Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Prepay Autopay Bill

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hello all. 

I was a DirecTV customer for 8 years and left them to Dish for a number of reasons and I'm extremely pleased with everything, especially the Hopper.

I was set up with AutoPay so that I could get the FreeHD and I really have no problems with it, however, my wife and I are teachers and we get paid once a month and like to take care of all the bills at the beginning of each month.  Our bill arrives around the 5th of each month, but it doesn't get paid until later when it's due. 

I understand that this is what normally happens, but what will happen if I start paying it earlier than the due date?  Will the autopay still deduct the billed amount even though the account balance amount is $0.00? 

I didn't have autopay on Directv, so I really don't know the ins and outs.  I searched, but all I could really find are issues about updating credit card info (thanks for that heads up).

Thanks for any info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Autopay will deduct the amount that is "owed" up to the amount that was billed on the payment date. Meaning if you owe less than the billed amount you will pay less, if you owe more than the billed amount you will only pay the amount on the bill.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

ricksterinps, I do the same as you would.  I don't like to have outstanding bills due and usually log into dish and pay around the 10th of each month.  Autopay doesn't kick in at all for me since I have a zero balance by the time they run their reports.

But autopay is also a nice safety net to have.  When I've been very busy and forgotten to send in a payment, autopay has taken care of that for me so I didn't get penalized.

#4 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

I don't know what the problem/concern is here.  The autopay just charges your credit card.  Depending on your the closing date for the card you use, you might not have to REALLY pay until many days later.  Instead of manually paying at the dish site, just let the cash sit in your checking account waiting to pay the credit card off when it is due.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Legend

• DISH Representative
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hello all. 

I was a DirecTV customer for 8 years and left them to Dish for a number of reasons and I'm extremely pleased with everything, especially the Hopper.

I was set up with AutoPay so that I could get the FreeHD and I really have no problems with it, however, my wife and I are teachers and we get paid once a month and like to take care of all the bills at the beginning of each month.  Our bill arrives around the 5th of each month, but it doesn't get paid until later when it's due. 

I understand that this is what normally happens, but what will happen if I start paying it earlier than the due date?  Will the autopay still deduct the billed amount even though the account balance amount is $0.00? 

I didn't have autopay on Directv, so I really don't know the ins and outs.  I searched, but all I could really find are issues about updating credit card info (thanks for that heads up).

Thanks for any info.

ricksterinps,

Like n0qcu was saying, whatever the balance is on the date we debit the card is what will be taken. There are customers that do have the same pay schedule as you do (once a month), and they will pay the balance owed at that time. If you have any further questions about this please let me know and I am happy to help you!

Thanks

#6 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

I don't know what the problem/concern is here.  The autopay just charges your credit card.  Depending on your the closing date for the card you use, you might not have to REALLY pay until many days later.  Instead of manually paying at the dish site, just let the cash sit in your checking account waiting to pay the credit card off when it is due.

... or autopay debits the checking account, which is how mine is set up.  I'm not recommending checking account vs credit card, but that's my preference, and it has worked fine for me.for 15 years and counting.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

I personally NEVER allow any company direct access to m,y money, they can charge my credit card, and ill have my bank send my credit card the money every month.  A mistake on a credit card charge means annoyances, but on a checking/debit card means your without your money till its fixed and annoyances..

#8 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

Additionally, with your credit card you can get points, miles or whatever to give you a 1-3% rebate on charges.

ALWAYS pay the total due on credit cards at the end of the month - free money with no interest!

I pay nearly all of my monthly bills via credit card and have gotten 2 PS3s, a Sony surround sound and a Sony DSLR camera with my points.

Other cards give cash rebates which is nice, too.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#9 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Right.  With credit cards you can pre-pay dish and other companies early and then delay on paying the card until the last minute.  This gives you a more accurate estimate of how much the credit card bill will be each month.  If you let companies charge you at their schedule, you have to look at the calendar and guess what the credit card bill will amount to.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well, maybe the first month or two, but once things settle in, if you have same charges each month they will be the same month to month..

#11 OFFLINE   ricksterinps

ricksterinps

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks for all the info and it all worked out just like you said.  I will be moving the payment to one of the credit cards so that I don't have to worry about it.  

There really is no reason for me to have the payment done at the beginning of the month, but it makes things easier for us to know what bills are paid and which aren't in case of an emergency, etc.  

Thanks again.

spam firewall