Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Turn off Tv power with 4-hour Reciever Energy Saving in Receiver

switch

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

So, sorry if I bring up an old subject..  But Is there a way , Converter?.. Etc, That I can make my Tv turn off when my hr22 goes into the 4 hour power saving mode?  I Have hr22-100 on SWM.. Thanks for the IDEAS!!

I Used to have it connected to a newer tv, that would also turn off with, " No Signal" But have been forced to add an older westinghouse, that does not turn off..  Just looking for suggestions..

Edited by majormax69, 15 November 2013 - 02:42 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

Alot of new power stips on the market will turn off dependant outlets when a device is connected to it's main outlet and powered off. This is your solution.

#3 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:15 AM

Thank you!!  That would be a perfect soulution.

Just want to be sure that the Power savings ( 4-hour) actually would trigger such an event for the dependant outlets..  Great Idea!!

Appreciate  any feedback from users that do this and it works well  for them before I try to figure ot the strip to purchase.  Thx Again!!

#4 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

All of my TVs even the oldest Magnavox from 2008.

turn off automatically after 20 minutes of inactivity.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

Alot of new power stips on the market will turn off dependant outlets when a device is connected to it's main outlet and powered off. This is your solution.

I don't think that this would work as the receiver is not actually off but rather standby, it still drawing current 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Unfortunately all a DirecTV DVR does when it turns off is shut down the video output and turn off the front panel lights.  It is still drawing enough power to run the background processes that it would never trigger one of those power strips

My Setup

#7 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

Did you Guys read his post?
No one said anything about using it for his Receiver.

He wants to plug his TV into one.
And those power strips have individual plugs for constant power and automatic shut off power.

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/B0006PUDQK

#8 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Did you Guys read his post?

He wants to plug his TV into one.
And those power strips have individual plugs for constant power and automatic shut off power.

Yes I did and how is he going to trigger the strip? He wants the TV to be turned off when the DVR goes into standby.  The DVR does not reduce its power draw enough in standby to trigger the strip

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,128 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

If they made a device that triggered off the HDMI signal like old RF modulators would switch based on a composite signal that could work

My Setup

#10 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

Yes I did and how is he going to trigger the strip? He wants the TV to be turned off when the DVR goes into standby.  The DVR does not reduce its power draw enough in standby to trigger the strip

YES IT WILL, The receiver cuts its Video output in Standby mode, the TV will shut off.

If what your stating was true , then TVs wouldn't automatically shut off either in standby mode , and they do!

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:53 AM

YES IT WILL, The receiver cuts its Video output in Standby mode, the TV will shut off.

If what your stating was true , then TVs wouldn't automatically shut off either in standby mode , and they do!

But THAT is the problem.  Some TVs shut off when there is no video detected, however the TS TV is NOT doing this. a power strip will shut off based on voltage not video

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

But THAT is the problem.  Some TVs shut off when there is no video detected, however the TS TV is NOT doing this. a power strip will shut off based on voltage not video

Because its too old! not because the HR22 is passing power through the Video connections.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Because its too old! not because the HR22 is passing power through the Video connections.

but the power strip does not switch based on VIDEO "current" rather it switches based on AC/DC current 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

but the power strip does not switch based on VIDEO "current" rather it switches based on AC/DC current

I'm not going to argue about it.

He must have a really old TV then!.

The receiver has nothing to do with why its not shutting off.

#15 OFFLINE   majormax69

majormax69

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

What a fun conversation...  Didn't mean to start an uproar..  But Ya, If the dependant outlets notiiced that  and  AC current draw DROP for for a few minutes, then breifiely drop ( Shut off the the dependant outlets), Just enough to shut the dependant, ( Tv) off,   Obviously, I would want the power to be there when I turnered on the DVR Receiver. again.. 

YIKES, I do not want to cut all the power to the receiver! because it takes 20 mininutes to boot up!! ( I hate that!!)

And Not to be be funny, but my only soulution so far is to plug the Tv into a X-10 or similiar remote control device, and point the motion detector at Grandma, and if she has not moved in 4 hours, turn off the TV! <grin>  But this is elaborate!!  <jk>

BTW, It is a 2008 42" Flat panel Westinghouse ( I cringe to say I paid $1500 for it back then!)

Edited by majormax69, 15 November 2013 - 08:53 AM.

• Laxguy likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,387 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

I like your solution!  About 40 years ago I made my Grandma a high tech solution - a switch on a cord that ran by her bedside that'd switch the TV off. Of course, she had to be awake to do so...

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'm not going to argue about it.

He must have a really old TV then!.

The receiver has nothing to do with why its not shutting off.

Wow!!!! Let's recap, shall we?

majormax69 used to have a TV that would turn off when no signal was detected by the TV.  That worked perfectly for him as his TV would turn off when his HD DVR went into standby mode.  However, he had to replace that TV with one that does NOT have that feature.  He asked if anyone had suggestions as to how to replicate that behavior, with the TV that he's currently using.

Yoda-DBSguy then suggested that he could try a "Smart" power strip, which cuts the power to controlled outlets when the component connected to the "master" outlet is turned off.

peds48 correctly pointed out that, when a Direct TV HD DVR goes into power saving mode (or standby), all it really does is, cut the output signals.  The amount of power used by the HD DVR is nearly identical to the power that is uses when it is turned on.  Therefore, it is very unlikely that using an HD DVR as the master component on a Smart Strip will ever cause the Smart Strip power saver mode to be triggered.

Then you showed up and complained that nobody had actually read the original post, when it appears that everybody who responded, except for yourself, did read and comprehend the original post.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 15 November 2013 - 01:04 PM.

• majormax69 and juniormaj like this

#18 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

And Not to be be funny, but my only soulution so far is to plug the Tv into a X-10 or similiar remote control device, and point the motion detector at Grandma, and if she has not moved in 4 hours, turn off the TV! <grin>  But this is elaborate!!  <jk>

Are you essentially looking to turn the TV off at night when grandma falls asleep or is this something that needs to work anytime during the day?  If it's for night, maybe you can just get one of those old school outlet timers that people use to turn house lights on and off when they are on vacation.  You can just shut power to the TV every night at 1am or 2am (or whatever time makes sense).  You should be able to turn the power back on. a couple minutes later, without the TV turning itself back on (you should probalby test that by pulling the plug on the TV while it's on and then plugging it back in a few minutes later).

#19 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:47 PM

majormax69 used to have a TV that would turn off when no signal was detected by the TV.  That worked perfectly for him as his TV would turn off when his HD DVR went into standby mode.  However, he had to replace that TV with one that does NOT have that feature.  He asked if anyone had suggestions as to how to replicate that behavior, with the TV that he's currently using.

Yoda-DBSguy then suggested that he could try a "Smart" power strip, which cuts the power to controlled outlets when the component connected to the "master" outlet is turned off.

Then you showed up and complained that nobody had actually read the original post, when it appears that everybody who responded, except for yourself, did read and comprehend the original post.

NO they kept talking about the HR's ok. Like the HR being hooked to the TV has anything to do with the TV shutting on or off, And it doesn't!

He wanted a solution for the TV and HR's have nothing to do with it.

#20 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

peds48 correctly pointed out that, when a Direct TV HD DVR goes into power saving mode (or standby), all it really does is, cut the output signals.  The amount of power used by the HD DVR is nearly identical to the power that is uses when it is turned on.  Therefore, it is very unlikely that using an HD DVR as the master component on a Smart Strip will ever cause the Smart Strip power saver mode to be triggered.

Plug the things into the right spots and they work just fine.

The Take Charge Smart Power Strip includes “Auto Power” sensing technology and it easy to set up. Simply plug a "master" device--most likely a PC or TV, into the red Control Outlet. This master device will then control the five Master-Controlled Outlets, which are suitable for those devices, like DVD players VCRs and game consoles that do not require constant round-the-clock power.

Cable/Satellite boxes, and DVRs, which need 24-hour power, should be plugged into one of the two Always On Outlets. Save Money and Conserve Energy while Protecting your Valuable Electronics.

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: switch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...