Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

TV Apps issue/question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I got an HR 44 a few weeks ago, and finally started poking around on things beyond regular TV.  All the extra stuff seems to work other than TV Apps (have no idea what is buried in there), and pushing the ">" button.  Trying either of those yields a message saying there is no internet connection.

The only internet connection I set up was a wireless connection to the HR44-700.  When I push the "-" button, it says I am both SWM and Internet connected.  On Demand works, which I assume uses the internet.  YouTube, Pandora, & the Active button also work.  If I go in the other room and try my HR22, it does the same thing (albeit a lot slower).  There is only one internet connection, which is the wireless to the HR44.

Are TV Apps something reserved for future use, or are they something I absolutely must have?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 8,879 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Currently there are only a few apps available. One was weather and I cannot even remember the others at this time.  Last I checked there were 3 or 4 in there.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I got an HR 44 a few weeks ago, and finally started poking around on things beyond regular TV.  All the extra stuff seems to work other than TV Apps (have no idea what is buried in there), and pushing the ">" button.  Trying either of those yields a message saying there is no internet connection.

The only internet connection I set up was a wireless connection to the HR44-700.  When I push the "-" button, it says I am both SWM and Internet connected.  On Demand works, which I assume uses the internet.  YouTube, Pandora, & the Active button also work.  If I go in the other room and try my HR22, it does the same thing (albeit a lot slower).  There is only one internet connection, which is the wireless to the HR44.

Are TV Apps something reserved for future use, or are they something I absolutely must have?

TV apps today include 5 apps delivered via the broadband connection Weather,ScoreGuide, Social TV, Whats Hot and Fantasy football. The advantahe of an app delivetred via the internet is it can be used on any channel while older apps were delivered via satellite and tied to a specific channel.

#4 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:32 PM

I see now I didn't ask the question properly. I am more interested in understanding why TV Apps are the only broadband function that doesn't realize I have an internet connection.

#5 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

I see now I didn't ask the question properly. I am more interested in understanding why TV Apps are the only broadband function that doesn't realize I have an internet connection.

looks more like a bug.

spam firewall