Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Who'd want to live in New Jersey?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Lots of people as these maps show.  And the reasons are many and somehow oddly strange...

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   eandras

eandras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

I think NJ is the perfect state to live in. What other states in the US you are able to in the city and an hour later at the beach or in the mountains. Nj jersey is the home to two NFL football teams in the same stadium. The quality of the schools and the college graduation rates is one of the highest in the country.

Ed

NJ and You Perfect together. That was the state motto for years.
"If to be right is to be different by all means be different"

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

I have fond memories of spending summer in Perth Amboy at one of my cousin house when I was a kid. As a kid from the South Bronx it was almost like another country to me.

#4 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Born in Jersey City, Elementary school in Jersey City, High School in Bayonne. Summers at the Jersey Shore. and college in Newark at NJIT.

#5 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

What other states in the US you are able to in the city and an hour later at the beach or in the mountains.

California

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994
My setup

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

Oregon & Washington.

You call them big foothills back there mountains eh? !devil12:

Don "of course one could argue our 'big' cities up here are mere cow towns in comparison" Bolton

I think NJ is the perfect state to live in. What other states in the US you are able to in the city and an hour later at the beach or in the mountains. Nj jersey is the home to two NFL football teams in the same stadium. The quality of the schools and the college graduation rates is one of the highest in the country.

Ed

NJ and You Perfect together. That was the state motto for years.

• Supramom2000 likes this

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's Taylor Ham.  I'll tell you where you can stick your pork roll.... ;)

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Chris Christie, 'nough said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Several years ago my sister that lived in Tampa, Fl was offered a job she could not refuse in NJ. She lived there one year and said she thought she was going to freeze to death. She moved back to Tampa the next year before the next winter was coming.

I would freeze there also from living 10 miles off the Gulf of Mexico coast for most of my life.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Several years ago my sister that lived in Tampa, Fl was offered a job she could not refuse in NJ. She lived there one year and said she thought she was going to freeze to death. She moved back to Tampa the next year before the next winter was coming.

I would freeze there also from living 10 miles off the Gulf of Mexico coast for most of my life.

I've spent a lot of time in Texas City, and I can see your point.  I do enjoy the seasons.  I don't think I could live on the Gulf, but that's just me.  If it wasn't for air conditioning, the Gulf would not be livable.  I think.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Washington and Oregon have 4 seasons, deserts, ski mountains, lakes, oceans and jungle like areas, all within a total of about 5 hours driving.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

I grew up in Philly and vacationed at the Jersey shore practically every summer.

I've been in California eight blocks from the beach since 1959 and visit the East Coast only in the spring and fall if at all possible. Jersey is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. And do they still have those "green-head flies" that sting at the beach during the day?

Yes, you can swim in the ocean and ski in the local mountains on the same day out here. Of course the ocean water is pretty cold!

• Rich likes this
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#13 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,513 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

I grew up in Corona del Mar, CA. so I know the weather with which you are blessed. I still find temps above 75 to be hot but tolerate the cold fine. Of course I surfed and body surfed a lot back in the day in that "cold" ocean. Might think it cold today but back then that water temp was normal to me.

Don "then I found paradise and moved up here" Bolton

I grew up in Philly and vacationed at the Jersey shore practically every summer.

I've been in California eight blocks from the beach since 1959 and visit the East Coast only in the spring and fall if at all possible. Jersey is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. And do they still have those "green-head flies" that sting at the beach during the day?

Yes, you can swim in the ocean and ski in the local mountains on the same day out here. Of course the ocean water is pretty cold!

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

Horse flies, they're called.  Haven't seen one in a long time.  Personally, I'm not a Jersey Shore fan, I'd rather go to Ocean City, MD.  

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Washington and Oregon have 4 seasons, deserts, ski mountains, lakes, oceans and jungle like areas, all within a total of about 5 hours driving.

Nothing in NJ is five hours away.  But the taxes!  Wow! Do we pay taxes.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've spent a lot of time in Texas City, and I can see your point.  I do enjoy the seasons.  I don't think I could live on the Gulf, but that's just me.  If it wasn't for air conditioning, the Gulf would not be livable.  I think.

Rich

Most True ! No AC and I would probably die from the heat.

Dang, can't win for losing. LOL Freeze or Heat to death.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Most True ! No AC and I would probably die from the heat.

Dang, can't win for losing. LOL Freeze or Heat to death.

If Hawaii didn't have all those volcanoes it would be a perfect place.  

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:44 AM

If Hawaii didn't have all those volcanoes it would be a perfect place.

Rich

Seriously? That effects one small area of the Big Island, the east side between Kona and Hilo. You do get some Vog occasionally, but it's not like lava flows through your back door if you don't live in the "rift zone" or anything, sheesh. ;)

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Director, Event Technology
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#19 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

If I could figure out how to make a living there- I'd move to the Big Island in a heartbeat - the volcanos are part of the attraction !

Heat - bah - 75 is just getting nice. I grew up in Kansas and have dealt with temps from below zero to over 110 in the course of a year.

And yes - NC can go from beaches to mountains in 5-6 hours too.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Seriously? That effects one small area of the Big Island, the east side between Kona and Hilo. You do get some Vog occasionally, but it's not like lava flows through your back door if you don't live in the "rift zone" or anything, sheesh. ;)

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Director, Event Technology

I've never been there, you'll have to excuse my ignorance.  

Rich

spam firewall