Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Geniego Out of Home Router setup issues...

Best Answer Motleyfan , 06 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Got it fixed finally.  I had to change the services setting of what was allowed to access the modem and play with the firewall rules.  Basically portforwarding without calling it that.  Love how Netgear does their modem setup.

Thanks to all who offered solutions.  

Nick

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Steve.... i appreciate the info.  Problem I'm gettin is when I go to the main menu under advanced settings i can't find anything anywhere that will allow me to port forward.  I checked under lan setup, wan setup, etc.  Nothing shows port fowarding.  Sounds like I need to turn something on somewhere else to get port forwarding to show up.

That's weird. Can you see the "DMZ" section under advanced settings? If so, you can try putting the LAN IP of your GG device there. If you can, then reboot the router and see if OOH works. No port forwarding is required when it's configured like that.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Motleyfan

Motleyfan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

All I have under advanced is: WAN setup, dynamic DNS, LAN setup ,remote mangement, static routes,UPnP, and device manager.  This is really weird.  It may be a verizon modem but I got it at best buy and I have centurylink DSL with a dynamic IOP address.

#43 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

All I have under advanced is: WAN setup, dynamic DNS, LAN setup ,remote mangement, static routes,UPnP, and device manager.  This is really weird.  It may be a verizon modem but I got it at best buy and I have centurylink DSL with a dynamic IOP address.

Sounds like somebody loaded some custom software on it, different from the user guide I found on-line. Bummer. :(

/steve

#44 OFFLINE   gripesofwrath

gripesofwrath

• Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCarson City

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Wow. If there's really no way to set up port forwarding on this thing, I guess you could replace it with just a plain old DSL modem. (I believe that's the technology Uverse uses.) Heck, if you call them they might even send you one for free, or at least recommend one that's compatible with their service.

When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth.   :righton: 

#45 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,800 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Back when I had DSL from ATT (Bell South), I had a Westell modem that could be reconfigured to bridge mode (transparent).   The router even took over the PPoE authentication on the DSL line.

From reading these threads recent DSL and Cable modem / routers have really complicated the port forwarding issues.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#46 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,023 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Back when I had DSL from ATT (Bell South), I had a Westell modem that could be reconfigured to bridge mode (transparent).   The router even took over the PPoE authentication on the DSL line.

From reading these threads recent DSL and Cable modem / routers have really complicated the port forwarding issues.

Spot on Dennis.

I have the good fortune (being sarcastic) of that exact setup here. Unfortunately this part of town hasn't joined this millenium yet for faster Internet access (except Comcast - and that ain't gonna happen here).

To your point, setup for GenieGo and the Out of Home option was a piece of cake with this legacy type of connectivity.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:41 AM

Steve.... i appreciate the info. Problem I'm gettin is when I go to the main menu under advanced settings i can't find anything anywhere that will allow me to port forward. I checked under lan setup, wan setup, etc. Nothing shows port fowarding. Sounds like I need to turn something on somewhere else to get port forwarding to show up.

Can you post some screen captures of then modem setup screens so we can see them?

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#48 OFFLINE   Motleyfan

Motleyfan

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:31 AM   Best Answer

Got it fixed finally.  I had to change the services setting of what was allowed to access the modem and play with the firewall rules.  Basically portforwarding without calling it that.  Love how Netgear does their modem setup.

Thanks to all who offered solutions.  

Nick

Protected By... spam firewall...And...