Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help putting in a proper ground...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jed1154

jed1154

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Ive had my system for 7 years, but its been installed for 10.  Anyway, I just realized that the system is NOT grounded.  The cable comes from my outbuilding where the dish is and then into the house and structured wiring panel for distribution.  It is NOT on a grounding block or hooked up to ground.  The service entrance for the electric is over 100' away on teh opposite side of the house.  The only ground nearby that is available is the telco and its a ground rod in the ground/foundation.

I DO have my incoming coax on a 'ground block', but thats purely for easy disconnect and external cable replacement.  How can I properly ground this system?

If I tied it to the phone line ground rod, then that would create a ground loop I THINK.  So, what do i do?

Edited by jed1154, 07 November 2013 - 03:27 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

If it aint broke don't fix it.

#3 OFFLINE   jed1154

jed1154

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

I suppose you are right.  My reading seems to indicate installers ground only when convenient and even then its questionable as to whether it is for better or worse.  It works now, so Ill leave it be.  Its all grounded through the structured wiring panel to ground anyway.

Edited by jed1154, 07 November 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Do you have 3 pronged electrical plugs? If so, your houses electrical system is grounded (unless someone replaced the outlets incorrectly). If you plug a device into your 3 prongers, it becomes grounded. If you have a cable connected to your device, it should be grounded. This chain continues as long as their is metal connections made along the way.

When you connect the coax to your receiver do you get a spark? 

#5 OFFLINE   jed1154

jed1154

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

I have proper three prong grounds.  Yes, I have noticed sparking on occasion.  Not a giant arc, but enough to notice.  I think it was when I was terminating ends and such though.  Figured it was normal since receiver sends voltage back to the dish through teh center electrode.  (yeah...it was all plugged in, i know..thats a no no).  When everything is up and running I havn't noticed sparking.

Edited by jed1154, 08 November 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   RHCP

RHCP

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

The National Electrical Code requires both the dish and the outer shield of the coax cable to be grounded. Simply plugging the receiver into a grounded electrical outlet does not meet the NEC's grounding requirement, which are covered in articles 800.40 and 810. Since the NEC is the basis of electrical code virtually everywhere in the U.S. Dish requires the installation to be grounded according to the NEC.

Common grounding errors include: no ground at all; system "grounded" to an inadequate or incorrect grounding point; coax grounded, but dish not grounded; and system grounded to a separate ground rod that isn't bonded to the power grounding electrode.

By the way, this is primarily a safety issue, though properly grounded equipment will also tend to survive storms better by draining off static electricity build up before it can zap your LNB or receiver.

That said, there are millions of older installations and DIY installations that aren't properly grounded and most do just fine.

• AZ. likes this

#7 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

The National Electrical Code requires both the dish and the outer shield of the coax cable to be grounded. Simply plugging the receiver into a grounded electrical outlet does not meet the NEC's grounding requirement, which are covered in articles 800.40 and 810. Since the NEC is the basis of electrical code virtually everywhere in the U.S. Dish requires the installation to be grounded according to the NEC.

Common grounding errors include: no ground at all; system "grounded" to an inadequate or incorrect grounding point; coax grounded, but dish not grounded; and system grounded to a separate ground rod that isn't bonded to the power grounding electrode.

By the way, this is primarily a safety issue, though properly grounded equipment will also tend to survive storms better by draining off static electricity build up before it can zap your LNB or receiver.

That said, there are millions of older installations and DIY installations that aren't properly grounded and most do just fine.

Thank you!!!! God I hate when all the electricians come out telling how un-importaint grounding is!

Its all about SAFTY!

#8 OFFLINE   jed1154

jed1154

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

To be fair, electricians generally follow the NEC which, by most calculations is heavily overkilled in the safety department, especially for residential.  I wouldnt be too quick to call out electricians.  Even I, with minimal knowledge of th electric code, could probably walk into anyone on this forum's house and find NEC code violations before I got 35' in.

My system is not grounded according to the NEC, just according to common sense.  Dish has been out at least 6 times, twice to replace a dish for upgrade, 3 times for coax to the dish that was damaged, and not once did they make mention of grounding it.  Ill put it on the list of things to do, but it looks like its pretty far down on the bottom for now.  Its all covered through dish network anyway so if it gets trashed, they will come out and replace it.  LOL.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...