Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q4-13 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
378 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   ep1974

ep1974

Legend

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Really have my doubts as to whether any more new HD will be added this quarter. Just my two cents. Hope I'm wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

I got a chance to see that new Esquire channel in HD on a Comcast system.  Though the resolution was HD, any kind of motion or in the case of whatever was on, camera flashing, caused intense macro blocking (or should I say micro blocking)... especially noticeable around detailed edges like the channel logo in the lower right corner.  Seems bit starved to me.  Again still images were clear but introduce any kind of panning motion, flashes, or scene cut aways and it was pretty apparent that YouTube HD video can beat it in terms of quality.

Could be a Comcast thing, but anyway I like to tune into HD channels we don't get to gauge their quality.  GSN HD and PBS Sprout HD looked excellent though.  PBS Sprout was playing the bedtime stuff and had pillar bars but they were colorful PBS Sprout.  Though certain scenes and commercials filled the screen.  Out of all the channels on Comcast that I saw, Esquire HD was the worst.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#53 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 981 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

I got a chance to see that new Esquire channel in HD on a Comcast system.  Though the resolution was HD, any kind of motion or in the case of whatever was on, camera flashing, caused intense macro blocking (or should I say micro blocking)... especially noticeable around detailed edges like the channel logo in the lower right corner.  Seems bit starved to me.  Again still images were clear but introduce any kind of panning motion, flashes, or scene cut aways and it was pretty apparent that YouTube HD video can beat it in terms of quality.

Could be a Comcast thing, but anyway I like to tune into HD channels we don't get to gauge their quality.  GSN HD and PBS Sprout HD looked excellent though.  PBS Sprout was playing the bedtime stuff and had pillar bars but they were colorful PBS Sprout.  Though certain scenes and commercials filled the screen.  Out of all the channels on Comcast that I saw, Esquire HD was the worst.

Except GSN HD, those are programming from Comcast/NBCUniversal. How strange not to have seen one from that conglomerate get added after the April 2012 overdue E! Entertainment Television HD!

Also looking terrific, from those not yet carried in high def by DirecTV, is Discovery Communications' The Hub HD and AMC Networks' Fuse HD and We TV HD.

While we have QVC HD, outstanding picture is also had with Home Shopping Network HD.

We will get these, and more, eventually. But for anyone willing to bet on the next five which will get added in HD … it is not encouraging to anticipate anything coming from Comcast/NBCUniversal.

#54 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

Esquire's VOD channel (1235) is now available for Internet connected HD/DVRs / Genies. All content currently available is in HD; this content is available via DIRECTV Everywhere as well for mobile/tablet/computer devices.
List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 7am-12:30am ET) DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25.99 ($30.99 with HBO) | 3=$36.99 ($41.99 with HBO) | 4=$45.99 ($50.99 with HBO) | All 5=$57.99 per month

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#55 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

What do I anticipate this quarter? Nada.

I'd still like Sundance, the Fox movie channels (whatever they are calling them this week), NASA, CSPAN, and whatever other movie channels are available in HD and we don't have them in HD.

LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#56 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

I would like to see CSS HD be carried.  There are a few SEC and Sunbelt Football games that are on that channel that aren't anywhere else.

Don't count on it. I'm pretty sure Comcast doesn't offer it to the satellite companies, and I'm not even sure if they offer it to other cable companies. Conference USA is one of the big conferences carried on CSS, and in Birmingham CSS is only carried on Charter which is the cable provider in the suburbs. In the city itself, which is home to a C*USA school (UAB) you cannot get CSS on Bright House Networks cable, meaning about half of the televised basketball games and one or two of the televised football games are not even available on the school's campus.

Edited by JosephB, 14 October 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Prism is coming to my area and carries EWTN HD.   Once it's available I may bail on Directv if they haven't picked up EWTN HD.

#58 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Prism is coming to my area and carries EWTN HD.   Once it's available I may bail on Directv if they haven't picked up EWTN HD.

Just so you know, there's currently a bandwidth crunch, some estimated that DirecTV only has enough bandwidth for about 10 full time channels, which could be more or less depending on how much shared bandwidth is reserved for part time feeds that don't show up in the transponder maps unless they are live (i.e. part time networks, the VOD and local ad push channels, Rugby, UEFA, EPL, and bonus feeds for pro sports packages). You might want to wait until the launch of D14 next year before you dismiss any possibility of DirecTV adding channels like EWTN HD.

Edited by KyL416, 14 October 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I say dont crunch it any more. Directv already has very good PQ, dont make the Dish move and put 8-9 channels on one TP.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#60 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Make sure you check that Prism doesn't have an HD stream limitation.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#61 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 981 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

D14, scheduled to get launched in 2014, is likely to shore up a host of "Missing HD" in numerous and various categories. This would include religious programmers like Eternal World Television Network and Trinity Broadcasting Network. It's not common but not uncommon to find those two carried in high definition from other cable providers.

