Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NY dad deemed unfit for not taking son to McDonald's

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

From Fox News:

Attorney David Schorr slapped a court-appointed shrink with a defamation lawsuit for telling the judge deciding a custody battle with his estranged wife that he was an unfit parent — for refusing to take his son to the fast food joint for dinner.

Schorr says in his Manhattan Supreme Court suit that E. 97th Street psychiatrist Marilyn Schiller filed a report saying he was “wholly incapable of taking care of his son” and should be denied his weekend visitation over the greasy burger ban.

Schorr, a corporate attorney turned consultant with degrees from NYU and Oxford University, had planned to take his 4-year-old son to their usual restaurant, the Corner Café on Third Avenue, for his weekly Tuesday night visitation last week.

But the boy threw a temper tantrum and demanded McDonald’s. So he gave his son an ultimatum: dinner anywhere other than McDonald’s — or no dinner.

“The child, stubborn as a mule, chose the ‘no dinner’ option,” the disgruntled dad says in the suit.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

IMO, he's a good parent for that. My parents always told me, "You can eat what we're having or go hungry to bed." I turned out fine.

Although with this story here, like any custody battle, parents try anything to screw over the other.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,153 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

And yet the federal government is banning trans fats, and New York City is dictating what you can and can't eat or drink.  So this father does the same, on his own, without government laws telling him to do so, and he is an unfit father?

I wonder if people could sue New York City using this lawsuit as a basis to say New York is an unfit parent?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

I would say what is this country coming to but I been saying for forty years.
  • Herdfan likes this

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

And yet the federal government is banning trans fats, and New York City is dictating what you can and can't eat or drink.  So this father does the same, on his own, without government laws telling him to do so, and he is an unfit father?

I wonder if people could sue New York City using this lawsuit as a basis to say New York is an unfit parent?

I never understood why we'll ban things bad for us like trans fat or large sugar drinks, which many people disagree with doing, but still criminalize marijuana - something that's beneficial to many and not as harmful. Drugs are bad, so keep them band! Trans fats are bad, so don't ban them!  :confused: :confused: :confused:

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

IMO, he's a good parent for that. My parents always told me, "You can eat what we're having or go hungry to bed." I turned out fine.

Although with this story here, like any custody battle, parents try anything to screw over the other.

except this was a court-appointed psychiatrist and should not have had any favoritism toward one side or the other.  

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

The father's mom was right...

“Even my mother, the strictest mother in the world, said, ‘Why didn’t you just take him to McDonalds? What were you thinking? You know that this is a divorce situation.’”

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

except this was a court-appointed psychiatrist and should not have had any favoritism toward one side or the other.  

But did the shrink know the whole story or just what the mother likely told them? I bet the mother sais something like, "He refused to feed our son one night."  Custody battles are viscous.

The dad nothing wrong, as far as I can tell thus far, but we don't know what all the shrink and courts know.

#9 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

I never understood why we'll ban things bad for us like trans fat or large sugar drinks, which many people disagree with doing, but still criminalize marijuana - something that's beneficial to many and not as harmful. Drugs are ban, so keep them band! Trans fats are bad, so don't ban them!

Just this morning I sigh a petition to legalize Medical marihuana here in Florida. The lady smile when I told her I would have sign one for non-medical marihuana also.
  • sigma1914 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just this morning I sigh a petition to legalize Medical marihuana here in Florida. The lady smile when I told her I would have sign one for non-medical marihuana also.

She was probably stoned.  

Rich

• MysteryMan likes this

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Legalize everything ... It's our bodies, we can do whatever we want to them, IMO.

• Rich likes this

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,841 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

From Fox News:

I'm surprised Bloomberg didn't try to made illegal to feed young children fast foods in NYC!

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   Eva

Eva

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Legalize everything ... It's our bodies, we can do whatever we want to them, IMO.

+ 1

Most of us do a lot of things already.

Eva

Sometimes my train of thought leaves the station without me...

#14 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,841 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

As long as alcohol and other mood altering substances can be freely sold, I'm not against making most of the current illegal drugs, legal under proper regulations. 

• Rich likes this

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#15 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,067 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

+1000      Ihave always said that if something I do harms no one else it is nobodies business what I am doing.

• sigma1914 and Rich like this

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

It was back in the 80s that there was speculation people should be prosecuted for child abuse for referring cases TO the Illinois DCFS.

Seems like these governmental misfires are everywhere . . .

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

This does seem like an overblown situation... but playing devil's advocate...  How many days can you give this ultimatum to your kid before it does become abuse?

On day one... Anywhere but McDonalds or no food...  ok, teach the kid a lesson.

What about two days?

Three days?

How many meals can you "punish" your kid by not allowing them to eat before it does become abuse?

That is actually a valid concern in this scenario.  We all know about the "go to bed without supper" punishment...  but if that becomes a multiple night thing, it becomes a malnourishment issue.  Right?  So where would you draw that line?

Did the father, in this scenario, not provide any food?  In other words... the kid throws a tantrum and says "nyah!" but the father got the kid food from somewhere anyway and the kid just didn't eat it?  OR was there no food at all for the kid to eat even if he changed his mind after the tantrum?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

It sounds like he has the son once a week, on Tuesdays and that there is a particular restaurant they generally go to. I can see a 4 year old not wanting to go to the same white tablecloth style restaurant every week.

I enjoyed it when I was young, and the menu seemed bigger than I was, but it wasn't a common thing, so it was more fun.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,511 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Somehow I wonder if the "strict mother" would have complained to the court if the father had taken the child to McDonalds instead of "insuring that my child received a proper dinner". :rolleyes:

Divorce is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. :(
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,921 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:46 PM

Somehow I wonder if the "strict mother" would have complained to the court if the father had taken the child to McDonalds instead of "insuring that my child received a proper dinner". :rolleyes:

Divorce is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. :(

Bingo on both counts. My son at four didn't know about Mickey D's, but at 8 and 10 he sure did. Wendy's too. So I took him when he wanted to go. Felt that denial would have made the prize seem all the bigger.  By 12 or 13 he wouldn't be caught dead in a fast food joint. Now he is a healthy eater and a very healthy young man. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall