Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR-44 with the AM21 Off Air Tuner

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I was going to get the Genie installed but DTV tells me me the AM21 off air tuner won't work with it. Then I look online and see that people have gotten it to work. I call DTV again and he tells me that it will not work in South Florida. What's the deal with this? Will it work on won't it? Anyone in South FL have this set up? If so how? Is the new power cord plugged in separately? TIA

Edited by veryoldschool, 09 November 2013 - 06:51 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

It'll work fine if you're able to receive OTA.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

My goodness!

A D* CSR with misinformation ?!?!?!?!

{swoon}

{faint}

:eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:  :eek2:

#4 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

Will it work in South FL without issues? This DTV morons are really starting to piss me off. All I want is for the OTA channels to show up in the guide.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,018 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

The major ones will, but some others might be hit or miss.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the info. In order to get this going would I just need to get another power cord?

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,572 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

I see no reason why the AM21 wouldn't work in your location. 

The only problem is that it will be limited to what DirecTV has in the database for OTA.

The AM21 uses the power cord from the DVR and it has a short cord that then plugs into the DVR.

Edited by jdspencer, 09 November 2013 - 11:30 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

The spot on the back of the Genie when the cord goes into from the genie is different. Just wondering who else out there has successfully gotten the AM21 & HR44 to work together and how they did it.

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yes, you just need another power cord for the AM21.  With the AM21 and HR44 both unplugged from AC power, connect the USB cable between the AM21 and the HR44's USB jacks.   Connect your off air antenna cable to the AM21's ANT IN jack.  Then power up the AM21.  Then power up your HR44.  Follow the Off Air setup steps in the Satellite & Antenna Setup Menu.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm familiar with the set up process. There was a serviceman out here this morning that said it AM21 would not work with Genie. He left and I went online and found out that it did. He also said there was no "Satellite & Antenna" set up option with the Genie. What kind of new power cord would I need for the AM21?

#11 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Well the technician just left and everything is set up just fine. There were zero issues getting the AM21 to work with the new Genie receiver. The guy this morning was a complete moron. Even had a local manager call me and he's the one who tried to tell me it would not work in Florida. Freakin dumbasses. Both of them!!!  Thanks to all who gave me some input.

Edited by FuSchnickens, 09 November 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Will it work in South FL without issues? This DTV morons are really starting to piss me off. All I want is for the OTA channels to show up in the guide.

I'm in Palm Beach County.  The HR44/AM21 combo works just fine.  They are full of you know what.  I can even pickup the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale locals with the AM21 on my HR44.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,975 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I'm in Palm Beach County. The HR44/AM21 combo works just fine. They are full of you know what. I can even pickup the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale locals with the AM21 on my HR44.

I agree works fine in PB county with same out of market results. However that will depend on your antenna and location.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#14 OFFLINE   FuSchnickens

FuSchnickens

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm in South Broward. So you guys pick up CBS4, NBC 4 ABC 10 & Fox 7? Are you using Miami area as the secondary market when u set up the antenna? I've never tried to set up an secondary market on mine. Wonder if I can get West Palm channels?

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm in South Broward. So you guys pick up CBS4, NBC 4 ABC 10 & Fox 7? Are you using Miami area as the secondary market when u set up the antenna? I've never tried to set up an secondary market on mine. Wonder if I can get West Palm channels?

Yes, I get 2, 4, 6, 7, 10, 17, etc...  I use my old Miami zip code (2 years living in Hell) as my secondary zip.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   boogie

boogie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'm surprised when any DTV employee even knows the AM21 exists.  I've had DTV technicians at my house on a few occasions and not a single one of them knew what it was! I've had one for years (currently connected to a HR44) and have demonstrated the device for DTV technicians, much to their amazement. All of the technicians were very nice, and, after showing off my setup (including how I network my connected devices over swm) they've always helped me out by throwing a few splitters or other misc. parts my way.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...