Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving - Concerned About Coax Runs at New Place

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'm moving next week, and my new place is a 21 year old home that currently has cable TV service.  The basement is completely finished, and I cannot find a coax junction point (or central location) anywhere.  There is one coax line that comes into the home in the basement right at the same location as the electrical panel.  So my assumption is that there are probably splitters used throughout the walls and ceilings.  I have 4 receivers to install, one in the basement, den, master bedroom, and garage.  How will the installer address this?  Will they just want to run all the cabling outside the home and through the brick into each room (which I would prefer not to do)?  Or is there anything I can do to try and figure out what's going on with the wiring before they show up next Friday (I get possession Tuesday)?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Matt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Most likely the installer will not use your existing coax cables.  Instead, the standard installation would provide new coax cables that wrap along the outside of your home, or are easily routed through attic or basement spaces.   For an extra fee, they can fish new cables inside your walls.  You'll want to discuss those options with the installer. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

If the wiring is good rg6 then they should at least give it a shot. Just because the house is 21 doesn't mean the cabling is. But you'll need to find the splitters. Hopefully the are all right behind the plates where the coax connections at the walls are. If so it could be done. If they are buried somewhere you can't get to them then it's an issue.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hard to know if you have found all the splitters.  Also, if homeowner installed, the quality of the crimps would be suspect.  (I have seen people use pliers and smash the connectors flat!)

I HATE seeing coax wrapped around a brick house. I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT.

FWIW, after the inevitable plumbing disaster upstairs that ruins the drywall ceilings in the basement, you can put in a drop ceiling and fix everything.

#5 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hard to know if you have found all the splitters.  Also, if homeowner installed, the quality of the crimps would be suspect.  (I have seen people use pliers and smash the connectors flat!)

I HATE seeing coax wrapped around a brick house. I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT.

FWIW, after the inevitable plumbing disaster upstairs that ruins the drywall ceilings in the basement, you can put in a drop ceiling and fix everything.

Now that there is funny!

Edited by studechip, 08 November 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the comments.  Guess I'll be pulling some wall plates and see what I can figure out.  I really don't want to run it outside the house.  I've been in my current house 10 years.  I replaced a basement tongue and groove tile ceiling here (although not due to plumbing leaks lol), and between that and some den renovation work I've been able to get some pretty good/clean coax runs here.  Hopefully I don't have to tear into anything at this new place to figure things out.

Edited by stflush, 08 November 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

A lady I worked for asked about possibly doing a full up home theater in her fully drywalled basement.  I laughed and said the bill for fixing the drywall damage I would have to do would be a deal killer.

As I was packing up my tools, I said if she had a huge plumbing disaster, give me a call and I could do everything then!

2 months later she called and said I got me wish.

I was thunderstruck and asked what happened.  She said they had a sewer back up and Service Master had just left after cleaning out all the poo, ripping out the carpets, and cutting ALL THE DRYWALL off, 3 feet up the walls!!!

At that point she was OK about the disaster and had a good laugh, and she got her home theater.  

I have other water damage stories, but that one is my favorite.

#8 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

So I found a spot under the electrical panel where most of the coax joined together (it was hidden under some insulation). I've also identified which wires run to the locations I want to use except for the master bedroom. I believe there's one run up to the attic that is then split to each of the bedrooms, so my plan is to let the installer deal with that. I am a little concerned though because the wiring is RG-59. From what I've read I should be fine as long as the wiring from the switch to the dish is RG-6 (for a swm dish)? Is this going to be common knowledge for the installer, or am I going to potentially need to convince them it'll work?

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Is this going to be common knowledge for the installer, or am I going to potentially need to convince them it'll work?

Probably the latter...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Well the install was a no go. The guy refused to use RG59, called his supervisor after I said I'd read it would work, and the supervisor said it was directv policy that they couldn't use it. I called to cancel, and they offered to send a second "advanced" technician for a second opinion who's coming tomorrow. Not feeling confident that my 13 year run with directv will continue.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well the install was a no go. The guy refused to use RG59, 

That is to be expected....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

That is to be expected....

So I'm wasting my time and should start looking at other options?

#13 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

You said you don't want runs outside the house, but that is an option. Another would be for you to replace the RG59 with RG6 yourself. It may be a pain, but probably cheaper than paying him to do it, since it wouldn't be part of a standard installation.

#14 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

You said you don't want runs outside the house, but that is an option. Another would be for you to replace the RG59 with RG6 yourself. It may be a pain, but probably cheaper than paying him to do it, since it wouldn't be part of a standard installation.

The RG59 is stapled or tacked down, so it can't be used to pull in new wiring. Looks like my options are either running wiring outside or running new RG6 inside which will involve cutting into some drywall. Directv (or at least the installers in my area) don't want to touch it. The second opinion guy spent 5 seconds at my house, saw the RG59, and said call an electrician or audio/video install company.

#15 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,162 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

The RG59 is stapled or tacked down, so it can't be used to pull in new wiring. Looks like my options are either running wiring outside or running new RG6 inside which will involve cutting into some drywall. Directv (or at least the installers in my area) don't want to touch it. The second opinion guy spent 5 seconds at my house, saw the RG59, and said call an electrician or audio/video install company.

There is your answer. If you were in the Denver area I would recommend a friend of mine who has his own business and does great work. However it certainly wont be free.

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,560 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

All you need is a dish on the roof, it shouldn't cost that much to pay someone to put that up and run a coax down to where it enters the home. He can also get everything conncted up, or you can take it from that point. If it works, great, if it doesn't you're only out the cost of getting a dish on the roof.

I thought one of the reasons Directv went to SWM was to able to use existing wiring in a home? It is stupid that they have a policy of not even touching RG59. You'd think they'd have installers carry some sort of equipment to test the lines - generate a test signal at baseband, 500 MHz and 2 GHz on one end, check it on the other end, if the loss is too high then disqualify it.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

One way around cutting big holes in the drywall is to remove the baseboard, cut the drywall there, and replace the baseboard.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

All you need is a dish on the roof, it shouldn't cost that much to pay someone to put that up and run a coax down to where it enters the home. He can also get everything conncted up, or you can take it from that point. If it works, 

That might work, but the customer might have to source the receivers from a 3rd party which won't get him the DirecTV discounts.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

I thought one of the reasons Directv went to SWM was to able to use existing wiring in a home? It is stupid that they have a policy of not even touching RG59. 

Easier to have a "blanket" policy.  A reputable tech won't deal with RG59 as if the job gets QC'ed, he will get back charged.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

One way around cutting big holes in the drywall is to remove the baseboard, cut the drywall there, and replace the baseboard.

Good point.

I have done that for speaker and phone too.

I have cut (diamond saw blade) into cement basement floors and embedded wire there too.  THAT IS NOT MUCH FUN.  And it is extremely dirty work.

I'd advise caution about assuming a given wall upstairs is aligned all that well with a wall in the basement that looks 'close' to being situated correctly.  I have seen a homeowner run coax down the inside of closet, and think they are drilling through the floor and into a downstairs stud cavity for a TV hookup, and wind up marring the drywall ceiling they were trying to save.

If basement has a separate unfinished area for the furnace and water heater, with a closet upstairs over it, you can run wire from rood dish install, through attic, down thru closet, and into basement utility room.  then if your luck holds, you can get to a place with the coax where you could live with a TV installed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...