Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A new slowness in DVR response?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

I've been taking a hands-off, might leave, might not approach to my DirecTV subscription for awhile now. Hence, I have not paid a lot of attention to software updates or the latest complaints. Forgive me if this is old hat (and it is).

Over the least few weeks (months?) or so, both my HD DVRs (21 and 23) have been responding so slowly to remote commands that I have actually gone out and gotten new remotes, tried new batteries, and even shut all the effing lights off in the house. I have even gone so far as to get into the service menu and run HDD tests, and have found zero issues. Has there been software "improvements" lately that has destroyed the ability of these already slow machines to take timely remote commands?  I'm talking asking for a FF and getting it 10 seconds later. Asking it to stop FF and it refusing to do so, but running all the way to the end before it responds. Also things like pressing list and almost being able to run out for a glass of water before it populates. All this on <50% filled. What the heck, have both of my DVR's started going bad? I have a hard time believing that...

Edited by JeffBowser, 13 November 2013 - 03:27 PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I blame it on the ObamaCare website  :soapbox:

I've been taking a hands-off, might leave, might not approach to my DirecTV subscription for awhile now. Hence, I have not paid a lot of attention to software updates or the latest complaints. Forgive me if this is old hat (and it is).

Over the least few weeks (months?) or so, both my HD DVRs (21 and 23) have been responding so slowly to remote commands that I have actually gone out and gotten new remotes, tried new batteries, and even shut all the effing lights off in the house. I have even gone so far as to get into the service menu and run HDD tests, and have found zero issues. Has there been software "improvements" lately that has destroyed the ability of these already slow machines to take timely remote commands?  I'm talking asking for a FF and getting it 10 seconds later. Asking it to stop FF and it refusing to do so, but running all the way to the end before it responds. Also things like pressing list and almost being able to run out for a glass of water before it populates. All this on <50% filled. What the heck, have both of my DVR's started going bad? I have a hard time believing that...

#3 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,646 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

When my HR23 became horribly sluggish sometime ago, it turned out to be the drive - I attached an eSATA and things were fine until the power supply died about year later.

Try attaching an eSATA and see if anything changes.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Try running the BIST "test"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

BIST? Basic Information Shaping Team?

Don "I've noticed my HR22-100s a near glacial in response these days but so far reliable with storage kept > 60 free" Bolton

Try running the BIST "test"

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

BIST? Basic Information Shaping Team?

Don "I've noticed my HR22-100s a near glacial in response these days but so far reliable with storage kept > 60 free" Bolton

Built In Self Test(s)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

But of course. I knew that but not the acronym

Don "not beaten into smoldering trash OK got it" Bolton

Built In Self Test(s)

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#8 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

My HR21-100 was doing the same thing.I ran all the utility test and everything came back fine within like 10 days my unit became so slow to commands and recorded content started to freeze during playback.I ran the utility test again and errors started to show instead of getting a refurb unit from Directv i changed out the internal drive to a 1TB drive.The only problem i see now is with channel changes,if i am on a channel for like 1 hour and try going to a previous channel or go into the guide to change channels it will take 10 sometimes 15 seconds for i guess the unit to find the right transformer.

Edited by onan38, 13 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

It is almost certainly HDD problems...no matter what the tests show...I have had several drives pass every HDD test connected to an HR, but hook them up to a pc and run some real tests, none of them passed.  There are really only a couple of things that can go bad on a dvr and not have it fail completely, PSU, and HDD are the 2 biggest and the HDD is probably the most likely in the case of slowness or sluggishness

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Have you done a reboot an as soon as it comes back up to live tv another reboot to clear out the guide data? Sometimes it needs it.

#11 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

I've done all the tricks. Service menu tests, multiple reboots, every trick known to dbstalk. Last night I pressed guide and counted off 8 seconds before the guide appeared. So I have two HDD's going bad. Hmmph. One of these IS a replacement unit, perhaps this is why it was returned, and now I'm dealing with it instead of the original owner. Appreciate the comments, guys!

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#12 OFFLINE   eweiner1

eweiner1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

I too have noticed that receivers are slow in responding to remote control commands. i called what passes for customer service at D*, complained about the latency delay and was told by one customer service rep that it took a while for the remote control signals to bounce off the satellites and be redirected back to the receiver I was trying to control. Needless to say, I asked for a supervisor and then suggested to that person that the previous representative might require a bit more training. i also suggested that subscribers be given the option of having a non-GUI interface. I remember when receivers were lightening fast before the introduction of the GUI interface way back when.

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,773 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

I too have noticed that receivers are slow in responding to remote control commands. i called what passes for customer service at D*, complained about the latency delay and was told by one customer service rep that it took a while for the remote control signals to bounce off the satellites and be redirected back to the receiver I was trying to control. Needless to say, I asked for a supervisor and then suggested to that person that the previous representative might require a bit more training. i also suggested that subscribers be given the option of having a non-GUI interface. I remember when receivers were lightening fast before the introduction of the GUI interface way back when.

"non-GUI"?  You mean do everything from a command prompt?  LOL

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

"non-GUI"? You mean do everything from a command prompt? LOL

C:/SHOWTIME/DEXTER>
(It removed my back slashes)
#)

Edited by DB Stalker, 16 November 2013 - 10:11 AM.

• sangs likes this

#)

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,012 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Guess all of our HR23's hard drives are bad, Got nothing to do with the fact its poor build quality. :sure:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

If your HRs have that problem, try flushing the Guide data by rebooting twice quickly.  That usually helps.  Having decent HRs also helps.  I have eleven 24s and a 20-700 and they are all very quick.  The Series 21 DVRs (that includes the 22s and the 23) are slow to begin with and don't get any faster over time.  They are obviously being phased out and hanging on to one and complaining about it makes little sense.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,773 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

C:/SHOWTIME/DEXTER> (It removed my back slashes) #)

I think you mean something more like 'sudo play /showtime/dexter/...'.  The DVRs don't run on Windows.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Guess all of our HR23's hard drives are bad, Got nothing to do with the fact its poor build quality. :sure:

Have you ever read the First Look for the 23?  I couldn't wait to get one and it lasted a week.  I really doubt it's the HDDs that are the problem.

Rich

• damondlt likes this

#19 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

If your HRs have that problem, try flushing the Guide data by rebooting twice quickly.  That usually helps.  Having decent HRs also helps.  I have eleven 24s and a 20-700 and they are all very quick.  The Series 21 DVRs (that includes the 22s and the 23) are slow to begin with and don't get any faster over time.  They are obviously being phased out and hanging on to one and complaining about it makes little sense.

Rich

Yet DTV continues to ship these older model as replacements or addition units.  My HR22-100 has gotten slower over the last month as well.  I was surprised when I received an older receiver. Seems these older refurbed models are not worth the headaches to customers or techs.  

#20 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

They are obviously being phased out and hanging on to one and complaining about it makes little sense.

Rich

C'mon. You know darn well you have no choice in what they send you. I'm not willing to go spend the money to buy one outright, and not many are.

spam firewall