Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to add a reason to "Edit by" in modified post?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

We used to have an option to annotate why we edited a post.

Now I see an "Edit by" check box where we can make an edited by line appear or not, but I don't see how to put in a reason for the edit.

If you're editing an older post that already had a reason and you edit it again then the date will update and the old reason is retained, but again I don't see a way to modify the reason. 

I'm just missing something, right?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Not missing anything, but you just put it in the body of the text you're editing, perhaps at the very bottom or top.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Right, that can be done.

But if there was already a comment there in the Edit Reason line (probably from the other board software) then you can't change it.

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,655 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

And I think the choice of the edit line is only available to club members.

#5 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,070 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

And I think the choice of the edit line is only available to club members.

Just looked, I do not see that as an option to allow or disallow based on group.  

Steve...I do agree it is a nice thing to be able to add to a post when edited.  

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

The "reason for edit" line should show up below the post when editing. If it is not showing up, what skin are you using?

We do have a club member option that allows club members to edit posts without using the "reason for edit" line. There is a check box next to the "reason for edit" box that turns on or off the line.

This was activated when the site moved to the new software. The old forum software allowed posts to be edited within a few minutes without requiring a "reason for edit" line. The new forum software has no grace period ... so the option was given to Club Members to skip the line.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Using no skin that I'm aware of. 

I just found it strange that editing an old post updated the time stamp on the original comment, but you can't change the comment. 

spam firewall