Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving Questions - Want to keep Directv

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   andunn27

andunn27

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

First off let me apologize beforehand for all the questions.

Info:

I am moving from MIssouri to Texas.

I currently have had Direct for 10 years.

I am month to month with them and under no obligation to stay with them.  I like not being locked into a contract.

I lease one Directv HD DVR

I own one Direct HD DVR - Yes, I own.  This is correct and not an error.

I want to keep DIrectv

I read I can suspend my account for 6 months.  I have some questions concerning the account on hold

Will I lose my shows on my DVR's once Directv is eventually hooked up at new house if my account was on hold?

I am grandfathered into NY and LA local channels and have local Missouri channels as well.  Obvisouly I will lose my Missouri locals, but will I lose my grandfathered NY and LA channels?  My wife wants to keep these if possible.

The house we are purchasing in Texas is already hooked up with a dish, but it is a  grey DishNetwork HD dish (not some of the black ones I have seen).  I don't want to do the movers program and get locked down into a contract.  Is it possible to use the DishNetwork dish for Directv?  Just possibly just have to reposition is a little?  If not, is it possible to use the DishNetwork pole mast attached to the house by removing the oval Directv dish with LNB's on my setup in MIssouri from the pole, remove the Dish Network oval dish in Texas from the pole, and place the Directv dish with LNB's on the mast pole?

Any information that anyone can supply would be great.  I may habe more questions, but these are the ones I thought about off the top of my head.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't know the answer to your NY/LA grandfathering question. 

However, the DISH Network dish that is at your new house will NOT work for your DirecTV service, even if you repoint it. Also, you will NOT be able to simply put a DirecTV dish on the existing mast, because DISH masts are a different diameter than the DirecTV ones. Also, if there are any DISH network switches/combiners in the coax, those are not compatible with DirecTV.

If you are absolutely 100% opposed to using the movers connection deal then you should look up a local dealer/installer that you can pay to do an installation for you.

#3 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 804 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm pretty sure you will lose your NY/LA channels when you move. I understand not wanting a contract, but since you have been a customer for 10 years, are you at all likely to want to change?

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,408 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Will I lose my shows on my DVR's once Directv is eventually hooked up at new house if my account was on hold?

If not immediately, eventually yes

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,893 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you will lose your NY/LA channels when you move. I understand not wanting a contract, but since you have been a customer for 10 years, are you at all likely to want to change?

For a lot of people, it's not about that, it's keeping options open or feeling that being in contract puts you in debt to DirecTV.

Most people are sure that their job will be there, until it's not and you can't find anything at the same pay, or major medical issue not covered by insurance etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I currently have had Direct for 10 years.

I am month to month with them and under no obligation to stay with them.  I like not being locked into a contract.

I don't want to do the movers program and get locked down into a contract. 

For most long term customers, including me, the nice thing about not being locked into a contract, is the ability to get concessions from DirecTV when you want them.  In some cases, the "cost" of those concessions is that we lock ourselves back into a new contract for another two years.  Since we're happy with DirecTV service and have no intention of changing service providers, as long as we get the concessions that we want, that is a fair trade-off. 

If you're one of those people who have no intention of changing providers, why don't you take advantage of the fact that you are out of contract and get DirecTV to upgrade your leased HD DVR to a Genie while they do the movers connection for you?

#7 OFFLINE   bigbw

bigbw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

I got DNS channels years ago.. I have moved 4 times since then and I still have them..

#8 OFFLINE   andunn27

andunn27

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

For most long term customers, including me, the nice thing about not being locked into a contract, is the ability to get concessions from DirecTV when you want them.  In some cases, the "cost" of those concessions is that we lock ourselves back into a new contract for another two years.  Since we're happy with DirecTV service and have no intention of changing service providers, as long as we get the concessions that we want, that is a fair trade-off. 

If you're one of those people who have no intention of changing providers, why don't you take advantage of the fact that you are out of contract and get DirecTV to upgrade your leased HD DVR to a Genie while they do the movers connection for you?

I like being able to call Directv up every year after they pump my price back to normal (after any promotions/credits run out they were giving me) and say hey Dishnetwork is offering me $20 off a month if I sign with them and 3 free months of HBO,....  I have done this every year with no issues and recdived a $20 credit every month.  So if I get locked into a 2 year deal I won't have much negotiating power to do this.  I'm all about saving money.  Plus, I want to be able to drop service (not having something holding me down) if something were to happen to me financillay to where I needed to save money every month.   The new receivers don't interest me much as I have no issues with my current HD DVR hardware.  Plus, I have the Direct protection plan so if anything happend they'll replace it.  It may not be a genie, or the latest and greatest, but it doesn't have to be.

Edited by andunn27, 17 November 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   andunn27

andunn27

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

I got DNS channels years ago.. I have moved 4 times since then and I still have them..

