Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TERRIBLE service, I am DONE with DirecTV

customer service

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

1st CSR - I called DTV about 3 weeks ago to take off HBO and do some other account maintenance.  The CSR told me that I was eligible for a FREE Genie upgrade, I've been a customer for about 11 years now.  I said sure, I'd take it... I've wanted the Genie for a while now.  She does some bumbling around and after waiting for about 10 minutes, she says that she doesn't see the promotion in my account anymore.  I get irritated and ask to talk to her supervisor.  She starts typing and I guess the sup's don't get on the phone anymore, they just "chat" with the CSRs through IM or whatever, because she was just telling me what her sup was saying.  I just hang up on her.  Enough BS.

2nd CSR - I call back and get someone else who looks into my account, and says the previous CSR was actually looking at the free Genie MINI, not the main Genie box.  The Genie would be $300 to upgrade.  I say that's ridiculous, I've been a customer for over a decade now and I'm still using the old 2-tuner DVR.  After trying to haggle with this moron, she says there's NOTHING they can do for a 10+ year customer... even though I NEVER ask for any free deals or anything.  She says "maybe call back and see if there's a promotional deal in the future"... so I hang up.

3rd CSR - I call back again the next weekend for a completely different question, and the CSR tells me "You might be eligible for a Genie upgrade"... same old B.S. again... I tell her my story and she says YES it's the FULL GENIE but I'd have to call a number for the Connected Communities line, since I'm in a condo complex.

4th CSR - I call the CC line 800-268-xxxx (can't remember) and THIS IDIOT SAYS THERE IS NO FREE GENIE and I'd have to pay full price.  Jesus f'ing Christ... enough of this Bull!!  After getting pissed and starting to cuss, I request a supervisor.  I wait about 6-10 minutes and finally get a supervisor.  After telling them my story and all this back-and-forth LIES of theirs, they offer me the Genie at $99 with free installation.  I give in and say fine, set up the appointment.  So we set the app't for TODAY, between 12-4. 

This week - I've been getting the usual app't confirmation emails and phone calls, up until an hour before my app't. 

Today - 5th CSR - I'm playing league football today with games at 10 and 11... so I have to leave my 2nd game early just to get home.  I rush home, shower... and sit here.  I wait until about 2 PM, no call, no nothing.  I call DTV and they give me the number for the installation services.  I call that number, she says they'll contact the installers and give me a call back in 15-20 minutes.  40 minutes later, NO CALL.  I call them back around 3 PM.  The CSR says that I have 'NO APPOINTMENT IN THE QUEUE'.  Are you f'ng kidding me?!??? 

I ask her how the HELL an appointment just gets "LOST" and she says she doesn't know.  But there's NOTHING she can do, supposedly.  I start yelling and telling her I've been sitting here for 3+ hours waiting for them now to find out my app't was just canceled/lost in the shuffle.  Again, "there's nothing I can do but request a new app't".  I tell her to get me to a supervisor IMMEDIATELY or I'm canceling.  I wait for a few, then the supervisor gets on.  He was BY FAR the worst person I've talked to in this whole thing.  He says there's NOTHING they can do... I said I've been sitting here for now 3-and-a-half hours, and demand a FREE Genie after all, and refund my $99.  I tell him that I've been sitting here all day waiting, when I had errands I needed to do... and I ask him if my TIME is worth NOTHING to them.  He says all this B.S. about how they can't refund anything.  He says MAYBE they can get a tech out here today, if not... then it's NEXT friday.  I tell him that's unacceptable, I had already cleared off my recordings off this DVR and it was THEIR fault they "lost" my appointment.  He says they'll contact the installers and call me back.

6th CSR - I wait again for about 30 minutes... it's getting close to 4:30 now.  I get a call back and they said they have NO installations for today or tomorrow, and I'll have to wait ANOTHER week.  We go back and forth again on what's going on, and if I can get my DAMN MONEY BACK and cancel my service, and she says I need to contact customer service.  I thought I WAS talking to customer service?!??

In closing, this company spews out LIES because one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.  Multiple CSRs don't know WHAT the hell they're doing, and everything just says "there's nothing I can do about this"...  F*CK THIS COMPANY, I'm going to Fios.

• cheech13269 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

Have Fun with Fios Billing!!

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#3 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

What's wrong with Fios?  I know the pricing is only for the first 12-mo or whatever... even after their promotional pricing expires, it's still LESS than what I'm paying for DTV and internet combined.

