Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting DirecTV to add Signficiantly Viewed Stations

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Okay, I'm in Dodge County, MN.  I go to the FCC's web site and they state that WCCO and KSTP are considered significantly viewed in my market.  But DirecTV's list shows neither as being available.  Is there some contact at DirecTV, or are we completely at their mercy to decide if/when to ever add these stations to their lineup?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,196 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

We can't even get the To Do list put someplace where it's easily accessible, and you want to make D* add channels?  Lots of luck.

Rich

• TheRatPatrol likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Another person asked this question here earlier this year. Sounds like it comes down to different rules for cable and satellite providers.

http://www.dbstalk.c...stations-added/

#4 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

The bottom line is that Cable and Satellite operate on different rules.  My brother lives in Anderson County, KY, which is about half way between Lexington and Louisville, and he can get the stations from both markets OTA.  Anderson County is in the Lexington DMA, but the Louisville stations are significantly viewed (and in some cases have higher viewership than the Lexington stations).  The local cable company is able to provide the stations from both DMAs, but because Anderson County is in the Lexington DMA, and despite the fact that both the Lexington and Louisville stations are on DirecTV and the footprint of both spot beams cover Anderson County, DirecTV is only allowed to provide the Lexington stations.

#5 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

To sum up after perusing the other thread, the best method seems to be to contact the significantly viewed station and convince them to contact DirecTV.

The rules aren't the problem here.  DirecTV is allowed to carry WCCO and KSTP in Dodge County, MN because they are significantly viewed stations.  All it would take is a call from WCCO and KSTP.  Which tells me which end my homework is on.

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,817 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

To sum up after perusing the other thread, the best method seems to be to contact the significantly viewed station and convince them to contact DirecTV.

Yep, and they are going to tell you the have contracts with your LOCAL markets Networks forbidding them from entering their DMA.

Not as easy as people make you think it is.

For one , its not so much that Directv can't add them, but Directv has to want to , and the neighboring or sig. Channel has to agree with the terms and contracts that they most likely already have in place with your DMA.
Its not uncommon for your local ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX to want exclusive rights to your DMA, and most times they do and it won't change because it will cost the neighboring network money in a contract negotiation.
Something they wont pay.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#7 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Okay, I'm in Dodge County, MN.  I go to the FCC's web site and they state that WCCO and KSTP are considered significantly viewed in my market.  But DirecTV's list shows neither as being available.  Is there some contact at DirecTV, or are we completely at their mercy to decide if/when to ever add these stations to their lineup?

A good ota antenna and an AM21 should give you those stations. I don't know your situation but that would be the way to go if you want to receive those channels, unless your in an area that can't receive the stations with an antenna.

#8 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yep, and they are going to tell you the have contracts with your LOCAL markets Networks forbidding them from entering their DMA.

Not as easy as people make you think it is.

For one , its not so much that Directv can't add them, but Directv has to want to , and the neighboring or sig. Channel has to agree with the terms and contracts that they most likely already have in place with your DMA.
Its not uncommon for your local ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX to want exclusive rights to your DMA, and most times they do and it won't change because it will cost the neighboring network money in a contract negotiation.
Something they wont pay.

In order for there to be an actionable contract, remuneration has to be involved.  So you're telling me that KIMT pays money to WCCO so that DirecTV and Dish customers can't receive WCCO if they live in Dodge County, MN?  And while I can see where KIMT would benefit from such a contract, I can't see how WCCO would.  Especially since all the local cable companies carry WCCO.  I could see how the local cable company would benefit, and perhaps they might try to get such a clause in a contract, but that would be anti-competitive behavior and would likely result in some nasty letters from the Feds.

But DirecTV's web site is very deceptive with the following taken right from it: "DIRECTV now offers Neighboring Local Channels (also known as Significantly Viewed Channels) to many areas of the country."  I suppose one could drive a legal truck through the definition of "many."

When my antenna is pointed north, I do in fact get WCCO and KSTP most of the time.  However, I lose a few of the local channels I want, and the replacements are not reliable (breakups/loss of signal) enough for me to be happy with the antenna pointed north.  And a rotor is something I'm not willing to invest in, since the bulk of the consumer ones these days are trash.  But you can't blame me for wanting a free lunch, can you?

#9 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

In order for there to be an actionable contract, remuneration has to be involved.  So you're telling me that KIMT pays money to WCCO so that DirecTV and Dish customers can't receive WCCO if they live in Dodge County, MN?  And while I can see where KIMT would benefit from such a contract, I can't see how WCCO would.  Especially since all the local cable companies carry WCCO.  I could see how the local cable company would benefit, and perhaps they might try to get such a clause in a contract, but that would be anti-competitive behavior and would likely result in some nasty letters from the Feds.

But DirecTV's web site is very deceptive with the following taken right from it: "DIRECTV now offers Neighboring Local Channels (also known as Significantly Viewed Channels) to many areas of the country."  I suppose one could drive a legal truck through the definition of "many."

When my antenna is pointed north, I do in fact get WCCO and KSTP most of the time.  However, I lose a few of the local channels I want, and the replacements are not reliable (breakups/loss of signal) enough for me to be happy with the antenna pointed north.  And a rotor is something I'm not willing to invest in, since the bulk of the consumer ones these days are trash.  But you can't blame me for wanting a free lunch, can you?

You have to remember that DIRECTV has to pay for this channel.  Is this channel significant enough for DIRECTV to invest the money and bandwidth to broadcast this channel to you?  Maybe, maybe not...either way it's DIRECTV's call in this case.