Did you move in state or out of state?  I have moved in state once and was able to keep them

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,659 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:03 PM

If not immediately, eventually yes

Peds knows his stuff, but I'm not sure you will lose existing recordings. I've deactivated an owned DVR for years and reactivated it and still had previous recordings on it. As to the leased DVR, as long as you don't have to return it while suspended (you shouldn't), it should be okay also.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,408 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

Peds knows his stuff, but I'm not sure you will lose existing recordings. I've deactivated an owned DVR for years and reactivated it and still had previous recordings on it. As to the leased DVR, as long as you don't have to return it while suspended (you shouldn't), it should be okay also.

Well, I did not meant "lost" as is "gone forever" but rather won't have access to them once the receiver looses its authorizations 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Well, I did not meant "lost" as is "gone forever" but rather won't have access to them once the receiver looses its authorizations 

One of us misunderstood his question.  I thought that he was asking if he would still have access to his recordings once his DVR's are reinstated after the suspension.

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,659 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

One of us misunderstood his question.  I thought that he was asking if he would still have access to his recordings once his DVR's are reinstated after the suspension.

Yes, also what I understood.

Note to andunn27, you probably will not be able to watch recordings on the DVRs while they are inactive (you may for a while, but experience varies widely on how long that "while" can be).  In order to be able to do this at all, you must disconnect the DVRs from the dish before calling to suspend your account.  While operating in that mode (disconnected from a dish), they will not receive a periodic "refresh" signal to keep them active, and once that happens, they will no longer be usable.  However there have been widely varying reports of how long that interval can be (from several days to several months).

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,733 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

And  I strongly suspect, the newer receivers will have shorter periods they can go without sat. signal and the refresh auth.

Some older ones may go forever, but then that's of limited use anyway. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

If possible before moving in, do a thorough search for DISH power inserters and diplexers!!  You would be amazed where, over the years, somebody may have stuck something and  you will want all that stuff out. 

In fact, check as much as you can, ground blocks, cable runs, cover plates, etc..  After moving in you are going to want to have a solid TV system!

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Presumably a receiver gets a reauth signal sent to it automatically once in a while. With many millions of receivers out there, they probably aren't getting a signal every day. It might be weeks between the time a receiver normally gets a signal. When it has been too long since the last signal, it deactivates until it gets a new signal.

If this is true, then sending a reauth via the web site right before you unplug it should maximize the amount of time before it deactivates. That would also be useful if someone wanted to do an experiment to see exactly how long the authorization lasts (and if the time is different between newer receivers and older ones like Laxguy suggests)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

For a lot of people, it's not about that, it's keeping options open or feeling that being in contract puts you in debt to DirecTV.

Most people are sure that their job will be there, until it's not and you can't find anything at the same pay, or major medical issue not covered by insurance etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like being able to call Directv up every year after they pump my price back to normal (after any promotions/credits run out they were giving me) and say hey Dishnetwork is offering me $20 off a month if I sign with them and 3 free months of HBO,....  I have done this every year with no issues and recdived a $20 credit every month.  So if I get locked into a 2 year deal I won't have much negotiating power to do this.  I'm all about saving money.  Plus, I want to be able to drop service (not having something holding me down) if something were to happen to me financillay to where I needed to save money every month.   The new receivers don't interest me much as I have no issues with my current HD DVR hardware.  Plus, I have the Direct protection plan so if anything happend they'll replace it.  It may not be a genie, or the latest and greatest, but it doesn't have to be.

All good points.

#18 OFFLINE   andunn27

andunn27

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

So getting back to the DNS channels.  Can anyone confirm either way if I move to another state?  Also will doing the movers connection so Directv taks care of everything versus suspending account while I get a Directv dish setup myself have any effect on keeping/losing these?

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

So getting back to the DNS channels.  Can anyone confirm either way if I move to another state?  Also will doing the movers connection so Directv taks care of everything versus suspending account while I get a Directv dish setup myself have any effect on keeping/losing these?

Per the FCC, the way it works is that you have to requalify for each new physical adderss.  If you move to the house next door and change your address, DirecTV is supposed to pull them until you requalify for them.  If you move to a market that has a full comppliment of locals, then you are not even able to apply for DNS feeds.  Its something to think about and maybe DirecTV will miss it when you move and maybe they wont.  Don't be surprised if they do cut them off.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#20 OFFLINE   carl.066

carl.066

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

The loss of DNS is a sensitive issue for those lucky enough to still have it. I am grandfathered for it, even though I live in a major market that has HD locals. But we are contemplating a move, and suspect we will lose it, if we change our service address with DTV. Many have said "Just don't change your service address - only your billing address". We get our monthly bills online and pay them the same way. 

spam firewall