Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV sees 4K TV having 'material impact' by 2016

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#101 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Thanks, I hope they'll have come a lot further when I attend CES in two months. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

Here are a couple of short articles (quick reading) in terms of 4K Ultra HDTV, 4K blue ray players, and other related information.

http://www.techradar...t-4k-tv-1048954

http://reviews.cnet....-to-4k-blu-ray/

http://www.studiodai...he-art-in-2013/

http://www.consumerr...ollow/index.htm

I think the techradar article got the wrong model # for the Sony BD player The S5100 does not upconvert to 4k. There's a review of it on CNET and no mention of 4K. It also happens to be one of the players I had them throw in to complete the deal. No mention of it on the box or the menues.

Edited by Rockaway1836, 20 November 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#103 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thanks, I hope they'll have come a lot further when I attend CES in two months. 

I'm pretty sure 4k is going to play a big role at CES this year, with lots of cool stuff coming down the pike. . I wish I could go along with you guys. It's at the top of my bucket list !!

#104 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm pretty sure 4k is going to play a big role at CES this year, with lots of cool stuff coming down the pike. . I wish I could go along with you guys. It's at the top of my bucket list !!

It is indeed something everyone should get to experience at least once. Of course...its not open to the general public...but many folks manage to get credentials to attend. There were more than 154,000 people there last year. 

Only 46 days til this guy hops on a plane to Vegas....but who's counting.

I suspect there will be tons of 4K Ultra HD stuff there.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#105 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

There would be no reason for that - there are no restrictions in using publicly-available blu ray players that support 4K content (for demos).

There certainly are if you're playing a movie in public. Fair use would cover using a movie trailer, but not playing a whole movie.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#106 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

There certainly are if you're playing a movie in public. Fair use would cover using a movie trailer, but not playing a whole movie.

Clips are all that are used for demos...

#107 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

For the time being...demos are mostly done with upconverted 4K content....which is quite good to show off the higher resolution of 4K. But the stores will get 4K blu ray player units at different times over the next 90 days or so - some are restricted to certain corresponding manufacturer HDTVs (Sony does this) while others will not come with that limitation. These units are very new.

Sorry, but a 1080p BD disk only has 1080p resolution. You can upscale it all you want, but you can't manufacture more detail than what you started with. If people are "drooling" over up converted 1080p BD disks then I think there is some magical thinking going on here.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#108 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,118 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

No, you can't add detail that's not in the original, but you sure can make it look better. After all, our eyes can be deceived quite easily! 

I know the 'fan, and he doesn't drool a lot! The drooling happens when original 4k content is shown on a 4k display (speaking of the slobbering only for myself.) 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#109 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

No, you can't add detail that's not in the original, but you sure can make it look better. After all, our eyes can be deceived quite easily! 

I know the 'fan, and he doesn't drool a lot! The drooling happens when original 4k content is shown on a 4k display (speaking of the slobbering only for myself.) 

Correct and correct (wiping my chin....).

#110 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,449 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

I think the techradar article got the wrong model # for the Sony BD player The S5100 does not upconvert to 4k. There's a review of it on CNET and no mention of 4K. It also happens to be one of the players I had them throw in to complete the deal. No mention of it on the box or the menues.

Again, pardon any ignorance here;

But is 4K up-scaling capability on the BD player that important?

That is to say, is there something found to be typically inferior about the internal scaling capability of the 4K sets themselves?

Or is it just to have the flexibility of an additional option for 4K up-scaling in case you may be dissatisfied with the quality of the TV set's internal one?    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#111 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Some people are very picky about their upscaling, and rather than relying on the HD upscaling their TV or Blu Ray player does,  they buy a separate box to put in between their TV and all their devices to do the scaling for them.

Maybe there's a difference, but it would be fairly difficult to see. With 4K, it will be that much more difficult to see, but I'm sure the market for $1000 boxes to do something that both players and TVs already do will continue unabated in the 4K world :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,086 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'd like to see you open a thread devoted to your experiences with the 4K set.  