#10 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

let me say this.. I am in a neighboring area.. we should be getting , Kaal, and all the Rochester stations, and probably most of the Minneapolis stations.. Ace cable.. ( which is one step above two tomato soup cans and a string) has either most if not all of these channels..and yet , you had a prominent  business man, who posts here, try and get these channels.. and fail.. and if this guy, who really knows people, couldn't get it done, I doubt, that anyone can.. unless you are JOSHJR.. trust me , I would love for D* to add these stations.. but I would love a million dollars, too, and I don't see either coming real soon.. there has to be a way.. I just don't have the time and the influence to get it done.. 

#11 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 954 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

just remember the whole state of Wisconsin gets the Minnesota feed of Foxsports north.. including Viking preview.. in a state where the GREEN BAY PACKERS outsell anybody and anything.. and probably have 50 times more followers per viewer then the Vikings do.. imagine living in either Milwaukee, Madison or Green Bay, and having to watch the VIKING MIDWEEK SHOW, because DIRECTV WON"T SPLIT THE CHANNEL.. why in the wide wide world of sports would you want to buy Directv , if you can't even get THE GREEN BAY PACKER mid week show? or the Brewer replays? and then your channel is SHUT OFF, because a TWINS GAME OR REPLAY is playing on the channel.. so now, instead of watching YOUR LOCAL TEAM, You don't even get the channel..  I doubt that Directv really cares about "significant viewing channels.. "..

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,288 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

In order for there to be an actionable contract, remuneration has to be involved.  So you're telling me that KIMT pays money to WCCO so that DirecTV and Dish customers can't receive WCCO if they live in Dodge County, MN?

I believe the theory is that KIMT is paying DirecTV and DISH money to keep WCCO off of the system. Or perhaps threatening to withhold KIMT from the entire market if the satellite provider carries WCCO.

The biggest problem with Significantly Viewed on satellite is the markets. The satellite carriers would have to create submarkets where certain Significantly Viewed channels were carried while the rest of the market would get only the regular affiliates. It is a lot simpler to have one set of locals per market.

In the cable world the markets are communities. Each system has its own channels and a Significantly Viewed station is treated in the law as if it were a local station in that community. With satellite Significantly Viewed were initially introduced in the distant stations section of the law and when the law was renewed they were moved to the local stations section of the law - but not with the full rights of a local station.

Satellite markets would need to become more granular to mirror what cable does ... and the laws need to change. The in market stations have an advantage ... even in areas where their OTA signal would never reach and a neighboring market station has OTA signal. It is something that I'd like to see fixed.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

In order for there to be an actionable contract, remuneration has to be involved.  So you're telling me that KIMT pays money to WCCO so that DirecTV and Dish customers can't receive WCCO if they live in Dodge County, MN?

No what I'm telling you is, the network that is not in your DMA, we'll call it Fox.  may have a contract with your local Fox, stating they can not broadcast their feed in your DMA and Vise Versa.  This is very common, and the only reason cable companies can get away with it sometimes, is because of grandfathered laws, and territories rights.

But Networks still get dropped and blacked out on cable very often too.

And yes if the Local Fox is allowing an out of market Fox in their DMA, you can bet your bottom dollar the out of market Fox is paying a fee.

Which is why most networks just sign the contract and they stay on their own sides. .

Directv is only aloud to offer you SV channels as long as they have the capacity , and all the legal contracts and agreements are already in order between DMA,s and Networks.

You can fight with directv until your blue in the face, But you should call the network you are requesting and they will tell you exactly what I just told you.

Directv can Also refuse you the channels, even if everything is in the right order, Based on satellites limitations and costs.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

, but that would be anti-competitive behavior and would likely result in some nasty letters from the Feds.

Um no, Congress made the rules. Not the networks.  One DMA does not have to permit any out of market network in their territory even if it is SV.

So you can blame them for allowing networks to fight with each other on who watches what in their DMA.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#15 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

Bottom line is if you want the channel bad enough you should go with the provider that has it. You getting a provider to carry a channel is not going to happen.

• damondlt likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Just curious, since the AM21 integrates into the program guide, why can you not use the locals DirecTv provides using satellite, and the neighboring market stations with the AM21?   Or are there some subchannels in your local market you lose that arent carried by DirecTv when aiming the antenna North?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

just remember the whole state of Wisconsin gets the Minnesota feed of Foxsports north.. including Viking preview.. in a state where the GREEN BAY PACKERS outsell anybody and anything.. and probably have 50 times more followers per viewer then the Vikings do.. imagine living in either Milwaukee, Madison or Green Bay, and having to watch the VIKING MIDWEEK SHOW, because DIRECTV WON"T SPLIT THE CHANNEL.. why in the wide wide world of sports would you want to buy Directv , if you can't even get THE GREEN BAY PACKER mid week show? or the Brewer replays? and then your channel is SHUT OFF, because a TWINS GAME OR REPLAY is playing on the channel.. so now, instead of watching YOUR LOCAL TEAM, You don't even get the channel..  I doubt that Directv really cares about "significant viewing channels.. "..

While everyone is entitled to their opinion you have a long history of complaining about DirecTV. If you're that unhappy with DirecTV  "why in the wide, wide world of sports" don't you switch to cable or DISH?

• Rich likes this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

While everyone is entitled to their opinion you have a long history of complaining about DirecTV. If you're that unhappy with DirecTV  "why in the wide, wide world of sports" don't you switch to cable or DISH?

DING..DING..DING..DING...we have a winner!

The advice a few posts above is the best.  Grab an AM21 and get any stations not in y our DMA that you  can pull in by antenna...

Edited by CCarncross, 15 November 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

DING..DING..DING..DING...we have a winner!

The advice a few posts above is the best. Grab an AM21 and get any stations not in y our DMA that you can pull in by antenna...

What is a AM21?

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Google is your friend.  as they say, a link is worth a thousand words.....

http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300063

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall