Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Geniego Out of Home Router setup issues...

Best Answer Motleyfan , 06 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Got it fixed finally.  I had to change the services setting of what was allowed to access the modem and play with the firewall rules.  Basically portforwarding without calling it that.  Love how Netgear does their modem setup.

Thanks to all who offered solutions.  

Nick

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Motleyfan

Motleyfan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

I was having trouble getting the screen shot to look right on the reply so i attached a copy of it in the attached pdf file. My IP address for the genie go is 192.168.1.75

Thanks....

Nick

Attached Files

• Attached File  Doc1.pdf   184.96KB   81 downloads

Edited by Motleyfan, 30 December 2013 - 10:11 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   gripesofwrath

gripesofwrath

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCarson City

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

Is your Uverse device just a modem, or is it a modem/router? If it's a modem/router, you'll need to set up port forwarding on it as well. Instead of forwarding the IP address of the GenieGo on it, forward the WAN IP address that you see on your Asus router.

When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth.   :righton: 

#23 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Motleyfan, why is the first entry 8082/8083 and the second entry 8083/8083?

Was the first one intended to be 8082/8082?

For my setup my Uverse modem has both ports forwarded to the WAN IP address.   99.x.x.x

And I have a separate Netgear router after the Uverse modem with the two ports forwarded to the 192.168.x.x address of the GG box.

I don't know enough about the Asus product to help further

#24 OFFLINE   Motleyfan

Motleyfan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

I'm not sure how I got the 8082 and 8083 mixed up.  I've done it enough correctly to know that is not the issue.  Will fix it though.  I think based on what I am hearing is it might be the moden.  It is in router/mode, configuration but I can['t find anywhere in the modem adjustments to do port forwarding on it.  I've checked every screen when I logged into the modem and can't find anything that shows port forwarding.  It is a Netgear ALDS2 + Modem DM111PSPv2.  My ISP is Centurylink DSL.  I tried switching the modem to just modem mode but then nothing seems to work.

Nick

#25 OFFLINE   gripesofwrath

gripesofwrath

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCarson City

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

I found the manual for your Uverse device using Google. To set up port forwarding it says In the Advanced section of the main menu, select Port Forwarding, and then click Add. I can't vouch for this, but give it a try! Good luck.

When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth.   :righton: 

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:35 AM

DHCP reservations are inside the DHCP address pool, as was correctly stated earlier.  Outside the address pool are just reserved addresses and usually static..networking 101 guys...

#27 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

DHCP reservations are inside the DHCP address pool, as was correctly stated earlier.  Outside the address pool are just reserved addresses and usually static..networking 101 guys...

IMHO, DHCP reservations can be inside or outside the pool. Even Microsoft agrees: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196066

/steve

#28 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Unless you are using another DHCP scope, assigning IP addresses to devices outside of a scope aren't using DHCP, so no matter what MS says...it cant be a DHCP reservation.  Most home routers don't have the ability to use multiple DHCP scopes. The article you referenced is referring to DHCP manager on an actual server OS managing DHCP, which allows all kinds of non-standard custom DHCP settings that are way outside of of this discussion.

#29 OFFLINE   Motleyfan

Motleyfan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I just got off the phone with netgear customer support.  The netgear modem I have   DM111PSPv2 does not alllow for port forwarding.  So I think I may be screwed.  I can't get the internet to work when i turn the router portion of the modem off and try to use it strictly as a modem and the ASUS router as my only router.  Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Nick

#30 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Unless you are using another DHCP scope, assigning IP addresses to devices outside of a scope aren't using DHCP, so no matter what MS says...it cant be a DHCP reservation. 

:shrug: The last 3-4 "home" routers I've used here all allowed reservations outside the pool (Linksys, D-Link, Actiontec, Motorola). Here's what I can do with an Actiontec, e.g. As you can see, it's the DHCP server that's reserving the static IP for that MAC address, and it's outside the pool.

Attached Thumbnails

• DHCP Scope.jpg
  • DHCP Reservation.jpg

/steve

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

I just got off the phone with netgear customer support.  The netgear modem I have   DM111PSPv2 does not alllow for port forwarding.  So I think I may be screwed.

Kind of odd the CSRs told you that, because the book for that modem (available here) clearly says you can forward ports (section 3-6).

I'm late to this discussion, but one thing you can try to make sure your ISP isn't blocking anything is to put your GenieGo device in the Netgear's DMZ. Take a look at page 3-10 of that PDF. Put the LAN IP address of the GenieGo device in there and it (and only it) will be exposed to the public internet, so there will be no need to forward any ports from it. OOH should work. If that does work, then I'd try reading the section on port forwarding in 3-6 and give that another shot.

You could actually leave the GG device in the DMZ, but its a potential security risk, if a hacker figured out it was there and knew how to exploit a GenieGo device to get onto your home network.

/steve

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'll agree with CC, mainly on the basis that it contradicts what MS says.....

:eek2:  :bang  !rolling

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:58 PM

:shrug: The last 3-4 "home" routers I've used here all allowed reservations outside the pool (Linksys, D-Link, Actiontec, Motorola). Here's what I can do with an Actiontec, e.g. As you can see, it's the DHCP server that's reserving the static IP for that MAC address, and it's outside the pool.

Well, that is a Verizon router you have there... As mentioned, if you assign an IP address via the router to an IP address outside the DHCP range, it is not a DHCP Reservation. It is just a reserved IP address. Except for the nuance of the name, there is really no difference in how it works.

In the DHCP Reservation, the DHCP server is assigning an IP address to the device with MAC specified and the IP address you requested. Whenever that DHCP lease expires, it is renewed with the same IP address. The DHCP server also knows not to use that IP address when
assigning IP addresses to other devices.

In a reserved IP address setting (outside the DHCP range), you are just telling the router to assign a specific IP address to a device according to its MAC address. In some cases, certain routers still require this assignment to be for an amount of time. When that time is up, the router will see if the reservation is still present at which time it "renews" the lease. Other routers allow a more permanent setup since it knows it will never use that IP address as it is outside the DHCP range.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#34 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

CCarncross. . . (Win 8.1 won't quote)

Re: your post 28 above. . . then who do you think is supplying the address to my GG -- my DHCP server on my Linksys router!  Even the stock Linksys firmware now allows an address outside of the pool.  And so does DD-WRT that I'm using.

Since you can't assign a STATIC address to GG, the reservation is the next best thing to do.

When GG powers up, it requests an address from the DHCP Server!

If the router goes south, the address goes away when it times out.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

Well, that is a Verizon router you have there... As mentioned, if you assign an IP address via the router to an IP address outside the DHCP range, it is not a DHCP Reservation. It is just a reserved IP address. Except for the nuance of the name, there is really no difference in how it works.

I'm able to do that with other routers as well. It's the DHCP server running inside the router that's assigning the address in either case, Merg, whether it's inside or outside the pool, which is my point. Maybe we're just arguing semantics. :shrug:

/steve

#36 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

And the GG address is listed in the Routers DHCP usage list as a client.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Here's another tutorial showing how to assign a static address outside the pool using DHCP and a DD-WRT router:

http://www.wi-fiplan...cle.php/3624251

Attached Thumbnails

• DDWRT.jpg

/steve

#38 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

I'm able to do that with other routers as well. It's the DHCP server running inside the router that's assigning the address in either case, Merg, whether it's inside or outside the pool, which is my point. Maybe we're just arguing semantics. :shrug:

That was kinda my point... :)

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#39 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

That was kinda my point... :)

Then we're in violent agreement! :)

:up:

/steve

#40 OFFLINE   Motleyfan

Motleyfan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Kind of odd the CSRs told you that, because the book for that modem (available here) clearly says you can forward ports (section 3-6).

I'm late to this discussion, but one thing you can try to make sure your ISP isn't blocking anything is to put your GenieGo device in the Netgear's DMZ. Take a look at page 3-10 of that PDF. Put the LAN IP address of the GenieGo device in there and it (and only it) will be exposed to the public internet, so there will be no need to forward any ports from it. OOH should work. If that does work, then I'd try reading the section on port forwarding in 3-6 and give that another shot.

You could actually leave the GG device in the DMZ, but its a potential security risk, if a hacker figured out it was there and knew how to exploit a GenieGo device to get onto your home network.

Steve.... i appreciate the info.  Problem I'm gettin is when I go to the main menu under advanced settings i can't find anything anywhere that will allow me to port forward.  I checked under lan setup, wan setup, etc.  Nothing shows port fowarding.  Sounds like I need to turn something on somewhere else to get port forwarding to show up.

spam firewall