Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sling overhauls its TV-streaming app for iOS, adds Roku channel; Windows 8.1 app planned for December

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

Sling overhauls its TV-streaming app for iOS, adds Roku channel; Windows 8.1 app planned for December

Sling only refreshes its TV-streaming set-top boxes once every few years, and indeed, the current models only came out 13 months ago. So, it's a bit early for new hardware, but the company has at least been busy making over its family of apps. 

Today, Sling released an overhauled version of its iOS app (SlingPlayer 3.0), along with a brand new Sling channel for Roku players. Additionally, the company says it's coming out with a Windows 8.1 app, but that won't arrive until December.

SP_iPad_Social_wBezel_630_wide.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Just downloaded it and it's very nice. Looks like live sports scores, movie recommendations, the whole deal.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   SandyG3

SandyG3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Hopefully the dish anywhere app will support this soon. I've been looking for a way to Sling content to a roku in another room from my VIP922!!!

#4 OFFLINE   Milkman

Milkman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

It has an upgraded version for Android too, which allows for Roku...  

If anyone cares.

Gator fan for LIFE!!!!
My current setup can be found here!

#5 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

I fooled around with both the iPad and iPhone app some last night. I do like the iPad app, it is laid out nicely and reminds me of the DirecTV and TiVo apps in that you now have a full guide and can change the channel from the app on your Slingbox and/or your TV.  I plan to look at it further, it looks like they also enabled controls for NeoTV and other Slingplayer enabled devices.

Looking forward the way they laid out the app with Roku support would have to imagine Xbox or PS3/4 support could be in the future.  Seems like the Roku app is much like the Xbox glass app.

#6 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

It would have been nice if they made the Roku channel standalone like the WD Live SMP channel. Having to stream FROM your phone/iPad is not what I was hoping for.

• pdxBeav likes this

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

I agree. Nevertheless, one question--how does one use this? I launched the app from my Android phone, went to my Roku and selected the Slingplayer channel, but nothing. All I see is the menu telling me for more information, press, "OK," which launches a promotional video. How does one get the feed to run through the Roku?

The only thing I'm wondering might be the issue is that my Rokus (I have two--one in the living room and the other in the master BR) are both connected via ethernet cable, a hard-wired connection. If I have to disconnect this to use the wireless feature, forcing me to rely on my horrible UVerse Internet wireless service, I'm not going to be very happy!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#8 OFFLINE   andersj4

andersj4

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Did you check to make sure your Roku was supported?  I played around for about a half hour, couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, then came upon the list of supported devices here: http://support.sling.../get/KB-2000582 and found that my Roku HD (2500X) won't be supported for a couple of weeks.  Just a thought. 

#9 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

There seems to be many issue with Slingbox and Roku's working correctly.  My Roku LT shows it should be supported but as of yet no icon showing up.  Both companies seem to be aware there is an issue and the Sling Support page on the Slingbox website has had close to 30 responses in the last two days.  Hopefully things get worked out and they resolve the issue with Roku's.  The new software otherwise is nicely done.

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Did you check to make sure your Roku was supported?  I played around for about a half hour, couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, then came upon the list of supported devices here: http://support.sling.../get/KB-2000582 and found that my Roku HD (2500X) won't be supported for a couple of weeks.  Just a thought. 

Yes, both my Rokus are supported.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#11 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

I just played with the sling box Roku channel.

It works okay but I agree with the others...I really wish I didn't have to use the iPhone or iPad to launch it.

It is kind of like airplay. Open the channel on Roku, connect to sling box on iPhone and click the button on phone to change it from iPhone to Roku.

Don't get me wrong...any added feature is nice to have. The Roku is in my spare room so I don't think I'll have guests using this much.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...