Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting DirecTV to add Signficiantly Viewed Stations

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

The bottom line is that Cable and Satellite operate on different rules.  My brother lives in Anderson County, KY, which is about half way between Lexington and Louisville, and he can get the stations from both markets OTA.  Anderson County is in the Lexington DMA, but the Louisville stations are significantly viewed (and in some cases have higher viewership than the Lexington stations).  The local cable company is able to provide the stations from both DMAs, but because Anderson County is in the Lexington DMA, and despite the fact that both the Lexington and Louisville stations are on DirecTV and the footprint of both spot beams cover Anderson County, DirecTV is only allowed to provide the Lexington stations.

Not true.  DirecTV can show any significantly viewed station they want.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Bottom line is if you want the channel bad enough you should go with the provider that has it. You getting a provider to carry a channel is not going to happen.

Did for me but I had to do the heavy lifting.  If someone wants the stations bad enough, they will at least make an attempt at getting it done.  In my situation, I would never have thought it would of happened either.  I live in a very small county that is served by two states I dont live in.  The Significantly Viewed stations are only able to be viewed in my county too which makes not much upside for DirecTV.  I dont know if it helped being in an orphin county but I was able to get 2 of the possible 3 and am still working on the 3rd.  The 3rd (FOX) previously stated it was against their contract with FOX but then also stated they were interested in finding a way to get it done since the other two in his same DMA (CBS & ABC) were able to get it done.  I can tell you it wont happen for sure if you dont try.  It takes someone who can explain it to a GM and let them know there are others out of their DMA that want to see their station.  If they want to make it happen, they will reach out to DirecTV and get it done if DirecTV is interested.  There was absolutely no reason for DirecTV to do it in my case but it got done for 2 stations.  If I can do it, I am confident others can do it as well.  I can tell you I dont just take no as an answer so easy.  If you want it, work for it and see if you can get it.  I am very confident there are many others in my county enjoying the fruit of my labor.  It wasnt just for me.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#23 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

Did for me but I had to do the heavy lifting.  If someone wants the stations bad enough, they will at least make an attempt at getting it done.  In my situation, I would never have thought it would of happened either.  I live in a very small county that is served by two states I dont live in.  The Significantly Viewed stations are only able to be viewed in my county too which makes not much upside for DirecTV.  I dont know if it helped being in an orphin county but I was able to get 2 of the possible 3 and am still working on the 3rd.  The 3rd (FOX) previously stated it was against their contract with FOX but then also stated they were interested in finding a way to get it done since the other two in his same DMA (CBS & ABC) were able to get it done.  I can tell you it wont happen for sure if you dont try.  It takes someone who can explain it to a GM and let them know there are others out of their DMA that want to see their station.  If they want to make it happen, they will reach out to DirecTV and get it done if DirecTV is interested.  There was absolutely no reason for DirecTV to do it in my case but it got done for 2 stations.  If I can do it, I am confident others can do it as well.  I can tell you I dont just take no as an answer so easy.  If you want it, work for it and see if you can get it.  I am very confident there are many others in my county enjoying the fruit of my labor.  It wasnt just for me.

That last line is interesting.  If I am understanding you correctly, your success in this means that those channels were added to everyone else in the county? Do they just appear in the Guide on everyone's rec'r? Do others in the county even know that the channels are available?  Most people set up their local channels once and never go back to see if there are new ones. Pretty neat thing you did.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#24 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

That last line is interesting.  If I am understanding you correctly, your success in this means that those channels were added to everyone else in the county? Do they just appear in the Guide on everyone's rec'r? Do others in the county even know that the channels are available?  Most people set up their local channels once and never go back to see if there are new ones. Pretty neat thing you did.

Yes they are in the guide for everyone in the county.  If you customize your guide then they wont be there.  Also ironically enough, I dont think DirecTV's website reflects that we have them either but I have seen them on others in my county.  It is a HUGE perk for everyone in Ottawa county.

Sony KDL-46HX800

spam firewall