Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Clients 0x0734/0x0735, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Something got messed up with scaling/native in this release. My C41 is hooked to a 1080p Sony LCD, has been since installation in May. The C41 has been set to "native" with all resolutions checked. This weekend watched a FOX (720p) show from recordings and it was "zoomed out" with a black border all around. I figured the local station could have done that by themselves but fiddling around after the recording ended, any live 720p broadcast was doing the same thing. Definitely a new behavior. Set to non-native, 1080i/p only and things are back to "normal"ish.

I started a thread about a similar bug where I was watching a 1080p 24hz PPV movie and then when I go back to 1080i broadcast HD it gets stuck at 24hz so its "jerky".  I reboot then it gets stuck at 480p @ 60hz.  Which could be similar to what you are seeing (since 480p would have black border all around).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Whenever I go back to live TV after watching a recording, there is no sound. I have to change channels a few times to get the sound to come back on.

#23 OFFLINE   pabdaddy1995

pabdaddy1995

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

I just received a new Client to see if it was a hardware issue with my two previous Mini Clients and it does the exact same thing.

1080p/24hz (Movie)-> 1080i/24hz (Broadcast HD),  reboot, stuck at 480p/60hz.

But in addition to that, the Mini Client also had some menus in english and some in spanish!  I had to actually toggle the Display->Language to Espanol and then back to English to get it to recover.

#24 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I thought that I would see if 0x0735 code would fix my connection problem on my C41W.

I Used RBR holding down the RBR to get back to survey mode. When It came up I put the HR44 in "add a client" mode and got the new code when I selected the HR44.

I put remote back in RF mode and setup video mode to be correct. I have been running about five mins now and no video bridge disconnects message. It has not done that in a long long time. :righton: :righton: I will run the C41W today to see how it works.

I spoke too soon. It ran for about one hour and then I turned it off. When I turned back on it is the same as before, lost wireless connection.

The only difference now is that it will run  for a couple of mins and then lose the wireless connection. However it is now possible to put it back in SURVEY mode. At least now I do not have to use the long RBR to get back to survey mode. It still won't say connected for very long.

#25 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

My C31-700 paired to an HR44 finally got 734 last night. HISTORY shows a client software download at 3:31AM ET. Prior to that, the box was on 717.

Box appears to be a little snappier and "keep/delete" is back at the end of recording playback. Prior to that, playback would just stay paused on the last frame of the recording until I did something.

/steve

#26 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:29 PM

Anyone finding the Client (C-31) is slow to provide a picture once it is turned on? This only happens after it’s been off for 8 or so hours. I’m not referring to it going into the 4-hour standby I have the system set to, but when I come upstairs after using the Genie (HR-44) and turn on the Client and it just sits there with a blank screen for anywhere from 15 seconds to over a minute. I hit the select button but that doesn’t seem to move it along.

Also, is there a way to make the FF faster like you can do with the 30-second skip? The +4 is extremely slow. When I was with Dish, their 722 FF was light years faster than the Genie. I also don’t like that unlike the Genie, the Client doesn’t show your location when you are fast-forwarding. 

Edited by Aliens, 04 December 2013 - 01:29 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hmmm. My FF 4x is usually so fast that I don't use it. At the same time, if I have a long way to go, I use skip to tick: hit ff once, then the 30skip button. It'll take you to the next tick, another push within a short time will go to next one. I know 30 skip doesn't show progress bar, but I thought FF does. (I'll check a bit later.)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hmmm. My FF 4x is usually so fast that I don't use it. At the same time, if I have a long way to go, I use skip to tick: hit ff once, then the 30skip button. It'll take you to the next tick, another push within a short time will go to next one. I know 30 skip doesn't show progress bar, but I thought FF does. (I'll check a bit later.)

I'll try those tonight. Thanks.

I experimented with the FF last night. I held the FF button down and it jumped ahead 30 minutes. My 4x takes 35 seconds to FF through a 1-hour show. IIRC, my 722 took 10 seconds. Regarding the lack of FF indicator, I'm only referring to the Client, not the Genie.

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

My client shows the Progress bar on FF, but not on 30 skip.

I think you'll like the skip to tick method I outlined. Faster. 

#30 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

My client shows the Progress bar on FF, but not on 30 skip.

That is interesting, I wonder why mine doesn't. Do you have the C-31 or the C-41?

My bad. I just checked and the FF does show, not the skip.

Edited by Aliens, 05 December 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

I tried the tick method and love it. Previously I said depressing the FF key forwarded 30 minutes; its actually 15 minutes. Your method is much better. Great for those sporting events. Thanks again. 

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Most welcome! You might be surprised at the number of folks who won't even try a method that is different from what they've always used. 

#33 OFFLINE   CeeBee

CeeBee

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

We haven't had a problem with the Genie clients in the 6 months we've had this setup.  We used both clients very early this AM with no problems.  About 8 AM, I turned one back on, and got the "no servers detected" message.  The other client was still in use.  I turned it off, and back on, to test.  It stopped working, too.

I thought a Genie red button reset might fix it, but didn't want to stop a recording.  Just did the RBR.  Both clients are now working.

I think this is connected to the freezing and pixilation issues some Genies have experienced.  I have had both issues at times since the software download on 12/4.  A reset usually stops the problems for a while, but it seems as if the problem comes back, or a new problem crops up, in a matter of days.

I plan to call DirecTV later this AM to complain about the ongoing problems just to have it documented in their records.

#34 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

I have a C31-700 with 0x734 hooked to an HR34 Genie. I am having freeze problems with recording and live. Is this a client or Genie problem? I had two recordings fail to get past the first minute of the recording without freezing up and refusing to go forward. I couldn't even advance to the next hash mark. One of the recodings was the KC/Indianapolis NFL playoff game this morning. I had to delete the recording and go to live. Even then it would freeze every minute or so and I could only solve the problem by channeling up one and then back. And then wait a minute till it happened again.

However, after the game was over(watching live) I went to my recording list and played the 2nd playoff game, Eagles/Saints, and so far have had no problem. Why do it on one recording and not the next? Same CBS channel. Only out of norm circumstance is that 1st recording had the added 30 minutes record time and as the result there was some overlap in the recordings. So far I'm 26 minutes into the 2nd recording and no freezes.

Don't know if this helps.

#35 OFFLINE   rweiss21

rweiss21

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

We haven't had a problem with the Genie clients in the 6 months we've had this setup. We used both clients very early this AM with no problems. About 8 AM, I turned one back on, and got the "no servers detected" message. The other client was still in use. I turned it off, and back on, to test. It stopped working, too.

I thought a Genie red button reset might fix it, but didn't want to stop a recording. Just did the RBR. Both clients are now working.

I think this is connected to the freezing and pixilation issues some Genies have experienced. I have had both issues at times since the software download on 12/4. A reset usually stops the problems for a while, but it seems as if the problem comes back, or a new problem crops up, in a matter of days.

I plan to call DirecTV later this AM to complain about the ongoing problems just to have it documented in their records.

I am having the same issue. It have had the Genie and 2 clients for about 3 months with no issue. However, about 4 days ago both clients had the "no servers detected" error and restarting the Genie DVR resolved it. Unfortunately, this issue is now occurring every day, in fact it happens every day I wake up and again when I get home from work. I assume that this is a bad software update? Is anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#36 OFFLINE   sts7049

sts7049

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

i have the exact same setup.software versions.  having the same problem on the client TV in the bedroom.  i just tried the two-reboots in 30 min to see if this helps or not.

#37 OFFLINE   Shockee

Shockee

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

The DirecTV installers are coming by my house on Friday to install the latest Genie receiver and two genie clients (one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen).  The TV in the kitchen has rca audio imputs and component connectors and not HDMI.  Will I run into an issue with this when the installer goes to work? 

#38 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

The DirecTV installers are coming by my house on Friday to install the latest Genie receiver and two genie clients (one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen).  The TV in the kitchen has rca audio imputs and component connectors and not HDMI.  Will I run into an issue with this when the installer goes to work?

The installer should have the adapter cable(s) that can connect a client via either component or composite video.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

Nope, you should be OK.  a tip, if the TV is not HD I will use composite instead of component 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#40 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Nope, you should be OK.  a tip, if the TV is not HD I will use composite instead of component 

Why?  Component gives a better picture, I would always recommend component over composite if the connection is available.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...