Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coverage provided by DirecTV repair plan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi:

I am a long time DirecTV customer. Last month I few of my channels stopped working. These included NFL network BET, Comedy Central.

I called up DirecTV and they sent a contractor to repair the issue.

Today the installer came and told me that my satelite 103 is not able to send the signals.

He showed me that wiring coming from the installed Dish is fine. These were outdoor wires.

When I built my home in 2006 they wired the home for satelite/cable etc. They used wires rated for indoor only.

Most of the wires are inside the house but they are connected to the black wires from the dish outside my home.

These wires seemed damaged and moisture has traveled into these wires.

I was told that DirecTV only authorized 1 hour repair call. Since my basement is finished they will have to fish wires and replace the wires that run from exterior to the multi-switch inside my house. This was quoted as a 3-4 hour job with 2 people. The estimate cost was $200.

I was wondering if anybody else has run into this situation. Shouldn't DirecTV repair plan cover this issue? Is $200 a reasonable estimate?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Your in a very grey area for this one.

Just to make sure I got this right in my head.

The cabling installed in the house has failed but the cabling out side the house is fine?

If you have the Protection plan (PP) than it should be covered no matter what at no charge as it covers the cabling and everything else. even if D* didn't install the failed cable(s) in question

If you signed up for the PP on the service call request it's not covered in the house as it wasn't active at the time of the service request.

If you took a out of warranty service call than it's not covered. at all as D* didn't install it. 

The one hour part is bunk they are allocated one hour of work time but are required to repair the install entirely.

If you have questions about custom charges (the $200 quote) than request to speak to the field supervisor. If the on site tech declines to contact them call D* with the tech on site and request a Custom charge call back that goes directly to the local office and they will contact  you from there.

Normally installation of a wall fish is not covered and is $49 per floor per cable being fished.

To my knowledge there is no Per hour fee. there is per job fee.

X job costs X to complete. If normally paid for techniques from D* are not useable or requested to not be used for any reason. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

You have it correct. They need to run a new set of cables from outside the house into my basement which is finished but it is possible to install new cables.

I have had DirecTV protection plan for many years. I was also surprised by the 1 hour rule.

The technition called his supervisor. He told me that they did not install the cables so they will not cover replacing the cables installed by the home owner.

This did not make sense. I was asked to pay $200 and they will send 2 guys to install new cables. Another option that was provided to me was to pay $140 to the technition on the side without DirecTV involvement.

All this raised enough red flags to prompt me to come here.

I will called DirecTV to see what they will do for me.

#4 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

If the cables from outside to the inside are damaged they are covered. With the PP even if  you installed them that's the point of the PP covered everything needed for the D* system even if you installed it, (provided it's required for D* to work minus the tv) At least that was the rule when I was there. 

It sounds to  me like someone is trying to make a little more money and fudging the custom charge rules. 

The wall fish rule may still apply but i can't see them doing 4 cables through one floor. if they are going to force the issue see if you can get a genie from D* that will take all four cables and make them one which will by default reduce the cost to one $49 charge on site. The PP provides one free upgrade every 24 months of being active. 

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#5 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

The technition called his supervisor. He told me that they did not install the cables so they will not cover replacing the cables installed by the home owner.

This did not make sense. I was asked to pay $200 and they will send 2 guys to install new cables. Another option that was provided to me was to pay $140 to the technition on the side without DirecTV involvement.

All this raised enough red flags to prompt me to come here.

I will called DirecTV to see what they will do for me.

I think i would let someone "higher up" know what just went on. I don't have any issues with a person making a little extra for something that is truly not covered but, to flat out give a customer the wrong idea of whats covered to do it is just wrong. Makes it even worse to know that the supervisor was in on it... I'll give the tech the benifit of the dought, its possible he could have been new and didn't know but, the supervisor should have known better.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#6 OFFLINE   cwtech

cwtech

Mentor

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I could be wrong but didn the op say they would be "fishing" the cable. If that being the case, that 200 dollar charge could be for the custom wall fish charge which is not covered by the protection plan, If that being the case then the installer should have said it this way instead of the way the op said he said it, but being none of us were there we just going by how the op says it was said lol.

#7 OFFLINE   hehateme

hehateme

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:17 PM

I did call DirecTV and they told me that installers have the ability to define what is included in a standard service call versus something that is custom.

About 4 years ago my dish and the wiring went bad and the protection plan covered the complete cost of dish replacement.

This time the wiring connecting the wires from the dish to the multiswitch needs to be replaced. Since the basement is already finshed they do have to fish 4 wires in to the utility room.

The customer service rep told me that they will call the installation company and investigate.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

I did call DirecTV and they told me that installers have the ability to define what is included in a standard service call versus something that is custom.

About 4 years ago my dish and the wiring went bad and the protection plan covered the complete cost of dish replacement.

This time the wiring connecting the wires from the dish to the multiswitch needs to be replaced. Since the basement is already finshed they do have to fish 4 wires in to the utility room.

The customer service rep told me that they will call the installation company and investigate.

Fishing cables is not typically considered to be part of "standard installation".  A tech charging for this extra service is normal.

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, but in this case he has the protection plan to cover everything about the initial install.  that should count for something.

If it doesn't, it really shows how nearly worthless the PP is.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,786 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

incidentally, the plan's ToS does not mention anything about custom charges, it does however mentions that it will reimbursed the customer for "authorized repairs for the product"

What Is Covered: The Plan covers parts and labor costs resulting from a breakdown of the product, and/or normal wear and tear, including those manifesting from power surges. Re-alignment after a successful installation and all associated cabling switches are also covered under this Plan. We will either provide for the repair of your product or reimburse you for authorized repairs to the product

http://www.directv.c...onal Launch.pdf

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

You are mentioning "they" a few times....was the basement finished off when the cables were put in?  Who is/was "they"?

Edited by CCarncross, 13 November 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

You are mentioning "they" a few times....was the basement finished off when the cables were put in?  Who is/was "they"?

Good question.  I just assumed that since "'they' wired for satellite/cable etc..." that "they" were the home builders, not DirecTV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...