Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Paper retracts 150 year old editorial

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

They originally called the Gettysburg Address "silly words", as we are approaching the 150th anniversary of the event, they issued a retraction.

http://www.pennlive....#incart_m-rpt-1

Though of course, at the time, the Gettysburg Address was the Edward Everett two hour oration. Lincoln's contribution was "dedicatory remarks"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

In Spanish there is a saying "Nunca es tarde si la dicha es buena" or better late than never.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 15 November 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

Long time ago, I ran the Gettysburg Address thru a grammar checker.  That speech Abe gave was rated at a 12th grade level.  Gotta be pretty smart to write/speak at that level.

Rich 

#4 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Long time ago, I ran the Gettysburg Address thru a grammar checker.  That speech Abe gave was rated at a 12th grade level.  Gotta be pretty smart to write/speak at that level.

Rich 

I expect "Four score and seven years" ago would go over the heads of a 12th grader today if he or she heard the speech for the first time.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'll give them a pass for having to look up score, as it's a word generally not used in that sense anymore.

One of my peeves in school was that we had to memorize it. Not that it's hard to memorize, but that were was more focus on rote memorization, not the meaning or why it has become one of the pinnacle speeches in American History.

It's like in Art History class. Sure the Mona Lisa is a nice painting, but what makes it as famous as it is, almost above all other art ever created?

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I expect "Four score and seven years" ago would go over the heads of a 12th grader today if he or she heard the speech for the first time.

Yup, I'll agree with that.  Kinda sad, isn't it?

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'll give them a pass for having to look up score, as it's a word generally not used in that sense anymore.

One of my peeves in school was that we had to memorize it. Not that it's hard to memorize, but that were was more focus on rote memorization, not the meaning or why it has become one of the pinnacle speeches in American History.

It's like in Art History class. Sure the Mona Lisa is a nice painting, but what makes it as famous as it is, almost above all other art ever created?

Carl Sagan would have agreed with you.  Took me quite awhile to figure out what it was about.  We had to memorize it too.  

The very idea of stating the objective of a lesson seems to be beyond most teachers.  When I was teaching, the first thing I did was introduce myself, tell the class what the objective of the day was and go on from there.  That doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

Rich

#8 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,214 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

My approach to public speaking, three parts:

- briefly tell 'em what I'm going to say

- say it

- briefly tell 'em what I said

If appropriate, my presentations were laced with humor - good for holding audience interest.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

The panning: "We pass over the silly remarks of the President. For the credit of the nation we are willing that the veil of oblivion shall be dropped over them, and that they shall be no more repeated or thought of."

President Lincoln himself said: "The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here."

I suppose they both were wrong. :)

In his eulogy of the president in 1965 Senator Charles Sumner said: "The world noted at once what he said, and will never cease to remember it. The battle itself was less important than the speech."
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,620 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

To lighten the mood, listen to Bob Newhart's bit on Abe Lincoln and the press agent. Dunno if it's on Youtube or not, as I got my copy long ago. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,752 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

They originally called the Gettysburg Address "silly words", as we are approaching the 150th anniversary of the event, they issued a retraction.

http://www.pennlive....#incart_m-rpt-1

Though of course, at the time, the Gettysburg Address was the Edward Everett two hour oration. Lincoln's contribution was "dedicatory remarks"

Now who's being silly?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

My approach to public speaking, three parts:

- briefly tell 'em what I'm going to say

- say it

- briefly tell 'em what I said

If appropriate, my presentations were laced with humor - good for holding audience interest.

Public speaking is a lot easier than teaching, I think.  Did a lot of both and I preferred speaking for an hour or so to spending 8 hours teaching.  But, you make good points.  I also encouraged arguments, I think people learn from arguments if they can be properly moderated.  I had to go to a 40 hour seminar to learn how to do that (moderate/facilitate) properly and be accredited.

Every seminar or class that was offered, I usually took.  Anything to get out of that hideous place I worked.

Rich  

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

The Ohio State University Marching Band incorporated the Gettysburg Address into their performance on Saturday.

http://www.dispatch....lftime-show.xml

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Impressive field mechanics!

["Hey, you, 48th from the left: You're not lined up right!"]

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Impressive field mechanics!

["Hey, you, 48th from the left: You're not lined up right!"]

I saw a feature on how they do it, there's an app for that. They take iPads out that tells them exactly where they need to go. They learn a show in about a week.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I remember doing that before the iPad. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#17 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:03 PM

Just thought of a new way to do things for a FB stadium: Have everyone with an iPad sit in Section 22 log in to a certain website, which will run a Flash or HTML5 series, the iPads subbing for the cards that used to be held up. You heard it here first! 

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

I remember doing that before the iPad. :)

Me too, but it took more than a week to learn the routine. And we didn't have as many different shows in a year, or as complicated. We didn't form a T-Rex walking down the field to eat a fan of our rival.

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,752 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

The Ohio State University Marching Band incorporated the Gettysburg Address into their performance on Saturday.

http://www.dispatch....lftime-show.xml

I use to like the watching the halftime shows on TV, but they are seldom shown now during the broadcast. They have ex-jocks analyzing everything, including the water pressure when everyone flushes.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

I use to like the watching the halftime shows on TV, but they are seldom shown now during the broadcast. They have ex-jocks analyzing everything, including the water pressure when everyone flushes.

Good thing we have Youtube. Generally at least OSU posts them on their channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spam firewall