#4 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,994 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

Here's a recent thread of Wilbur The Goose's that gives his pros and cons of both. Some things of course are relative. I think Bill Sharpe has had FIOS billing issues.

http://www.dbstalk.c...g-vz-fios-to-d/

I've heard a lot of various stories about MDU's which is probably part of the issue, but there are other things that don't make sense, like being told that it was only a client, which your setup can't even use, that would be free.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Of course you can always try the virtual "911" for customer service issues like this before you give up on the service ...

Contact the President of DIRECTV operations; 

E-mail: ellen.filipiak@directv.com

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Sounds like you are in a mdu. If you are you must go through then which is why dtv ah all kinds of issues. I hope you called them (as it sounds like you did to set the appt in the first place) about today's missed appt and not DIRECTV because DIRECTV wouldn't have a clue about it. The mdu would.

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,075 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Also;

Been with DIRECTV since '95 and all my upgrades have come through the Retention Dept., never the front line CSRs or their supervisors.

I only use them for billing issues and programming discounts.

But as others have noted, if you are in an MDU, this could be the problem you're having with DIRECTV CS, as you must work through the organization which actually handles the system installed in your complex 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

1st CSR - I called DTV about 3 weeks ago to take off HBO and do some other account maintenance.  The CSR told me that I was eligible for a FREE Genie upgrade, I've been a customer for about 11 years now.  I said sure, I'd take it... I've wanted the Genie for a while now.  She does some bumbling around and after waiting for about 10 minutes, she says that she doesn't see the promotion in my account anymore.  I get irritated and ask to talk to her supervisor.  

That's where I stopped. 

Good bye!

• RunnerFL likes this
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,937 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Sorry to hear of your hassles. I truly hope you enjoy whatever service you end up with.

It does sound like you are in an MDU situation which certainly does complicate matters. Still, the CSR should have been able to determine that immediately and tell you to call the proper place for service.

#10 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Connected communities is slightly different than MDU, since DirecTV takes charge of Connected Communities..not sure what the trouble could be, except ineptitude or perhaps system issues.

Venting here won't do you any good. There is a place where your voice will be heard..the DirecTV's Office of the President..see the link below..

http://www.directv.c...ssetId=P4960016

Good luck!

-=K=-

#11 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Cool I sent a similar email to the President, a little toned down and shortened (they only have a max of like 2000 characters)

#12 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

I don't know if it applies with MDUs, but for the general public all you have to do is cancel service for a week and they'll be offering you the new customer discount to come back.  I'm still getting emails from DirecTV that say, "Come back.  We'll make it right."  Free Genie, 36 months of programming discounts ($31 first year, $10 months 13-36.)  And it's been over 18 months.

#13 OFFLINE   cheech13269

cheech13269

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe Springs, California

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

1st CSR - I called DTV about 3 weeks ago to take off HBO and do some other account maintenance.  The CSR told me that I was eligible for a FREE Genie upgrade, I've been a customer for about 11 years now.  I said sure, I'd take it... I've wanted the Genie for a while now.  She does some bumbling around and after waiting for about 10 minutes, she says that she doesn't see the promotion in my account anymore.  I get irritated and ask to talk to her supervisor.  She starts typing and I guess the sup's don't get on the phone anymore, they just "chat" with the CSRs through IM or whatever, because she was just telling me what her sup was saying.  I just hang up on her.  Enough BS.

2nd CSR - I call back and get someone else who looks into my account, and says the previous CSR was actually looking at the free Genie MINI, not the main Genie box.  The Genie would be $300 to upgrade.  I say that's ridiculous, I've been a customer for over a decade now and I'm still using the old 2-tuner DVR.  After trying to haggle with this moron, she says there's NOTHING they can do for a 10+ year customer... even though I NEVER ask for any free deals or anything.  She says "maybe call back and see if there's a promotional deal in the future"... so I hang up.

3rd CSR - I call back again the next weekend for a completely different question, and the CSR tells me "You might be eligible for a Genie upgrade"... same old B.S. again... I tell her my story and she says YES it's the FULL GENIE but I'd have to call a number for the Connected Communities line, since I'm in a condo complex.

4th CSR - I call the CC line 800-268-xxxx (can't remember) and THIS IDIOT SAYS THERE IS NO FREE GENIE and I'd have to pay full price.  Jesus f'ing Christ... enough of this Bull!!  After getting pissed and starting to cuss, I request a supervisor.  I wait about 6-10 minutes and finally get a supervisor.  After telling them my story and all this back-and-forth LIES of theirs, they offer me the Genie at $99 with free installation.  I give in and say fine, set up the appointment.  So we set the app't for TODAY, between 12-4. 

