Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network joins DirecTV and AT&T U-verse in declining CSN Houston’s free-view offer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Dish Network joins DirecTV and AT&T U-verse in declining CSN Houston’s free-view offer

Dish Network said Friday it has declined an offer by Comcast SportsNet Houston that would have allowed to carry the channel free of charge through mid-December.

DirecTV and AT&T U-verse also have declined the offer made by CSN Houston, the Rockets-Astros-Comcast partnership that is available to about 40 percent of the Houston area’s 2.2 million TV households. The offer would have allowed fans to see about 20 Rockets games through Dec. 15 while carriers decided whether to agree to longer-term carriage agreements.

“It is Dish’s practice to refrain from offering programming unless a long-term agreement is in place; anything less falls short of our customer service commitment,” a spokeswoman for the company said.

3_CSN_Houston_and_Astros_pep_rally_at_La

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,950 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

Heh. Wonder how many Xfinity ads would've been attached to that generous offer! :)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Right, get the customers used to having it on the system and then when it gets pulled blame it on the cable/satellite company, not the RSN. It's a plan that is so transparent it's ridiculous 

#4 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

Well, CSN's ploy is obvious.  But wouldn't Dish want to assess the popularity of the channel?  Or do they already know the cost/benefit relationship and know what is involved.

Honestly, I can't see someone on Dish watching CSN for a few weeks and suddenly saying, "Gee, I never knew I wanted to watch the Rockets play before.  I've gotta dump Dish so I can keep CSN." Fans go where their channels are. 

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hey when Comcast wants to make a deal for Comcast Philly, they we'll talk about Houston. Until that take your free view and shove it!!

That's what I would Say LOL! :hurah:

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#6 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Well, CSN's ploy is obvious.  But wouldn't Dish want to assess the popularity of the channel?  Or do they already know the cost/benefit relationship and know what is involved.

Honestly, I can't see someone on Dish watching CSN for a few weeks and suddenly saying, "Gee, I never knew I wanted to watch the Rockets play before.  I've gotta dump Dish so I can keep CSN." Fans go where their channels are. 

Dish can easily figure out the demand for the channel without having to add it. It's just a gimmick by CSN to put Dish, DirecTV, and AT&T in a position to be the bad guy when the negotiations fail.

• damondlt likes this

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

That's close to exactly what would happen. It would not be so much people who would never watch CSN, but those who might or want to and once having it getting upset to why DISH can't just continue to carry it. Judging from the people who complain about not getting some of their games when while still under contract games get moved to another place and DISH has no agreement to now pay more for those games, OR, people who complain about some games being in SD, I would say there are people who are with DISH but still would like their RSN.

DISH has well demonstrated they calculate the value of channels. They dropped the NY RSN's and publically said the amount of subscribers there who would drop DISH over it was not enough to pay the high cost. Ditto AMC, again publically they said they felt the value of AMC was not that of some other channels AMC was comparing itself to.

(As a side note, I might totally agree about AMC, because I think DISH somewhat overstated it, mostly over the lingering after effects of Voom.)

Edited by tampa8, 10 November 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

That's close to exactly what would happen. It would not be so much people who would never watch CSN, but those who might or want to and once having it getting upset to why DISH can't just continue to carry it. Judging from the people who complain about not getting some of their games when while still under contract games get moved to another place and DISH has no agreement to now pay more for those games, OR, people who complain about some games being in SD, I would say there are people who are with DISH but still would like their RSN.

DISH has well demonstrated they calculate the value of channels. They dropped the NY RSN's and publically said the amount of subscribers there who would drop DISH over it was not enough to pay the high cost. Ditto AMC, again publically they said they felt the value of AMC was not that of some other channels AMC was comparing itself to.

(As a side note, I might totally agree about AMC, because I think DISH somewhat overstated it, mostly over the lingering after effects of Voom.)

Don't forget that in the past three months, Dish Network pulled the plug on Cloo and G4 for the aforementioned reasons.  Both of them are Comcast-owned networks.

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Cloo yes, G4 no. G4 will no longer exist and most have dropped it now. (Cloo isn't carried by Huskyvision or Charter either in my area)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...