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,086 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

That is to say, is there something found to be typically inferior about the internal scaling capability of the 4K sets themselves?

Or is it just to have the flexibility of an additional option for 4K up-scaling in case you may be dissatisfied with the quality of the TV set's internal one?    

I bought both the Sony 5100 and the Sammy F7500 (which does 4K up-scaling).  Just my opinion, but I think that 5100 was a waste of money.  Still waiting for the prices to drop on the 4K sets so the 7500's up-scaling features don't matter at the moment.  Today's price on the 65" Sony is $4,999 on Crutchfield's site.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get one after or just before Xmas at a decent price.  

Oh, BTW, I think the Sammy BD-F7500 is superb!  They even improved the remote.

Rich

#114 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

as a former BB employee, I can tell you that they are not supposed to use any type of disc material as the FCC really frowns upon it. They use outer kinds of distribution equipment.

What on Earth would the FCC have to say about the source of demo material at Best Buy? This makes absolutely no sense at all in any conceivable universe.

#115 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

What on Earth would the FCC have to say about the source of demo material at Best Buy? This makes absolutely no sense at all in any conceivable universe.

It is illegal to play a full motion picture on a public place.  I guess you always fast forward when that is shown when you play a DVD?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#116 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

It is illegal to play a full motion picture on a public place.  I guess you always fast forward when that is shown when you play a DVD?

True.

Then again...the studios regularly produce demo clips for retailers to use...

#117 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

True.

Then again...the studios regularly produce demo clips for retailers to use...

Correct, and those are the one BBY uses, but they don't necessarily use disc players

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#118 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

That's not an FCC warning, though -- it's the FBI. (It's a copyright situation, nothing to do with broadcasting.)
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#119 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

That's not an FCC warning, though -- it's the FBI. (It's a copyright situation, nothing to do with broadcasting.)

Well, I messed up on the agency, is that a big deal...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#120 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Honestly, I can't answer that yet. My set was late arriving to the store last night. So I did not pick it up until this afernoon. I also don't have one of the 4k upconvert players yet. ( got to wait for my lovely bride to calm down a bit) I can tell you that at least on this set Directv looks outstanding !! Colors just pop off the screen, and the 3D is far better than my LG  (passive) and Samsung (active).  I hope to get a chance to watch some Blu-ray titles over the weekend.

#121 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 578 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'd like to see you open a thread devoted to your experiences with the 4K set.  

Rich

Will do. As soon as I get the media player up and running, and get a chance to view 4k material. Had no time today. Too many people in the way, just wanting to see my new set.

#122 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,086 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well, I messed up on the agency, is that a big deal...

Guessing you've never run into an FBI agent?  Kinda scary folks.  The FCC, not so much.

Rich

#123 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,086 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Will do. As soon as I get the media player up and running, and get a chance to view 4k material. Had no time today. Too many people in the way, just wanting to see my new set.

Thanx, be good to see a 4K dedicated thread.  

Rich

#124 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Guessing you've never run into an FBI agent?  Kinda scary folks.  The FCC, not so much.

Rich

Yup, not that kind of person!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#125 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,068 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Sorry, but a 1080p BD disk only has 1080p resolution. You can upscale it all you want, but you can't manufacture more detail than what you started with. If people are "drooling" over up converted 1080p BD disks then I think there is some magical thinking going on here.

I wonder if the "drooling affect" could be quantified/qualified?

The factors "as I see it":

1) a 4k panel will have a fine dot pitch

2) image/video processing

Darbee makes one with interactive images here: http://darbeevision.com/images

3) having impressive content

#1 would seem to be limited to screen size & viewing distance.

#2 wouldn't be limited to 4K

#3 is just good marketing

"I would guess" #2 & 3 would have more "drooling" than #1 without 2 & 3.

It may not be "magical thinking", but merely the wizard behind the curtain.  

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...