This week - I've been getting the usual app't confirmation emails and phone calls, up until an hour before my app't. 

Today - 5th CSR - I'm playing league football today with games at 10 and 11... so I have to leave my 2nd game early just to get home.  I rush home, shower... and sit here.  I wait until about 2 PM, no call, no nothing.  I call DTV and they give me the number for the installation services.  I call that number, she says they'll contact the installers and give me a call back in 15-20 minutes.  40 minutes later, NO CALL.  I call them back around 3 PM.  The CSR says that I have 'NO APPOINTMENT IN THE QUEUE'.  Are you f'ng kidding me?!??? 

I ask her how the HELL an appointment just gets "LOST" and she says she doesn't know.  But there's NOTHING she can do, supposedly.  I start yelling and telling her I've been sitting here for 3+ hours waiting for them now to find out my app't was just canceled/lost in the shuffle.  Again, "there's nothing I can do but request a new app't".  I tell her to get me to a supervisor IMMEDIATELY or I'm canceling.  I wait for a few, then the supervisor gets on.  He was BY FAR the worst person I've talked to in this whole thing.  He says there's NOTHING they can do... I said I've been sitting here for now 3-and-a-half hours, and demand a FREE Genie after all, and refund my $99.  I tell him that I've been sitting here all day waiting, when I had errands I needed to do... and I ask him if my TIME is worth NOTHING to them.  He says all this B.S. about how they can't refund anything.  He says MAYBE they can get a tech out here today, if not... then it's NEXT friday.  I tell him that's unacceptable, I had already cleared off my recordings off this DVR and it was THEIR fault they "lost" my appointment.  He says they'll contact the installers and call me back.

6th CSR - I wait again for about 30 minutes... it's getting close to 4:30 now.  I get a call back and they said they have NO installations for today or tomorrow, and I'll have to wait ANOTHER week.  We go back and forth again on what's going on, and if I can get my DAMN MONEY BACK and cancel my service, and she says I need to contact customer service.  I thought I WAS talking to customer service?!??

In closing, this company spews out LIES because one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.  Multiple CSRs don't know WHAT the hell they're doing, and everything just says "there's nothing I can do about this"...  F*CK THIS COMPANY, I'm going to Fios.

Exactly my friend! I had a similiar problem with DirecTV. I was with them for 13 Years! Finally got tired of their BS. Installer came out and then told me my WIRING All had to be REPLACED and was not covered under the install. After a second try, DirecTV would not pay for the re-wiring of my house so I cancelled and went to Time Warner Cable. I could have gone back to FiOS but I had BILLING issues with those Lunatics. So far Time Warner has been good. A few hiccups but nothing major. So yeah! SCREW DIRECTV!

#14 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,994 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'vd had a lot of either inept TWC reps or lying. From them telling me that such a thing as an HDDVR doesn't exist, to a few months ago a salesman coming to the door and when finding we have Directv saying "so you don't mind your signal going out when it's cloudy" and saying Roadrunner is faster than the phone company's offering because the cable is thicker ("more bandwidth").

Combine that with bad equipment, stupid channel lineups and some other aspects of DirecTV that is unique to them, there is just no comparison to me, even with cases the installer frustrations I've had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Got a call from the Office of the President.  They offered a free Genie (the remaining $99 in credits) and a $50 on my next bill for a missed on-time guarantee.

Sounds good but we'll see if they show up on Friday now.

#16 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,994 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Keep in mind, whole home service is required if you don't already have it.

#17 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

Keep in mind, whole home service is required if you don't already have it.

Yeah I already have it with an HR24... and the little receiver box in the other room.

For the Genie will the installer need to change wiring or anything?  Or just put in the new Genie and Mini?  I know it's a really new install, they just put up this dish 2 years ago... don't really know any other details.

#18 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,994 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

Does your HR24 have one coax cable or two with two boxes inline? You can also press - and let us know if it says SWM connected.

#19 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

You know you'll be paying an extra $3/mo for the Genie, right? :)...

I too was offered a "free" Genie and after 73 calls back & forth with poor CSRs, I found my bill would go up $3/mo even though I had only one TV. WHDVR is required on the Genie.

You also lose built-in OTA (if you had an HR20).

I turned down the offer.

Edited by SledgeHammer, 18 November 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

You know you'll be paying an extra $3/mo for the Genie, right? :)...

I too was offered a "free" Genie and after 73 calls back & forth with poor CSRs, I found my bill would go up $3/mo even though I had only one TV. WHDVR is required on the Genie.

A bit of web page browsing or posting a question here could have saved 70 calls!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: customer service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...