Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A new slowness in DVR response?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

You need to call and complain about them then.  See if you they will upgrade you due to having 2 bad units.  The 23's are archaically slow.  Glacial, as Don mentioned.

• Rich likes this

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

I think you mean something more like 'sudo play /showtime/dexter/...'. The DVRs don't run on Windows.

I know they don't run on Windows. I was being silly.
Also, if every customer complained to dtv about the slowness of the hr22/23s, there word be a much better, faster, more sweeping resolution than complaining on internet forums will get you.

#)

#)

#23 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I left DirecTV over this very issue almost 2 years ago, and while there are reasons why I'd consider going back, The Hopper is not one of them. Truly, a DVR that was designed right from the get-go. Fast, responsive, reliable.

I miss the tennis multiplex, and the slightly lower PQ is a bit of a bother, but I have never regretted sending my HR22-100 back.

#24 OFFLINE   eweiner1

eweiner1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

"non-GUI"?  You mean do everything from a command prompt?  LOLI

It was before D* give their programmers boxes of crayons and told them to go nuts coloring everything in site. From my experiences, D* receivers do not have the horsepower to play nicely with the GUI that D* thought we had to have. And things are only going further south when the receivers sit on a command from a remote while processing 100 other things in the background before responding to a command from a remote. 

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Guess all of our HR23's hard drives are bad, Got nothing to do with the fact its poor build quality. :sure:

This was not the point of Jeff's post at all, he feels that both his 21 and 23 are slower than they used to be....it was suggested to him that he may have failing hardware....if you would like to start a thread bashing HR-23's, why not do it outside of this thread where most others are trying to be helpful.

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

Yet DTV continues to ship these older model as replacements or addition units.  My HR22-100 has gotten slower over the last month as well.  I was surprised when I received an older receiver. Seems these older refurbed models are not worth the headaches to customers or techs.  

When that happens, you simply must fight it.  Argue enough, politely and persistently, and you will win.  I always have.  If you don't get satisfaction from a CSR, escalate.  There are several levels that you can reach, the topmost being the Case Management Group.  If you argue enough you WILL be sent to Case Management and you WILL be satisfied.  

Above all, hold your temper in check, be patient and polite and you will be rewarded.  Since the advent of the 24s and their stabilization I have never failed to get a 24 for a replacement.  And, it seems that they actually do refurbish the 24s, something that I never saw any evidence of with the 21 Series DVRs.

Rich 

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

C'mon. You know darn well you have no choice in what they send you. I'm not willing to go spend the money to buy one outright, and not many are.

I know "darn well" how to get what I want.  Of course you have a choice.  I didn't get eleven 24s by not knowing how to do it.  

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

I know they don't run on Windows. I was being silly.
Also, if every customer complained to dtv about the slowness of the hr22/23s, there word be a much better, faster, more sweeping resolution than complaining on internet forums will get you.

#)

But, we can't reach everyone who subs to D*.  All we can do is try to get the word out.  I've turned many people on to this forum and they've become satisfied subs.  

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

It was before D* give their programmers boxes of crayons and told them to go nuts coloring everything in site. From my experiences, D* receivers do not have the horsepower to play nicely with the GUI that D* thought we had to have. And things are only going further south when the receivers sit on a command from a remote while processing 100 other things in the background before responding to a command from a remote. 

Could you tell us what DVRs you have?  The complete model numbers.  2X-XXX.  If all you have are 21 Series HRs you're gonna have problems.  The 24s are really quick.  I see no problems with mine when it comes to speed.  I know if all I had were 21 Series HRs I'd be complaining about them too.  Take a look at my posts, see when the last time I complained about an HR was.  I don't remember.  Not one of my 12 active HRs has a slowness problem.  Not one.  All I did was get rid of every 21 Series HR that I had. Yes, it's that simple.  And, one of my fast HRs is a 20-700 that I keep just because it works so well.

Rich 

#30 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I know "darn well" how to get what I want.  Of course you have a choice.  I didn't get eleven 24s by not knowing how to do it.  