#62 OFFLINE   oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

TBN HD isn't very common. Comcast dropped it in the areas it carried it (Most notably, Baltimore and Pittsburgh), and Time Warner/Bright House has never had it. They do, however, have EWTN HD, EWTN Espanol HD, INSP HD, BYU TV HD and FamilyNet HD now. There are many religious channels in HD. Charter carries some local TBN affiliates in HD as they convert to all-digital in their markets. Service Electric Cablevision in PA has TBN HD, but that's one of the few even substantial companies that have it. Some very rural companies like CAS in WV have it.

I don't know how much capacity D14 will have when it launches, but it certainly should make all HD channels more likely to launch. I think EWTN would be higher on the pecking order than TBN overall, but both could easily be seen. The question there comes down to whether they're adding capacity for 20 HD channels or 40 HD channels.

I think right now the most likely additions whenever D14 launches (or if there's some capacity before that) are going to be companies with existing content deals already that have received additions recently.

This tells me a collection of Discovery networks (Military Channel, The Hub), AMC Networks (WE, Fuse, Sundance), Fox Networks (FXM) or Viacom networks (MTV2, Nick Jr., Nicktoons) are the most likely things to be added. It's hard to say what will happen with independent channels like MavTV, Ovation, Reelz Channel or Pivot. I would especially like to see Pivot HD and Ovation HD added, there's some good programming on both networks.

#63 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 981 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Bright House Networks, in Michigan, doesn't carry TBN HD, but it does have four other religious programmers in high def. (AT&T U-verse carries TBN HD.) The four right now being offered: Brigham Young University Television HD; Eternal World Television Network HD; FamilyNet HD; and INSP HD.

#64 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,198 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Bright House Networks, in Michigan, doesn't carry TBN HD, but it does have four other religious programmers in high def. (AT&T U-verse carries TBN HD.) The four right now being offered: Brigham Young University Television HD; Eternal World Television Network HD; FamilyNet HD; and INSP HD.

bright house in central florida carries the same channels.

#65 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 772 posts
  • LocationVT

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

TCT (ch 377) is the national feed of the TCT network. If you have a local TCT affiliate, you get a similar schedule on xx-1 (mine has some local programming, too). xx-2 is TCT Family, which is HD. Just for fun, TCT Kids is xx-3 (shows classic shows at night) and xx-4 is TCT La Fuente (Spanish.) So TCT Family HD is another one they could add.

TV: Directv HR44/AM21, Terk HDTVo, LG 42" 3D, 2 Samsung TVs
Internet: Xfinity/Comcast w/ESPN3 access
Phone: AT&T Samsung Galaxy 3
Other: Denon AVR591, Panasonic 3D BluRay, Panasonic DVD w/tuner, Phillips VCR

#66 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

I don't think either company will any HD channels until next year.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#67 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

directv added a new hd channel channel 125 is now in hd

#68 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

Based on the transponder maps, it was a result of several shuffles. The HD Cinema previews channel replaced the feed previously used by channel 136 on D12 transponder 11, while channel 136 and a new PPV Movies channel on 141 replaced the MLB Game Mix on D11 transponder 1. Looking at the guide for tommorow, channel 136 and 141 are some of the many HD PPV channels that go off air to make room for Sunday Ticket. Basically it's them monetizing part time bandwidth.

Edited by KyL416, 19 October 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#69 ONLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

The new HD channel(125) is 1080P

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#70 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

I wouldn't count PPV channels. Those are flexible, like NFL ST channels.

#71 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

I wouldn't count PPV channels. Those are flexible, like NFL ST channels.

Exactly, it's just a way for DirecTV to monetize the part time space when they're not in use, the HD Cinema previews channel as well as the new HD PPV Movies channel on 141 came from space that was created as a result of the MLB Game Mix no longer being in use. I doubt anyone (both viewers and the networks themselves) would want to have an actual channel there only for it to go away once the NBA or MLB season returns or for it to be pre-empted when they need the space on Sunday afternoons.

Edited by KyL416, 19 October 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#72 ONLINE   YUMA11

YUMA11

AllStar

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

also not exist ESPN3D was in HD.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#73 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,441 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

When the latest transponder map was made on Wednesday they still had ESPN3D up as a placeholder, so it wasn't related to the recent changes. Since then it was finally taken down, so we'll have to wait until next week or the next Sixto report to see if they did anything with that bandwidth.

Edited by KyL416, 19 October 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#74 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,288 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Exactly, it's just a way for DirecTV to monetize the part time space when they're not in use, the HD Cinema previews channel as well as the new HD PPV Movies channel on 141 came from space that was created as a result of the MLB Game Mix no longer being in use. I doubt anyone (both viewers and the networks themselves) would want to have an actual channel there only for it to go away once the NBA or MLB season returns or for it to be pre-empted when they need the space on Sunday afternoons.

Why not have NBA or NHL mix or even super sports pack MIX?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#75 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,860 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

Why not have NBA or NHL mix or even super sports pack MIX?

Don't league based mix channels require a deal with the leagues? Also, doesn't any channel on a mix channel require an agreement with the channel to be on the mix channel?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...