Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer confiscated customer owned recievers

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes, thanks, I understand what you've said, but there are plenty of exceptions. As for the HR20's, I can tell you they are not wanted back. Now, if a tech's understanding is that on a swap the old receiver needs to come back it will be his m.o., HR20 or not. Unless he can reason and use judgement, depends on his boss, locale, etc. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

On any upgrade or service swap the tech is required to get the old reciever being swapped no matter its age. Just because they are not refurbishing them anymore does not mean they don't want them back. Policy is they all come back when a tech swaps them. 

He better have that in writing and some cash in his pocket for me if he wants my owned stuff. lol 

#63 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

He better have that in writing and some cash in his pocket for me if he wants my owned stuff. lol 

Then he could just as easy walk away with "his" receivers.....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#64 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,032 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

To be honest Herdfan had the solution to this whole issue:

Of course, no one from DirecTV is allowed to touch any of my stuff so it would not happen to me.

I have not seen a  DirecTV tech since I signed up at home in Jan 97 or at work sometime in '01.  I admit I have given up a couple freebies but i have the receivers I want, the dish mounted where I want and the cables ran the way I want.

• crashHD likes this

My Setup

#65 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

To be honest Herdfan had the solution to this whole issue:

I have not seen a  DirecTV tech since I signed up at home in Jan 97 or at work sometime in '01.  I admit I have given up a couple freebies but i have the receivers I want, the dish mounted where I want and the cables ran the way I want.

of course this is a choice that I wish some would understand instead of trying to get the same with free "pro" install from DirecTV 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#66 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Then he could just as easy walk away with "his" receivers.....

Apparently you missed where he said he would uninstall all of it? I would have called his bluff, it wouldn't have mattered to me if he wasted more of his time. lol 

#67 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Apparently you missed where he said he would uninstall all of it? I would have called his bluff, it wouldn't have mattered to me if he wasted more of his time. lol 

apparently you did not understood my post, if you refuse to give the swapped receivers to the tech, he could just walk away from doing the job that he was there to do.  so you keep your old receivers and the tech keeps "his" receivers" now both of you are even

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#68 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

apparently you did not understood my post, if you refuse to give the swapped receivers to the tech, he could just walk away from doing the job that he was there to do.  so you keep your old receivers and the tech keeps "his" receivers" now both of you are even

Apparently you didn't understand where he said he would have UNINSTALLED it. In order to uninstall his new stuff he would have had to INSTALL it. Again, if he wants to waste the time for an install and then more for an uninstall it wouldn't bother me. No skin off my nose. 

#69 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Bottom line, whether those old SD models were owned or not....if you are given free HD upgrades for all the older units, you still make out....no matter how you may want to spin it....

#70 OFFLINE   srfrdan

srfrdan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

well, they told me on the phone just to send back the cards in their prvided envelopes, ive two hughes and two rcas--the hughes dont have any channeels working but the rca still get cannels 2-55 ---d

#71 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Upgraded for free is only applicable when customer has the protection plan...part of the issue has to do with whether the new setup is SWM, and in most cases the old equipment is not compatible so it HAS to be replaced, especially if its 10-year-old SD junk.

I would have to disagree.  I have seen them do it with new MPEG 4 only markets as well.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#72 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I keep seeing this this type of post.

I've been with DirecTV many years and have upgraded boxes many times and have never had a tech. ask to take away my old boxes, they just say D* will send out a recovery box and all I have to do is drop in the mail.  

May be done differently in different areas of the country.

J C

We just did a major upgrade from an HR20-700, HR21-100, HR21-200 to an HR44-700 and two HR24s.

Two pieces were owned. They took them all without even asking (D* confirmed they didn't want ANY of them back when we placed the order)

Basically, they saved me the money of paying the local landfill to take them. 

The quality of service was outstanding, he let me help (a good idea with 130+ wires coming out the back of the rolling media rack), and was both courteous and efficient.

He went the extra mile with everything and sheepishly accepted a nice tip at the end, but it took some arm twisting.

Overall, a really nice install experience. 

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#73 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I would have to disagree.  I have seen them do it with new MPEG 4 only markets as well.

Of course, josh has pointed out the exception....yes, but in that case, Directv has initiated the upgrade due the MPEG4 local market conversion....its not a customer requested upgrade.

#74 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

He went the extra mile with everything and sheepishly accepted a nice tip at the end, but it took some arm twisting...

., .

Wow! Installer twisted your arm to pull a tip banknote from your dead cold hand ? :D

#75 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,830 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:43 PM

Wow! Installer twisted your arm to pull a tip banknote from your dead cold hand ? :D

Hmmmm....kinda turns the concept of generosity on its head, doesn't it? I did have to force it on him, but he really deserved it. I wish all people got the service I have gotten with installs on two out of three occasions.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall