Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-44 with the AM21 Off Air Tuner

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I was going to get the Genie installed but DTV tells me me the AM21 off air tuner won't work with it. Then I look online and see that people have gotten it to work. I call DTV again and he tells me that it will not work in South Florida. What's the deal with this? Will it work on won't it? Anyone in South FL have this set up? If so how? Is the new power cord plugged in separately? TIA

Edited by veryoldschool, 09 November 2013 - 06:51 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,542 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

It'll work fine if you're able to receive OTA.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

My goodness!

A D* CSR with misinformation ?!?!?!?!

{swoon}

{faint}

:eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:

#4 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Will it work in South FL without issues? This DTV morons are really starting to piss me off. All I want is for the OTA channels to show up in the guide.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,542 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

The major ones will, but some others might be hit or miss.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info. In order to get this going would I just need to get another power cord?

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

I see no reason why the AM21 wouldn't work in your location. 

The only problem is that it will be limited to what DirecTV has in the database for OTA.

The AM21 uses the power cord from the DVR and it has a short cord that then plugs into the DVR.

Edited by jdspencer, 09 November 2013 - 11:30 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

The spot on the back of the Genie when the cord goes into from the genie is different. Just wondering who else out there has successfully gotten the AM21 & HR44 to work together and how they did it.

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,156 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yes, you just need another power cord for the AM21.  With the AM21 and HR44 both unplugged from AC power, connect the USB cable between the AM21 and the HR44's USB jacks.   Connect your off air antenna cable to the AM21's ANT IN jack.  Then power up the AM21.  Then power up your HR44.  Follow the Off Air setup steps in the Satellite & Antenna Setup Menu.  

HD DVRs: HR44 + AM21; HR24
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm familiar with the set up process. There was a serviceman out here this morning that said it AM21 would not work with Genie. He left and I went online and found out that it did. He also said there was no "Satellite & Antenna" set up option with the Genie. What kind of new power cord would I need for the AM21?

#11 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well the technician just left and everything is set up just fine. There were zero issues getting the AM21 to work with the new Genie receiver. The guy this morning was a complete moron. Even had a local manager call me and he's the one who tried to tell me it would not work in Florida. Freakin dumbasses. Both of them!!!  Thanks to all who gave me some input.

Edited by FuSchnickens, 09 November 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,953 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Will it work in South FL without issues? This DTV morons are really starting to piss me off. All I want is for the OTA channels to show up in the guide.

I'm in Palm Beach County.  The HR44/AM21 combo works just fine.  They are full of you know what.  I can even pickup the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale locals with the AM21 on my HR44.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• Registered
  • 6,221 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm in Palm Beach County. The HR44/AM21 combo works just fine. They are full of you know what. I can even pickup the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale locals with the AM21 on my HR44.

I agree works fine in PB county with same out of market results. However that will depend on your antenna and location.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm in South Broward. So you guys pick up CBS4, NBC 4 ABC 10 & Fox 7? Are you using Miami area as the secondary market when u set up the antenna? I've never tried to set up an secondary market on mine. Wonder if I can get West Palm channels?

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 16,953 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm in South Broward. So you guys pick up CBS4, NBC 4 ABC 10 & Fox 7? Are you using Miami area as the secondary market when u set up the antenna? I've never tried to set up an secondary market on mine. Wonder if I can get West Palm channels?

Yes, I get 2, 4, 6, 7, 10, 17, etc...  I use my old Miami zip code (2 years living in Hell) as my secondary zip.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   boogie

boogie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm surprised when any DTV employee even knows the AM21 exists.  I've had DTV technicians at my house on a few occasions and not a single one of them knew what it was! I've had one for years (currently connected to a HR44) and have demonstrated the device for DTV technicians, much to their amazement. All of the technicians were very nice, and, after showing off my setup (including how I network my connected devices over swm) they've always helped me out by throwing a few splitters or other misc. parts my way.

#17 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

I had my AM21 for a year and it worked perfectly with an HR44 until my 4TB external hard drive failed. I removed the external hard drive which also removed my season passes and custom guides. I cannot get the AM21 to re-add the local channels to my guide. It always hangs at 50% during antenna setup. I suspect that the HR44 received a software update that breaks the integration with the AM21. DirecTV has not been very helpful. Not sure if buying a new AM21 or HR44 would help. Very disappointed as I watch a lot of shows OTA.

#18 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

I had my AM21 for a year and it worked perfectly with an HR44 until my 4TB external hard drive failed. I removed the external hard drive which also removed my season passes and custom guides. I cannot get the AM21 to re-add the local channels to my guide. It always hangs at 50% during antenna setup. I suspect that the HR44 received a software update that breaks the integration with the AM21. DirecTV has not been very helpful. Not sure if buying a new AM21 or HR44 would help. Very disappointed as I watch a lot of shows OTA.

I would try a "CLEARMYBOX" on the HR44 and then wait 48 hrs for the HR44 to totally rebuild its own guide and everything else. Then try the initial setup with the AM21. This should let the HR44 rebuild itself so everything is current (software updates, etc.) and be like starting over after changing the external hd.

Edited by coconut13, 16 August 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback coconut13.

The DirecTV installer just visited. He tried CLEARMYBOX. Unfortunately that did now help. Then he tried forcing a software update. That didn't work either. So he called DirecTV headquarters and talked to an AT&T technician there. Get this! That technician says that since the AT&T acquisition, the AM21 device is no longer supported. Recent AT&T software updates have broken the functionality that adds OTA channels to the guide. He says the AM21 OTA Box will not work with HR44 new software releases. I asked if I could revert back to the previous DirecTV (not AT&T) software, but he says no. The only option would be to purchase a HR22 box which would not receive AT&T software updates because it's no longer supported. What this means is if you have the HR34 or HR44, the AM21 will work until you have to rerun the Antenna Setup. If you move to another city or if your external hard drive fails (in my case), you will not be able to re-run Antenna Setup. Your AM21 will now be useless.

If anyone has a workaround I am interested. Please update this thread. :bang

#20 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:34 PM

Try a double reboot by unplugging the DVR/AM21 and letting it reboot, and then unplug it again. Hence a double reboot. This is the only way to truly clear an AM21. Make sure the AM21 is hooked up to the HR44. That's how it has always been for me. I have my AM21 hooked to an HR24 (and that maybe matters) and haven't had any issues after a software update. I've had 2 recent software updates on 6-2-2016 and 7-29-2016. I really think the HR44/AM21 will still work, you just haven't found the right procedure to make it so. The CLEARMYBOX and RBR reboots sometimes work to clear the AM21 and sometimes not. I 've never figured out why it is that way, but a double unplugging reboot has always been successful in clearing the AM21 in my case. I really believe their are a lot of people with HR 34,44, and 54's hooked to AM21's and their's are still working after software updates. I would think a lot of people would be complaining if that were the case.

Edited by coconut13, 16 August 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#21 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion coconut13. I just tried the double reboot and the Antenna Setup still hangs at 50%. I'm still willing to try a few more things before I throw this AM21 in the lake.

#22 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback coconut13.

The DirecTV installer just visited. He tried CLEARMYBOX. Unfortunately that did now help. Then he tried forcing a software update. That didn't work either. So he called DirecTV headquarters and talked to an AT&T technician there. Get this! That technician says that since the AT&T acquisition, the AM21 device is no longer supported. Recent AT&T software updates have broken the functionality that adds OTA channels to the guide. He says the AM21 OTA Box will not work with HR44 new software releases. I asked if I could revert back to the previous DirecTV (not AT&T) software, but he says no. The only option would be to purchase a HR22 box which would not receive AT&T software updates because it's no longer supported. What this means is if you have the HR34 or HR44, the AM21 will work until you have to rerun the Antenna Setup. If you move to another city or if your external hard drive fails (in my case), you will not be able to re-run Antenna Setup. Your AM21 will now be useless.

If anyone has a workaround I am interested. Please update this thread. :bang

Lies. Well, uninformed. I have the LATEST software (iamanedgecutter.com for more) and my AM21 and HR44 work just fine. It is true that Directv isn't making them anymore but the AM21 will still play nice with the HR44. If memory serves, others in southern Florida posted YEARS ago about a similar situation. It could be here or the other site. Unless I am thinking of this thread from YEARS ago!

Edited by ejbvt, 16 August 2016 - 03:55 PM.

TV: Directv HR44/SL5/AM21, Terk HDTVo, Comcast Broadcast, LG 42" 3D 1080p, Samsung 1080p.
Internet: Xfinity/Comcast 
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6, Verizon
Other: Denon AVR591, Panasonic 3D BluRay, Panasonic DVD w/tuner, Phillips VCR

#23 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,361 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

Lies. Well, uninformed. I have the LATEST software (iamanedgecutter.com for more) and my AM21 and HR44 work just fine. It is true that Directv isn't making them anymore but the AM21 will still play nice with the HR44. If memory serves, others in southern Florida posted YEARS ago about a similar situation. It could be here or the other site. Unless I am thinking of this thread from YEARS ago!

The difference is that if it happened a few years ago Directv would try to help you fix the problem. Now that they no longer support the AM21 it is up to the end user to figure out the issue.

I think it is safe to assume Directv is phasing out the AM21 because they don't plan to support it on the new generation of hardware that is coming. The question is whether there will be some other solution for OTA in that new generation of hardware, or if it will be abandoned entirely. Considering Directv stated just three years ago they were looking at integrating OTA in future receivers like they had in the past (due to all the retransmission fights) I still hold out hope that it might be built in. Since the ATSC patents have all expired, it would be very cheap to add. Time will tell.

• ejbvt likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL, 3xSWM16; 23 H20-100, 7 H24-700/AM21

#24 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:27 PM

Thanks AllStar.

I found another thread from a few years ago. I have exhausted all those recommended solutions. I would expect that the support team the DirecTV installer called (not the one I had access to) would give out the correct information. He seemed very knowledgeable about the AM21 and emphatic it would not work with the latest software releases. He said it will work only until you have to run the Antenna Setup. That is the process that will not run. And without that you can't add the channels to your guide or record them.

#25 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion coconut13. I just tried the double reboot and the Antenna Setup still hangs at 50%. I'm still willing to try a few more things before I throw this AM21 in the lake.

It's probably the AM21 itself. If you had any kind of power surge (lightning, power spike, etc.) the AM21 is pretty sensitive to that. I would reboot the DVR by itself and let it rebuild the guide, etc. for 48 hrs. Then try to re-initialize the AM21 after that. If that doesn't work, I would try a different AM21 (if you can) and check results.

Edited by coconut13, 16 August 2016 - 05:36 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...