:rotfl:   Same planet, different world. I'm considering doing away with TV altogether and you have 12 DVRs  :rotfl:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

:rotfl:   Same planet, different world. I'm considering doing away with TV altogether and you have 12 DVRs  :rotfl:

I'm trying to cut the cord, but my family won't let me.  When I watch TV by myself, I usually use Netflix.  You'd really have to understand how I feel about TV.  This is like a dream come true for me.  I can easily remember not having TV at all and I was bored. At this particular time in the evolution of television, I find myself enamored by Netflix.  

By the way, I took your post about not being prepared for Sandy to heart and am having a natural gas generator installed.  As much as your post annoyed me, I did take steps to better prepare my home and for that, I thank you.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'm trying to cut the cord, but my family won't let me.  When I watch TV by myself, I usually use Netflix.  You'd really have to understand how I feel about TV.  This is like a dream come true for me.  I can easily remember not having TV at all and I was bored. At this particular time in the evolution of television, I find myself enamored by Netflix.  

By the way, I took your post about not being prepared for Sandy to heart and am having a natural gas generator installed.  As much as your post annoyed me, I did take steps to better prepare my home and for that, I thank you.

Rich

Wow, I don't even remember, but I'm glad you are better prepared. Makes all the difference in the world, especially for kids and wives, if you have a little comfort.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#33 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

This was not the point of Jeff's post at all, he feels that both his 21 and 23 are slower than they used to be....it was suggested to him that he may have failing hardware....if you would like to start a thread bashing HR-23's, why not do it outside of this thread where most others are trying to be helpful.

Why act like the slowness has anything to do with Failing Equipment.

Instead of Backing Directv  every time, and misleading people in replacing their HR that are in fact SLOW to begin with. 

We just had a software update in October.  I would place my bet on an another software glitch causing the poor performance , then 2 failing Hard drives on 2 different receivers at the same time.

My HR 23 is going on 2 years old now, and at times its slow, and sometimes its even slower.

Guess I better call Directv and get it replaced with another one that's just as slow! :sure:

#34 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

I know if all I had were 21 Series HRs I'd be complaining about them too.

Yep.

And people are tired of hearing that its Faulty equipment every time, when in fact its Just a poor functioning set of receivers.

When my Hr23 really has malfunctioned, It will not be replaced by another 21,22,or 23.

#35 OFFLINE   DB Stalker

DB Stalker

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts
  • LocationTooele, UT

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yep.
And people are tired of hearing that its Faulty equipment every time, when in fact its Just a poor functioning set of receivers.

When my Hr23 really has malfunctioned, It will not be replaced by another 21,22,or 23.

Isn't that what everyone is telling you? They're slow receivers. There are some things you can do that MIGHT help. But I've never used one of those model boxes and considered them fast.

#)

#)

#36 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

When that happens, you simply must fight it.  Argue enough, politely and persistently, and you will win.  I always have.  If you don't get satisfaction from a CSR, escalate.  There are several levels that you can reach, the topmost being the Case Management Group.  If you argue enough you WILL be sent to Case Management and you WILL be satisfied.  

Above all, hold your temper in check, be patient and polite and you will be rewarded.  Since the advent of the 24s and their stabilization I have never failed to get a 24 for a replacement.  And, it seems that they actually do refurbish the 24s, something that I never saw any evidence of with the 21 Series DVRs.

Hmm.  When the day came when I'd had it with the HR22-100, I called DirecTV and did everything I knew how to do, even talking to customer retention.  To a one, they told me that they could not promise me any replacement model if I chose to get a replacement DVR, but that they could promise that I would be tied to a new 24-month commitment, even if the replacement receiver was every bit as horrid as the one I was replacing.  They even called me a week after I cancelled service to "do anything" to win me back.  But again, when faced with the choice of promising me an HR24 or losing me as a customer, they chose to lose me as a customer.

