Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DECA Network Speed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Apparently it is 100mbps which seems sort of slow in this day and age. I am using a DECA1MR0-01. Are there any faster DECA boxes that operate at 1Gbps? Thanks. (the only reason I even noticed this is I plugged the DECA into my new router which is showing an Amber light instead of white for the connection indicating the slower speed. I then had to look it up on the internet to make sure that was correct.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,070 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

No, they are all 100m just like the ports on the DVRs themselves.  There's really not a need for faster.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

the receivers do not even use half of that bandwidth, so going with anything faster is just a waste of money!  keep in mind that the "bottleneck" is on your internet connection when you are trying to stream, that is unless you have Google Fiber!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thanks. That makes sense. I think the real bottleneck though is on DirecTV's servers. It sure takes awhile to download things at certain times of the day - but that is a separate discussion.

• damondlt likes this

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks. That makes sense. I think the real bottleneck though is on DirecTV's servers. It sure takes awhile to download things at certain times of the day - but that is a separate discussion.

my point was that 100 Mbps is fast enough even if take into consideration that most users internet speeds are well below that. So having a "giga" DECA would not make things any faster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

Just to be clear. Typical full blu-ray bit rate (or bandwidth if you like--audio+video) can range, but is roughly 28-32Mb/s, depending on the video..animated are typically lower (can go to about 40Mb/s +/-, but i haven't seen any that high). For example, Monsters University is about 28Mb/s, while The Wolverine is about 35 Mb/s. As you know, the networks are definitely not streaming blu-ray anything..

By comparison, streaming HD video for 1080i is typically in the 3-8Mb/s range (720p typically lower). Check any iTunes video bitrate for specs. This is done with H.264 compression, which gives a high quality picture quality at 1/2 to 1/10 the original blu-ray bit rate. Oddly enough, blu-ray video is already compressed..otherwise discs would hold 300-400Gb. Anyway, this compression is pretty amazing and we barely know the difference.

To put it simply, the DECA bandwidth pipe can stream many HD videos with plenty of room to spare :D

-=K=-

Protected By... spam firewall...And...