Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TERRIBLE service, I am DONE with DirecTV

customer service

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

You know you'll be paying an extra $3/mo for the Genie, right? :)...

I too was offered a "free" Genie and after 73 calls back & forth with poor CSRs, I found my bill would go up $3/mo even though I had only one TV. WHDVR is required on the Genie.

You also lose built-in OTA (if you had an HR20).

I turned down the offer.

We know, you tell us repeatedly every chance you get.

What's it matter you lose built in OTA when the AM21 is just as sufficient?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

73 calls and you told them to stick it for $3/month? Wow, you must feel your time is worth no more than 2 cents an hour!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#23 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

We know, you tell us repeatedly every chance you get.

What's it matter you lose built in OTA when the AM21 is just as sufficient?

The AM21 is nowhere NEAR as good as having it built in.

1) it costs $50 to $60

2) it's a mostly empty box that's almost the size of an entire DVR

3) it runs hot

2 & 3 are actually a concern for me since I'm pretty much out of space in my cabinet.

#24 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

73 calls and you told them to stick it for $3/month? Wow, you must feel your time is worth no more than 2 cents an hour!

When every CSR (and supervisor) tells you something different, you have to call a bunch of times.

Who said I called them 73 times on *my* time? I have a desk job you know... it pays me quite a bit more then 2 cents an hour :).

It wasn't just the $3/month. They also wanted $$$ for the AM-21 and they couldn't even order it for me. I'd have to order it from SolidSignal or some 3rd party place like that.

First they told me it was completely free... (about the first 7 CSRs told me that)... then they told me I could do a self install... then they told me it was an extra $3/mo... then they told me I couldn't do a self install... then they told me I needed to replace all my equipment (even though I can self install a SWiM-8 and be fully compatible).

Basically at the end of the day, the Genie offers NOTHING over an HR20 and takes away the OTA. Yeah, you get a few more tuners... theoretically... add in a few clients and you're back to having a 2 tuner DVR. More space? Nice try... I have a 1.5TB drive in my box. I'll never fill that up.

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,347 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

1) it costs $50 to $60

3) it runs hot

2 & 3 are actually a concern for me since I'm pretty much out of space in my cabinet.

ANd yet I have heard the am21 is better than the built in, but I have had both and they both work the exact same for signals where I am.

#26 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

I think he's saying it isn't as good because it costs extra and takes up more space, not because of the quality of signal it receives.

There's absolutely no difference in the tuner between a H20-100 and AM21, as far as I've ever seen. I have a lot of each, so if there was, I'd have noticed by now.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#27 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

Does your HR24 have one coax cable or two with two boxes inline? You can also press - and let us know if it says SWM connected.

Yup it says "SWiM Connected"

SWiM = SWM I'm assuming?

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yes; SWiM is the full designation.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Here's a recent thread of Wilbur The Goose's that gives his pros and cons of both. Some things of course are relative. I think Bill Sharpe has had FIOS billing issues.

http://www.dbstalk.c...g-vz-fios-to-d/

I've heard a lot of various stories about MDU's which is probably part of the issue, but there are other things that don't make sense, like being told that it was only a client, which your setup can't even use, that would be free.

I've had many problems with Verizon's accounting department too.  And their customer service is a joke.  Can't help but wonder what their FIOS tech support is like.  At least, with D*, I know what to expect.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'vd had a lot of either inept TWC reps or lying. From them telling me that such a thing as an HDDVR doesn't exist, to a few months ago a salesman coming to the door and when finding we have Directv saying "so you don't mind your signal going out when it's cloudy" and saying Roadrunner is faster than the phone company's offering because the cable is thicker ("more bandwidth").

Combine that with bad equipment, stupid channel lineups and some other aspects of DirecTV that is unique to them, there is just no comparison to me, even with cases the installer frustrations I've had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always better to go with the Devil you know than the Devil you don't.  

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think he's saying it isn't as good because it costs extra and takes up more space, not because of the quality of signal it receives.

There's absolutely no difference in the tuner between a H20-100 and AM21, as far as I've ever seen. I have a lot of each, so if there was, I'd have noticed by now.

If he ain't complaining, he ain't happy apparently....I've put him on ignore.... :rotfl:

I have one HR20, and 3 other HR's with AM-21's....there is no difference and no heat coming off of mine.

Edited by CCarncross, 19 November 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

1) it costs $50 to $60
3) it runs hot

Understood, but it is an owned device, so if you want just take it out of its giant case and put it in something else.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

You know you'll be paying an extra $3/mo for the Genie, right? :)...

I too was offered a "free" Genie and after 73 calls back & forth with poor CSRs, I found my bill would go up $3/mo even though I had only one TV. WHDVR is required on the Genie.

You also lose built-in OTA (if you had an HR20).

I turned down the offer.

As long as it's a straight swap and not adding any receivers, he won't see any added charges.

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

Yup it says "SWiM Connected"

SWiM = SWM I'm assuming?

You'll have a straight forward install as long as you stay at or under 8 tuners. Simple swapout, maybe losing a DECA (Genie has it built in).

#35 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

You'll have a straight forward install as long as you stay at or under 8 tuners. Simple swapout, maybe losing a DECA (Genie has it built in).

Cool, thanks.

What are my odds of getting the HR44?  That's the one I want, correct?  Do they even install the HR34's anymore?

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,104 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

Cool, thanks.

What are my odds of getting the HR44?  That's the one I want, correct?  Do they even install the HR34's anymore?

Odds are best if you have an installer do it. Also get a morning appointment. But still no guarantee.

I have a 34 and have no issues with it, but yes, the HR44 is the newest. Same main functionality, much smaller and speed ranges from a little faster to a lot faster, depending on who you ask.

#37 OFFLINE   compnurd

compnurd

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationEvans City PA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

I've had many problems with Verizon's accounting department too.  And their customer service is a joke.  Can't help but wonder what their FIOS tech support is like.  At least, with D*, I know what to expect.

Rich

I had Fios Internet only for 7 months. I never had one correct bill between the promos and everything else.  And nothing they do to correct it is applied right away..  everything takes a full billing cycle

SWM-16
HR44
2-C-41
HR24
2-H25

#38 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

I had Fios Internet only for 7 months. I never had one correct bill between the promos and everything else.  And nothing they do to correct it is applied right away..  everything takes a full billing cycle

I've had FiOS for several years now. While their billing is anything but perfect, they've always corrected any issues - and I've only had a couple. Yes, it might take a full billing cycle, but at least it's corrected.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

With all the problems I've had with D*, I've never had a billing error.   I find that quite remarkable.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Cool, thanks.

I think your chances of getting the HR44 are very good

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: customer service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...