Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Hopper, transfer PTAT shows to an external HD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

I just received a new Hopper w/ sling to replace my old Hopper and I'm trying to copy over all of our recordings using an external HD. I can move all the recordings over except the ones currently in the PTAT buffer (prime time shows we have a timer for but that are still from the last 8 days). Those shows do not show up in the menu for moving shows to the external HD.

How can I copy over PTAT shows that I have a timer for to the external HD?

I was wondering if I change the PTAT "keep" setting to 1 or 0 (not sure 0 is possible) days if it might move shows over to my side of the HD so I can move them but I'm worried it might just erase them and we don't want to lose those shows.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Another thought:  If I activate the new Hopper, do I lose the ability to play PTAT shows off the old Hopper?

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

In order to move something off the DVR that was recorded during PTAT... I believe you have to "save" (keep) it AND wait the full 8 days for it to roll off the PTAT menu.  Until that happens, it is not an independent recording that can be archived.

If you deactivate a receiver, I think you will lose the ability to access DVR recordings on it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well I can confirm that deactivating the receiver doesn't shut you out.  I can still watch shows on the DVR (I did unplug everything before deactivation though).  I heard from someone that lowering the PTAT buffer from 8 days to 2 days works... but the stupid Hopper says that since it doesn't have guide data anymore I can't even access the PTAT settings page.  So who knows if the 8 day expiration will even be checked anymore.  I guess Dish isn't getting my old Hopper back anytime soon...

#5 OFFLINE   productofusa

productofusa

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Well I can confirm that deactivating the receiver doesn't shut you out.  I can still watch shows on the DVR (I did unplug everything before deactivation though).  I heard from someone that lowering the PTAT buffer from 8 days to 2 days works... but the stupid Hopper says that since it doesn't have guide data anymore I can't even access the PTAT settings page.  So who knows if the 8 day expiration will even be checked anymore.  I guess Dish isn't getting my old Hopper back anytime soon...

When you do eventually send it back be sure to keep your shipping receipt, (maybe you do anyway) as I just got an email from dish saying they had deducted $400 from my bank account for failure to return a broken hopper from like 6 or 8 weeks ago.
The whole experience I had with dish having to do with said hopper was less than stellar, so for some reason I did keep the shipping receipt (I usually don't, im dumb that way lol), I'm sure I could have sorted things out with out the paper reciept but it certainly made things easier! Heads up my friend!

spam firewall