07 November 2013 - 02:10 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Why Not Just add a Wireless Access point to your first floor -that would extend your wifi to your upper level making it much better use a cat 5 from the wap to your router- would that wok for you?

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

That could work although I would rather not spend that money We have an AirPort Extreme on the 3rd floor. It has trouble with the lathe and plaster too Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by woj027, 07 November 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,745 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

Putting in the barrell connectors will have little if any effect (unless you're already marginal - in which case a bi directional amp should fix it).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

That could work although I would rather not spend that money We have an AirPort Extreme on the 3rd floor. It has trouble with the lathe and plaster too Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

You need to spend big bucks, if you have lots of wall and turns and levels.  My house is over 4000 Square feet and 3 levels not counting the basement and we have had same Wifi issues. So I'm glad we ran all cat 6 in every bedroom. 

I have the wifi so it reaches the main rooms in the house.

Other wise computers , Directv, PS3, are all hard wired.

#7 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

You need to spend big bucks, if you have lots of wall and turns and levels.  My house is over 4000 Square feet and 3 levels not counting the basement and we have had same Wifi issues. So I'm glad we ran all cat 6 in every bedroom. 

I have the wifi so it reaches the main rooms in the house.

Other wise computers , Directv, PS3, are all hard wired.

If I have to spend money I will, but I'm hoping moving the Airport Extreme to the main floor where most of the wireless activity happens will fix things. I do have some hard wired runs throughout the house, so that should keep the TV's and other devices working.

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

If I have to spend money I will, but I'm hoping moving the Airport Extreme to the main floor where most of the wireless activity happens will fix things. I do have some hard wired runs throughout the house, so that should keep the TV's and other devices working.

That's All I did. :righton:

#9 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:46 AM

OH my!!!

What a mess.

So I used the existing Coax that was run to my office and I used a barrel connector to connect it to the line from Comcast coming into my home.

I then moved the old modem and Airport Extreme up into my office.   

I hooked everything up and my AE didn't seem to keep internet connectivity.  I figured it was something just odd, so I moved on to removing the rented modem and activating the owned modem.

It took a while on the phone with Comcast, but wasn't too painful and the modem was working.

I had some troubles with my c-41's but I think that's fixed.     http://www.dbstalk.c...w-white-screen/

But now I have no idea why, but when I go through the set up on my AE to create my secure wireless network everything craps out.  No network connectivity.   So right now my AE is only working as a hub/switch until I figure this out.

I created a thread on Apple's Discussion website.    https://discussions....754369#23754369

Maybe all will fix itself when I get home this afternoon.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...