Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer confiscated customer owned recievers

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JAQUEBAUER

JAQUEBAUER

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I am 10+ year Direct TV  customer. with 3 standard receivers.  2 of the receivers I purchased 10 years ago, and remaining receiver is a 2 year old leased model.  I decided to upgrade the leased receiver to an HD model, as I had replaced a standard analog large screen television with a current generation flat screen HD set. 

Yesterday the installer came and after installing a new dish, he replaced all my receivers, not just the one I chose to upgrade to HD.  He said the new SD receivers were needed to operate off the new dish.  Ok so far.   After he finished the install, he had to rework some errors, such as installing the wrong LNB for my channel lineup.  I was randomly checking channels, and noticed one that was not available that I was receiving before he came and replaced all the receivers and installed a new dish and LNB.  He said his work order told him which reflector/LNB combo to use, (which was incorrect) and it was my luck he had the correct LNB on the truck. He finishes his work and I QC his work a second time.  All looks good.   Then he collects up all the old receivers and takes them to his truck.  I told him that 2 of the receivers he took were mine, that I had purchased them 10 years ago, and they were not Direct TV property.  He told me that he has orders to take back all receivers, and that If  I wanted my receivers back he would have to remove all the new equipment.  I said he could have the security card,  but I wanted my property back.  He refused.  I demanded he give me a receipt for what he took, and he refused, saying I would get a receipt in the mail.   I did not want to waste more of my day with him reinstalling the old receivers and dish, so I submitted to the "theft" of my receivers.   I have written to Direct TV- telling them what I  have written here.....and I am still waiting for a reply.

Has any one else experienced the confiscation of customer owned receivers ?    

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Which manufacturer and model were the owned ones?

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,316 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:12 PM

Well, DirecTV techs are required to "collect" receivers that were swapped as part of the upgrade.  But if customers insist, then there is a from that you are supposed to fill out stating that you kept those receivers

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

My parents had a similar situation with Dish Network.  The tech had to replace the stb that they owned and took the old one away.  Dish Network said that they own the new box exchange for the old one.  I don't see what is the big deal in having your old boxes.  It's not like you can use them with the new system anyway.  Just have Directv note your account that you own two of the new receivers.  

#5 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

What do you want the old receivers for? The tech is supposed to take all swaps on upgrades and service calls if the customer refuses the tech can change the work order to a new outlet instead of a swap. You may be charged more for a new outlet in that case. He could also as Peds stated not the account you refused giving up the receivers and he is supposed to just take the cards as they belong to Directv in all cases. If the receivers are that old they are worthless and he did you a favor taking them.

#6 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

I understand your frustration, but I'd probably take a more pragmatic view of the situation. With 10 year old receivers, I would probably be happy they took them so I wouldn't have to go to the recycle center with them (curbside single stream pitches a fit over things like that).

I guess there could be some technicality that they should call the replacements owned, or some such thing. I guess I have just never understood the fascination of having owned receivers.

Just call them, act properly indignant, and they will likely throw you a bone with some discounts. Then just call it job done.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

I understand your frustration, but I'd probably take a more pragmatic view of the situation. With 10 year old receivers, I would probably be happy they took them so I wouldn't have to go to the recycle center with them (curbside single stream pitches a fit over things like that).

I guess there could be some technicality that they should call the replacements owned, or some such thing. I guess I have just never understood the fascination of having owned receivers.

Just call them, act properly indignant, and they will likely throw you a bone with some discounts. Then just call it job done.

Activating/deactivating at will, legally replacing internal drive, selling are the primary benefits. Two of those really don't factor into this. If they were 10 years old, they could have been MPG receivers, which really are worthless, or soon to be.

#8 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

The 10 year old receivers are not going to be any good so what's the difference. Surprised they weren't getting replacement messages because of the MPG/APG swap.

#9 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

Well, DirecTV techs are required to "collect" receivers that were swapped as part of the upgrade.  But if customers insist, then there is a from that you are supposed to fill out stating that you kept those receivers

I keep seeing this this type of post.

I've been with DirecTV many years and have upgraded boxes many times and have never had a tech. ask to take away my old boxes, they just say D* will send out a recovery box and all I have to do is drop in the mail.  

May be done differently in different areas of the country.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,187 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

Did you allow the technician to take (steal) your microwave oven as well.

The units were owned by you, as in, belonged to you, as in your property.

Where is the outrage here?

• Dude111 likes this

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I would have called his bluff on removing everything. 

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Did you allow the technician to take (steal) your microwave oven as well.

The units were owned by you, as in, belonged to you, as in your property.

Where is the outrage here?

Post 1. 

And it sounds like the equipment was obsolete at best;

It could be that they were not in fact owned, but leased. It's a common enough misconception among DIRECTV customers. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

I keep seeing this this type of post.

I've been with DirecTV many years and have upgraded boxes many times and have never had a tech. ask to take away my old boxes, they just say D* will send out a recovery box and all I have to do is drop in the mail.  

May be done differently in different areas of the country.

J C

Used to be that way here but this last time they took the HR20 when they replaced it with an HR44. I no longer have any use for it. anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

I have no idea why someone would want to hang onto two 10-year-old SD receivers....you should be thanking them for taking them away for you....worth nothing and if you didnt dispose of them properly worth a hefty fine for you if you got caught....what a ridiculous thread.

#15 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Why are we still talking about this?  The stb were 10 years old.  They called to be upgraded.  End of post :).  Just let it go.  

#16 OFFLINE   Lurker17

Lurker17

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

My Sony SAT-T60 (still running fine)  is more reliable than any box I have gotten from DTV  in the last 10 years. 

• Dude111 likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

Sounds very SD. And SD is easier to transmit, easier to process, far fewer bits, etc. 

#18 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

In scenario provided in the original post, would the new SD receivers be considered owned or did DirecTV convert the TS from two owned receivers to two leased receivers?

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

In scenario provided in the original post, would the new SD receivers be considered owned or did DirecTV convert the TS from two owned receivers to two leased receivers?

At this point it shouldn't make any difference. Moot point. Researching it would be a waste of time, except for academic interest. 

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

At this point it shouldn't make any difference. Moot point. Researching it would be a waste of time, except for academic interest. 

Not necessarily.  If either of those owned receivers were used in a guest room that it only used occasionally, the TS might want the ability to activate & deactivate it based on whether guests were coming or not.  I've been considering trying to get a couple of owned receivers to put into my upstairs guest rooms.  If I did that, and DirecTV then forced me to upgrade them, I'd be pissed if they put me onto a leased model, which would require me to either keep them active all year long or return them every time that I wanted to deactivate them (and worse yet, charge me and trigger a new 2 year commitment every time that I wanted to reactivate them).

spam firewall