Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV® equipment.

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

I see that I now have a "You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV® equipment." showing on my D* account.  Goes on to say, "Your DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN includes an equipment upgrade every 2 years. Click Upgrade/Add Receiver above".

However, I searched for "Upgrade/Add", and there's nothing found.  Is the page bad, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

DirecTV customer since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I see that I now have a "You qualify for an upgrade to the latest DIRECTV® equipment." showing on my D* account.  Goes on to say, "Your DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN includes an equipment upgrade every 2 years. Click Upgrade/Add Receiver above".

However, I searched for "Upgrade/Add", and there's nothing found.  Is the page bad, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Call DirecTV and tell them you want to take advantage of the free upgrade as listed on your account. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Keep in mind, this is upgrading a box to a higher class, like to a Genie if you don't have one, receiver to DVR, SD to HD etc.

#4 OFFLINE   gator1234

gator1234

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Are you able to request a Genie?  I am eligible in Dec and currently have an HR22, HR23 and HR24.  I would like to get a Genie and return the older HR22.  Will they do this?

#5 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Are you able to request a Genie?  I am eligible in Dec and currently have an HR22, HR23 and HR24.  I would like to get a Genie and return the older HR22.  Will they do this?

They did for me. The only fight I had was that they wanted to replace my other DVRs with the mini-clients. And that's where you might have an issue. With 2 DVRs and a Genie you'll have 9 tuners on your account. The standard SWM only supports 8 tuners. Fortunately my installer happened to have an SWM16 on the truck. But he told me that he normally doesn't carry them.  

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

They did for me. The only fight I had was that they wanted to replace my other DVRs with the mini-clients. And that's where you might have an issue. With 2 DVRs and a Genie you'll have 9 tuners on your account. The standard SWM only supports 8 tuners. Fortunately my installer happened to have an SWM16 on the truck. But he told me that he normally doesn't carry them.  

Did they actually attempt to insist that you get clients?  When I upgraded (not using the protection plan), the CSR assumed that I wanted to go to clients along with the Genie.  But when I said "No.  I don't want clients, I want to keep two of my DVR's, her answer was "Oh.  OK.  That will work."

#7 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

Did they actually attempt to insist that you get clients?  When I upgraded (not using the protection plan), the CSR assumed that I wanted to go to clients along with the Genie.  But when I said "No.  I don't want clients, I want to keep two of my DVR's, her answer was "Oh.  OK.  That will work."

It was actually a little complicated. I had 2 THR22s and 1 HR24. I never actually had the whole Whole Home networking setup. So I was using Ethernet and the Ethernet port on the HR24 was FUBAR. So I wanted 1 THR22 replaced with the Genie and the HR24 replaced under the protection plan, keeping the final THR22. But when the installer came out his paperwork showed the HR24 being replaced by a mini-client.

Fortunately the HR24 worked fine with the DECA connection, but I still had to fight to keep the HR24. I have no doubt that it would have been a big fight if he didn't have the SWM16 on the truck.  

#8 OFFLINE   Daddyo

Daddyo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

Does this automatically push your contract out another 2 years? I've got an old HR21 and a HR22 that I wouldn't mind swapping with a Genie and a remote.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,582 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Does this automatically push your contract out another 2 years? I've got an old HR21 and a HR22 that I wouldn't mind swapping with a Genie and a remote.

Yes,  getting a new Genie will get you a new 2 contract 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   RichManitoba

RichManitoba

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

What is a SWiM16? I wonder if that's my problem.

I had a Genie installed over 2 weeks ago and installers have been back 4 times: nobody can get anything to work consistently. They replaced 2 clients, 1 genie, then took out the 2 clients and gave me 2 H24's (I originally had H25's).  I'm supposed to have 5 TV's hooked up, but only 2 are working. DTV coming back Saturday. (What's with this 7 days apart?) Almost 3 weeks and I'm not happy. Ready to unhook everything, stack the stuff up by my front door and have them pick it up.

2 - HR24-100
3 - H25-700
5 - RC 65X Remotes
SWM Slimline 3 -- DECA

#11 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

It's got to do with how many tuners you can have hooked at once. The SWM stands for Single Wire Multi-Switch. In the old days each tuner required a wire. The SWM means you now only need one wire. But the standard SWM can only handle 8 tuners. To go beyond 8 you need to jump to the SWM16 which can handle 16 tuners. FWIW, I have seen an SWM13 mentioned someone on this forum but I don't really know anything about it. 

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

I had a Genie installed over 2 weeks ago and installers have been back 4 times: nobody can get anything to work consistently. They replaced 2 clients, 1 genie, then took out the 2 clients and gave me 2 H24's (I originally had H25's).  I'm supposed to have 5 TV's hooked up, but only 2 are working. DTV coming back Saturday. (What's with this 7 days apart?) Almost 3 weeks and I'm not happy. Ready to unhook everything, stack the stuff up by my front door and have them pick it up.

So, if my count is right (one Genie = 5 tuners, two HD receivers = 2 tuners, 2 clients = 0 tuners, for a total of 7 tuners), then you don't need a SWM-16.  The standard SWM LNB can handle up to 8 tuners.  You only need a SWM-16 when you exceed that limitation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade

spam firewall