Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie Clients 0x0734/0x0735, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Why?  Component gives a better picture, I would always recommend component over composite if the connection is available.

while component "may" give a better picture (smaller TV will makes no difference), if the TV is not HD, and if the user chooses an HD resolution by "mistake" you get either an error message or distorted lines on the TV.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

I disagree.  Using component cables on a SD TV gives a much better picture than using composite video, regardless of the size, especially if you set it to watch the HD channels downscaled.  Disable all resolutions but 480i (or 480p if the TV accepts it) and turn off native and you will have a great picture.  Set the receiver to crop or letterbox the HD channels according to the persons preference.  If native is off and only one resolution is checked in the menu, they should have no problems with not getting a picture unless someone goes in and messes with those settings (I do wish that DirecTV would allow parental controls to lock the settings, not just the TV show/movie ratings).

Edited by Beerstalker, 27 February 2014 - 11:22 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#43 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

I disagree.  

we have to agree to disagree.  here is a thread form the "other" forums dealing with this issue, about the same time this one started.

http://forums.direct...thread/11255512

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#44 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

So because a few people screw up when trying to use it, that means it is a bad idea to use it?

I understand you are an installer, and you don't want customers calling in and complaining when they screw something up and it ends up costing you money, but to say that it isn't better quality, and it shouldn't be used is just wrong.

I guess since some TVs don't accept 1080p24 over HDMI you should just stop using HDMI?

Edited by Beerstalker, 27 February 2014 - 01:02 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

So because a few people screw up when trying to use it, that means it is a bad idea to use it?

I understand you are an installer, and you don't want customers calling in and complaining when they screw something up and it ends up costing you money, but to say that it isn't better quality, and it shouldn't be used is just wrong.

I guess since some TVs don't accept 1080p24 over HDMI you should just stop using HDMI?

any gain on quality is very minor when dealing with SD.  You are making it seem as if using component over composite for SD is the same as SD vs HD which is not  :nono2:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I agree it is not as big as SD vs HD, but it is a pretty big difference.  It's more like back in the analog cable days comparing cable to DVD, DVD looked much better.  And like I said you can set the receivers to tune to the HD channels and have them downscaled to SD and they look great (since DirecTV downscales their SD channels to 480 x 480 or whatever it is, and then compresses the heck out of them).

Heck I use S-Video instead of composite on my older SD TVs at my house and at my parents house because I can see a difference in quality between it and composite.

The whole reason they started adding component video outputs and inputs on SD TVs and on DVD players was because it did provide a better quality picture than composite or S-Video.

-by Jack Handy

#47 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

It probably depends on the display electronics. E.g., I still have a Sony 27" Wega CRT with both component and composite inputs, and except for a slight (beneficial) increase in contrast, component really doesn't look that much different than composite at normal viewing distance.

/steve

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

any gain on quality is very minor when dealing with SD.  You are making it seem as if using component over composite for SD is the same as SD vs HD which is not  :nono2:

well, component definitely offers the ability to have a higher resolution (composite does not offer full resolution of 480i signals in general) and can have much much better color depth.  But as Steve says, it will also depend on the tv and the channel you are watching.

Id always go the best possible connection.  Otherwise, you are short changing someone, even if its only very minor.

#49 OFFLINE   Shockee

Shockee

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

I didn't realize I had started such a debate!  Anyway, this is a small Sharp LCD TV (13-inches) that we had on a pedestal which we mounted to the wall in our kitchen when we remodled it.  At the time we had Time Warner cable and that is what it was connected to (just using a coax connection - the coax cable was routed from outside of the house directly through the wall into the kitchen).  Horrible picture.  I honestly forgot what types of connections were available on the set until I re-checked it and found the component connectors.  I couldn't even remember if this was an SD or HD set!  So I'm going to connect it to a Genie client and see what happens. 

I usually watch the DTV installers carefully because they do make mistakes.  When we went to whole-home DVR they connected a small box (pre-Genie) to an old Sony WEGA HDTV in a back bedroom via a composite connector, not realizing the set was HD and used component connectors.  Didn't catch it until after the installer left but all was worked out later on.

#50 OFFLINE   Shockee

Shockee

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Well, the installer has come and gone and I now have the Genie DVR set up with a couple of clients.  In regards to my aged Sharp LCD TV in the kitchen, we tried the component connections and it just didn't work out as the aspect ratio of the picture was squished.  This TV/Monitor doesn't really support 720P or 1080i.  It's a an older 1024x768 monitor. The installer used a second set of cables (rca and composite) from his truck to connect the Genie client to this TV. Not an entirely satisfactory situation, but at least it looks "okay."

With the HR44 Genie installed and and running I really like the speed of the unit and, obviously, the recording capacity.  After about 5 or 6hours of operation there is no Pandora or YouTube showing in the Extras menu but I believe that takes a few days to populate.  i am guessing the same is true for the Genie recommendations feature ("TV Shows").  It just says it is updating and to check back in an hour.  Also, when I tried to select some on-demand programming I just got the DTV logo in the middle of the screen and no programming.  Would like to hear if these are common complaints so soon after an installation.  And, yes, the receiver says it is connected to the internet.  I know this because I can get the Apps menu to come up.

Thanks.

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

The component issue was likely a setting issue between the tv and the box.  You may want to try again after you are sure you have the latest software on it as well.

The res you mentioned is actually what almost all 720p tvs where built to spec wise for many many years.

Do you see any posters populating at least the top four slots of My directv?  Even if they are just blank posters?  If not you may need to do a rbr or even a guide data flush if you don't have some by tomorrow.

#52 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

well, component definitely offers the ability to have a higher resolution 

Correct, assuming the TV supports it, and up to this point we did not know what it supported.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

Correct, assuming the TV supports it, and up to this point we did not know what it supported.

well, true, although it should also always provide better color and less artifacting, if the tv accepts 480 component in in the first place.  But as with everything, so much depends on what tv it is too.

#54 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

So whats the deal with the ffwd hang? Mine has had it forever and Directv seems to not have any interest in fixing it. It's random, but when fast forwarding thru some commercials it just hangs, I have to hit play, finish watching that commercial, then start ffwding again.

Not really helpful to have a whole home dvr that forces me to watch a commercial...

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#55 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

Are they ever going to fix the problem of the sound going out when you go back to live TV after watching a recording?

#56 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

I see the ffw'd hang on roughly the same commercials, but different shows and nights. That is very odd. I was sitting there last night watching something and said to myself "this is one of the commercials it usually locks on and makes me hit play and watch the commercial", and sure enough it did. 

Very very annoying. Paranoid side of me would say it is a new way to make me watch commercials, but it NEVER happens on the HR44. Just the client...

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#57 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,148 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

0x0749 Issues/Discussion thread is now open: http://www.dbstalk.c...suesdiscussion/

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

Protected By... spam firewall...And...