Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Veterans Day 2013

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,524 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

My appreciation to all who have served and to all who are serving. It is time to remember those you know who have served. (In our household we take time to remember my wife's sister.)

Also, let your Veteran or active duty friends know about the growing 2013 Veterans Day Free Meals and Discounts list.

Finally don't forget the DBSTalk Segs4Vets Donation Drive.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thank you Phrelin, for bringing this to the forefront.

Thank you Veterans and their families!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Absolutely! Happy Veterans Day to all the Vets! Including my brother, father, three uncles and grandfather!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thank you.

My grandfathers, uncles, father, brother, brother-in-law and myself all served.

Not to brag, but my father went into the Army as a high school drop out with a GED, retired 20 years later as a Major with a BA and MA, did two tours in Vietnam, traveled the world meeting his wife/my mother while stationed in Germany. The military was good to him.

He sent me this today. > http://www.youtube.c..._detail page [1

Thank you to all the veterans out there who have served, and who are currently serving today. God bless.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 11 November 2013 - 03:48 PM.

• MysteryMan likes this

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,524 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

In our families we have many who served going back at least to the Civil War.

Even though he had worked for the Army Corps of Engineers, my dad was really too old to serve at the outbreak of WWII. Nonetheless, he tried to enlist. When they found out he could take shorthand, type, run an adding machine, do bookkeeping, etc., they let him enlist, ran him through a basic Basic, and then - as he described it -had him relieve a WAC for active duty. He served as a company clerk in the Pacific Theater stateside in tough places like the Presidio of Monterey. Nonetheless my mother had his service is noted on his tombstone.

My sister-in-law, mentioned in the first post, served in Vietnam as a nurse. An RN, she became a career officer. She wouldn't talk much about the war to any of us. The Army gave her a fantastic deal if she would delay retirement for three years. if you Google her - A. J. Frelin - you get a bunch of results such as this listing. Apparently she was pretty important - she said (at the time a couple of years before "Desert Storm") she was involved in the team redesigning the entire medical care system for desert warfare, so she stayed in. Unfortunately, she lived only five years after retiring dying of something she had been given a partial disability rating for by the Army related to Vietnam. The family is proud of her service. She was one of the smartest, most interesting people I've met in my lifetime.

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thank you.

My grandfathers, uncles, father, brother, brother-in-law and myself all served.

Not to brag, but my father went into the Army as a high school drop out with a GED, retired 20 years later as a Major with a BA and MA, did two tours in Vietnam, traveled the world meeting his wife/my mother while stationed in Germany. The military was good to him.

He sent me this today. > http://www.youtube.c..._detail page [1

Thank you to all the veterans out there who have served, and who are currently serving today. God bless.

That's a great video. Thanks for sharing it with us.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Today is only one side of the coin.

Today is for those that survived, while Memorial Day is for our heroes, who didn't.

Honor & Duty are more than words, and I hope more will learn what they truly mean.

A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm sorry but I have a hard time with Veteran's Day. Especially knowing that we have so many great men and women who put their lives on the line everyday protecting us right here at home and they aren't treated with free dinners and applause when they walk in a room.  I'm speaking of our firefighters and local police.   It's time Veteran's Day be expanded to honor not only those who have served our country in the military but to also honor those who serve and protect us right here on our doorstep. 

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'm sorry but I have a hard time with Veteran's Day....   I'm speaking of our firefighters and local police.   It's time Veteran's Day be expanded to honor not only those who have served our country in the military but to also honor those who serve and protect us right here on our doorstep. 

I don't want to dismiss their service and the danger they face, "but" their commitment isn't the same.

A veteran has signed "a blank check", lasting years.

The Police & Fireman generally get to live at home and go to a job.

They retain the ability to quit.

Those that haven't served really don't know what is given up to serve.  

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

I don't want to dismiss their service and the danger they face, "but" their commitment isn't the same.

A veteran has signed "a blank check", lasting years.

The Police & Fireman generally get to live at home and go to a job.

They retain the ability to quit.

Those that haven't served really don't know what is given up to serve.  

One must remember that today's voluntary service is not like what it was 40 years ago.  Today, when you sign your name on the dotted line you are doing it of your own free will.  I look at things very differently when it comes to those who served and were drafted and those who today who choose to sign up and receive large bonuses. 

I'm sorry but I'm not saying we should not pay honor to those who served our country  but it's time that we need to be thanking everyone who puts their lives on the line for all of us.

BTW, I was not allowed to serve due to medical conditions but by no means did it mean I didn't want to. 

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

One must remember that today's voluntary service is not like what it was 40 years ago.  Today, when you sign your name on the dotted line you are doing it of your own free will.  I look at things very differently when it comes to those who served and were drafted and those who today who choose to sign up and receive large bonuses. 

My service was voluntary, but there was no "signing bonus" and the reenlistment bonus wasn't that much.

I don't know what the signing bonuses are these days, but you make it sound like signing for a major sports team, and I'm sure they're not.

What most may not understand is:

The rights you signup to defend, are the same rights you surrender doing so.

"You don't appreciate what you have, until you don't have them anymore".

The Policeman & Fireman haven't surrendered anything.

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

I fully support a National First Responders Day and some have suggested Sep 11th would be an appropriate date for that.

