Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix updates Xbox 360, PS3, Roku and Smart TV apps with unified interface

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Netflix updates Xbox 360, PS3, Roku and Smart TV apps with unified interface

As much as we love Netflix, we've always found it a bit odd that the browsing experience is fragmented between platforms. Jumping between PS3, Xbox and Roku devices can be a jarring experience, each offering its own spin on the Netflix queue with an inconsistent distribution of the service's best features. Even Netflix is put off by the mixed ecosystem: which is why it's launching a new, unified television experience today.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

If you do not have the latest generation Netflix capable device, it appears you are SOL.  I use a Samsung smart TV, Roku, and a bunch of Sony Blu Ray players, and there are three different user interfaces. 

1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#3 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

I have the Roku3 and nothing new yet will try another software update function today.

#4 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

My XBox update but my Roku 3 and Samsung TV(2013 model 6300) have not. Roku hasn't even rolled out 5.2 to me yet either. I dunno what it is with Roku, but everything they do, to me, is at a glacial pace so I don't expect it soon.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#5 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,583 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

The latest I heard was about a two week rollout for the latest devices (game consoles, Roku 3 etc.), then early next year for devices that are one generation back (Roku 2 etc.).  Netflix's goal is to have a unified experience across all platforms.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#6 OFFLINE   archer75

archer75

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

I got the update today on my Roku 3.  Pretty damn nice!

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,618 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

Still nothing on my Sammy BD players.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

I got the update on my 2 Xbox 360's but not the Samsung Blu-ray or Panasonic Plasma TV.

#9 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Very bad Netflix decision.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. (Maybe I missed it.)

Netflix has made a lousy and unnecessary decision in the implementation of the new interface. This behavior is consistent for every movie I have watched so far.

When the closing credits come up for a movie, Netflix shrinks the active display to about 1/8 of the screen so that they can make suggestions about other things to watch. Their suggestions occupy about 7/8 of the screen.

One consequence is that the credits are impossible to read. Another consequence is that any plot extensions, out takes, or other devices that are present are impossible to see.

I find this extremely irritating. People work hard on these movies and should be properly credited for their work. When I watch a movie, I want  to see the whole movie. I don't want part of the movie usurped by ads and irrelevant suggestions.

If anyone knows how to turn this behavior off, please post.

Burt

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't know how to turn it off, but if you click up and highlight the box showing the end of the show/movie and click OK, it will go back to full screen.

#11 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

I don't know how to turn it off, but if you click up and highlight the box showing the end of the show/movie and click OK, it will go back to full screen.

Thank you! I'll give it a try in a few days when I watch my next movie.

Burt

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

Though it won't help with outtakes, IMDB.com has all the credit info you could expect to see, and more. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

I've noticed that the "Start from beginning" option is no longer available. You can only resume. Am I just not seeing it somewhere?

#14 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

It works. Many thanks for the tip.

Burt

#15 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Though it won't help with outtakes, IMDB.com has all the credit info you could expect to see, and more. 

Thanks for the response. I know about IMDB, but the issue of appropriate credits extends beyond the fact that you could go to your computer and dig up the credits. My wife is in the industry and it has sensitized me to the fact that placement in front or in back of the movie, type of credit, and many other subtleties work to establish a kind of Hollywood pecking order. People outside of the industry are on their way out of the theater or heading toward the bathroom when the closing credits roll. For people inside the industry, these issues have job implications.

There is a new issue concerning what happens during closing credits. I recently saw a movie in the theater. (I think it was Thor II.) There were two scenes embedded in the closing credits that were important extensions of the plot and relevant to the next installment of the franchise. Anyone who didn't see those scenes was short-changed.

In any event, I think Netflix's decision was inappropriate and just plain dumb. I'm glad there is a workaround. Netflix should publicize it.

Thanks again,

Burt

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

And thank you for the explanation. IIRC, some of the funniest clips I've seen were during the credits roll of Being There. Sellars at his best. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

And thank you for the explanation. IIRC, some of the funniest clips I've seen were during the credits roll of Being There. Sellars at his best. 

You have great taste. I had forgotten about Being There. Think I'll download it.

Cheers,

Burt

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the response. I know about IMDB, but the issue of appropriate credits extends beyond the fact that you could go to your computer and dig up the credits. My wife is in the industry and it has sensitized me to the fact that placement in front or in back of the movie, type of credit, and many other subtleties work to establish a kind of Hollywood pecking order. People outside of the industry are on their way out of the theater or heading toward the bathroom when the closing credits roll. For people inside the industry, these issues have job implications.

There is a new issue concerning what happens during closing credits. I recently saw a movie in the theater. (I think it was Thor II.) There were two scenes embedded in the closing credits that were important extensions of the plot and relevant to the next installment of the franchise. Anyone who didn't see those scenes was short-changed.

In any event, I think Netflix's decision was inappropriate and just plain dumb. I'm glad there is a workaround. Netflix should publicize it.

Thanks again,

Burt

Just an FYI all marvel movies have small scenes at the end if the credits. All of them. Many people know this and stick around for them if they are fans in general. But many don't realize it too I'm sure.

#19 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 791 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

Very bad Netflix decision.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this. (Maybe I missed it.)

Netflix has made a lousy and unnecessary decision in the implementation of the new interface. This behavior is consistent for every movie I have watched so far.

When the closing credits come up for a movie, Netflix shrinks the active display to about 1/8 of the screen so that they can make suggestions about other things to watch. Their suggestions occupy about 7/8 of the screen.

One consequence is that the credits are impossible to read. Another consequence is that any plot extensions, out takes, or other devices that are present are impossible to see.

I find this extremely irritating. People work hard on these movies and should be properly credited for their work. When I watch a movie, I want to see the whole movie. I don't want part of the movie usurped by ads and irrelevant suggestions.

If anyone knows how to turn this behavior off, please post.

Burt

I have been watching the X-Files and it no longer seems to do this. It use too. Is it just for movies now?

#20 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

I have been watching the X-Files and it no longer seems to do this. It use too. Is it just for movies now?

Interesting. I hope it is a harbinger of 2014. I've been watching the BBCA series, Invasion Earth. As of last night, Netflix was still shrinking the closing credits.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...