Fast forward to today and you still can't get a promise of a specific model.  Your choice is "advanced 2-tuner DVR" which could be any of the HR21-24 models, or "the Genie" which could be the slower HR34 or the faster HR44.

So what trick did you use that the rest of us don't know about that gets them to promise you something they consistently told me they couldn't?

#37 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,825 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

...So what trick did you use that the rest of us don't know about that gets them to promise you something they consistently told me they couldn't?

One option: if you talk to Case Management, they may arrange a credit to your account if you buy a HR24 (from someone like Solid Signal).  Yes, it involves a temporary outlay of $199, and the hassle of dealing with a third party, but it is one way to get what you want.

BTW, while the HR44 may be faster than the HR34 in some areas (like the speed of scrolling through the guide), the HR34 is a fine performer.  We have two HR21s, two HR24s, two H25s and a HR34, with a C41 client.  We would rank their overall speed of operation as follows (from fastest to slowest):

1) H25

2) Tie: HR34 and HR24

3) C41

4) HR21

There is a large gap between the C41 and the HR21s.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#38 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

(from fastest to slowest):

1) H25

2) Tie: HR34 and HR24

3) C41

4) HR21

There is a large gap between the C41 and the HR21s.

Agree !

Sometimes I think the HR34 is slightly faster then HR24. 

But not always.

I've used every DVR Directv has except HR44.

Here is my list Fastest to slowest of Equipment I've spent more then 6 months with.

This List of 6 Are Decent performers IMHO

1. H25-100
  2. HR34-700
  3. HR24-500
  4. D12-500
  5. H23-600
  6. HR20-700/R16-300 Tie

This List of Receivers should have just went right to the scrap yard!

1. HR22-100 I've had a ton of Hardware issues with these.  One of the main reasons I took a break from Directv. I feel HD PQ was soft as well compared to other HRs
  2. H20-600  Junk  constant box freeze ups, replaced several times in one year, But faster still then Hr21-23s
  3. HR21-700/ HR23-700 Tie  Just Plain old slow as balls to do anything !  
  4. R15-300 Don't get me started on this thing! Reminds me of Yugo Build quality.  Rattles and freezes, and half the time didn't respond to your commands for a few minutes after power up.
  5. RVU Samsung TV.  Why bother, No one wants to take the blame for the poor operation, and only expensive tv models even offer it. .Take the Extra money you were going to spend on your RVU tv and lease a client C31/41 Most likely it will save you more then $100, and I'm sure its a much better functioning system.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wow, I don't even remember, but I'm glad you are better prepared. Makes all the difference in the world, especially for kids and wives, if you have a little comfort.

Even after all this time, many people still are living without power and lots are unable to get back in our homes.  I don't think anyone was prepared for Sandy.  We were lucky and escaped with just a couple trees down. 

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,574 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hmm.  When the day came when I'd had it with the HR22-100, I called DirecTV and did everything I knew how to do, even talking to customer retention.  To a one, they told me that they could not promise me any replacement model if I chose to get a replacement DVR, but that they could promise that I would be tied to a new 24-month commitment, even if the replacement receiver was every bit as horrid as the one I was replacing.  They even called me a week after I cancelled service to "do anything" to win me back.  But again, when faced with the choice of promising me an HR24 or losing me as a customer, they chose to lose me as a customer.

Fast forward to today and you still can't get a promise of a specific model.  Your choice is "advanced 2-tuner DVR" which could be any of the HR21-24 models, or "the Genie" which could be the slower HR34 or the faster HR44.

So what trick did you use that the rest of us don't know about that gets them to promise you something they consistently told me they couldn't?

Been fighting with HRs since November of '06 and I've learned how to play the game.  Don't think of me as a D* basher, I like D* and, since 2008, I've been treated extremely well by them.

I won't go into any details on the open forum and I don't have the time to write a PM at the moment.  I WILL PM you and give you some tips.  Unfortunately, I WILL also probably forget to do that, so if you don't get a PM from me in the next couple days, please send me a PM and I will go into detail.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...