But since Veterans Day is on Nov 11th because the armistice that ended 'the war to end all wars' was signed on Nov 11th at 11 AM, I don't think it would be appropriate to add first responders to Veterans Day.

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

Stop Loss was initiated a long time ago, around 2005. Lots of soldiers cannot get out when their term is up. And we officers can be recalled at any time. I was once.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

Stop Loss was initiated a long time ago, around 2005. Lots of soldiers cannot get out when their term is up. And we officers can be recalled at any time. I was once.

"Ah yes" and don't forget the 2 years reserve status after you've finished your 4 years.

I checked into the signing bonus and found the Air Force bonuses for 2006-09.

If you go into a critical field, you can get a "whopping" $3,000 for your 4 years.

So $750/year or $2,100+ if you go for the long haul.

How many want to lock themselves in for SIX YEARS?

A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,473 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Police and fire don't get moved every 2-4 years, costing the family literally thousands of dollars.  The spouse has to get a new job each time, the kids have to start new schools each time.  And many families lose their pets.  Either due to breed restrictions at post housing or overseas. Or the cost of trying to board them while finding or waiting for a home.  We had to board a 120 pound shepherd and 3 cats when were assigned to Little Rock Air Force Base as Army.  There was no base housing, no housing in 30 miles, and the only house we could afford (45 minutes away) was not going to be available for a month.  Oh, and I was 32 weeks pregnant with twin boys when we arrived.  (I was the dependent spouse then!).  So no one would hire me.

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,524 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

I'm sorry but I have a hard time with Veteran's Day. Especially knowing that we have so many great men and women who put their lives on the line everyday protecting us right here at home and they aren't treated with free dinners and applause when they walk in a room.  I'm speaking of our firefighters and local police.   It's time Veteran's Day be expanded to honor not only those who have served our country in the military but to also honor those who serve and protect us right here on our doorstep. 

There are about 795,000 police officers in the U.S. and it is nearly impossible to get close to accurate numbers for fire departments because 87% are volunteer or mostly volunteer departments, but suffice it to say there are over a million. The U.S. has about 1.5 million active military and about 900,000 in reserves.

In my life have had to attend more than one funeral for police officers and firefighters. As of today in the U.S. there were 90 police officer deaths and 81 firefighter deaths this year. Over the ten year period from 2003-2013 there have been 6,776 members of the U.S. military killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. I've never been uncomfortable thinking that Memorial Day honored all of those who died "in the line of duty" be it "civilian" or "military." But...

Veteran's Day was and is about service to the Nation involving a commitment that is significantly different than the police or fire services.

When you go into the military they take title to your life. You can't get up in the morning and decide to call your boss and quit your job. And, as has been pointed out here, once you have been in and served your tour, they still can pick up the phone and tell you to stop working at your really good job and go to Afghanistan for a year or two. It is not similar to being a cop or firefighter.

So we say thanks to those who served in the military - even those who were conscripted (a term meaning "compulsory enrollment of persons for military service"). It seems like the least we could do here in a country that essentially has been fighting wars somewhere in the world my entire lifetime, some of which were not well thought out by the politicians who decided to fight them. These are the politicians who we put in office by voting or choosing not to vote and thereby granted them the right to screw with the lives of a couple of million members of the military and their families.

I don't minimize what our emergency responders do, but their employment terms are radically different from those in the military.

My AV Setup

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,787 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Policemen are honored every year on 15 May (Peace Officer's Memorial Day created on 1 October 61). Firemen are honored every year on 4 May (International Firefighter's Day instituted on 4 January 99). I fail to see the need or want to incorporate honoring them on Veteran's Day.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#18 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:53 AM

"Ah yes" and don't forget the 2 years reserve status after you've finished your 4 years.

If you go into a critical field, you can get a "whopping" $3,000 for your 4 years.

My neighbors kid just signed up for the navy and received a $10,000 bonus and upon completing their CHOSEN 4 year hitch will receive an additional $25,000 $50,000 not to mention all the benefits which go with it..

Edit: correcting bonus being offered to the neighbors kid was $50,000 provided he agreed to a 4 year hitch with at least 1 year at sea. He is also free to leave the service after 2 years and receive half that.  

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Police and fire don't get moved every 2-4 years, costing the family literally thousands of dollars.  The spouse has to get a new job each time, the kids have to start new schools each time.  And many families lose their pets.  Either due to breed restrictions at post housing or overseas. Or the cost of trying to board them while finding or waiting for a home.  We had to board a 120 pound shepherd and 3 cats when were assigned to Little Rock Air Force Base as Army.  There was no base housing, no housing in 30 miles, and the only house we could afford (45 minutes away) was not going to be available for a month.  Oh, and I was 32 weeks pregnant with twin boys when we arrived.  (I was the dependent spouse then!).  So no one would hire me.

I'm sorry to have to say this but that's a risk you assume when a member of your family choose the military as their career. 

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

There are plenty of people that would love a guaranteed six year job with benefits, housing, food, clothing, medical, dental, GI bill plus $13,000 to sign up, thats a lot of money to a young kid. When you're young those six years will go by quick.

My neighbors kid just signed up for the navy and received a $10,000 bonus and upon completing their CHOSEN 4 year hitch will receive an additional $25,000 not to mention all the benefits which go with it..

Exactly, plus the experience they will gain.

If I would have stayed in I could have retired in 4 more years with a pension and medical coverage the rest of my life. Thats life though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...