Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiplle DirecTV receivers and home network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bdgarcia

bdgarcia

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hello,

I am wanting to control my DirecTV receivers with my Crestron System (I do my own programming), but I have a question.   I have the HR34 DVR and whole home DVR service.   Currently only my HR34 is connected to the home network.   I want to be able to control each receiver using IP so I need each receiver to be connected to my home network and to have a static IP address.   I have heard there are problems when connecting each individual receiver to a network, is that true (DirecTV installer indicated this).   Is this true, if it is are there work arounds available?   Any thoughts, recommendations, and / or experiences are appreciated.

Thx

Bryan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

If your 34 is connected then it can bridge your other receivers depending on what type they are and it will not give you any problems with them all being connected.

#3 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Bryan:

Whole Home under it's present configuration works fine under switched Ethernet (albeit unsupported) or you can leverage the supported configuration and have the coax cables transfer the IP streams  between the receivers. I run a hybrid with some on DECA and some on switched Ethernet transparently. I also am responsible for my own troubleshooting and problem resolution as result however.

The HMC machines (HR34 and HR44) are unique in that they will actively communicate on BOTH the switched Ethernet and DECA fabrics and can be used to bridge the two fabrics. This does mean though that when the HMC is down or in reboot the whole DECA side of the network (with respect to services outside the DECA fabric itself) will be down as well. I prefer to use a CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) as my bridge. I am running the wireless model with its radio switched off and it functions wonderfully as a wired bridge between the two fabrics.

Assuming you have all the receivers already on whole home and the HR34 is connected to the Switched Ethernet you are already set to go! You would just need to grab a range of IP addresses outside your DHCP pool's boundaries and run the advanced network setups on each receiver and put in your static values.

If you are not running whole home currently and possibly do not have the proper green label splitters it all works perfectly fine under switched Ethernet and same deal with assigning the static addressing. But in this realm you are on your own with supporting problems.

Having your whole home encased in DECA and addressing the receivers from outside it using your switched network should work fine.

Don "and once you've worked through it you will realize it's far less complicated than the programming you are doing" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#4 OFFLINE   bdgarcia

bdgarcia

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

If I go the deca route can I assign each receiver a unique IP address?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

If I go the deca route can I assign each receiver a unique IP address?

Absolutely! 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,843 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hello,

I am wanting to control my DirecTV receivers with my Crestron System (I do my own programming), but I have a question.   I have the HR34 DVR and whole home DVR service.   Currently only my HR34 is connected to the home network.   I want to be able to control each receiver using IP so I need each receiver to be connected to my home network and to have a static IP address.   I have heard there are problems when connecting each individual receiver to a network, is that true (DirecTV installer indicated this).   Is this true, if it is are there work arounds available?   Any thoughts, recommendations, and / or experiences are appreciated.

Thx

Bryan

Only if multiple receivers are using your network at the same time. Then they become road hogs and will slow down your home network. 

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,241 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Only if multiple receivers are using your network at the same time. Then they become road hogs and will slow down your home network. 

That's only possible if your home network is outdated 100Mb ethernet. If that's the case, gigabit switches are like $20 these days, so it would be a simple problem to fix.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   bdgarcia

bdgarcia

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

All,

Thank you for all of the great replies.   Now it is off to experiment to see what works best in my environment.   If I can reach each receiver via IP using the DECA module then I will go that route.

Bryan

#9 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Bryan:

While you are in the router you might want to carve out a larger DHCP pool range so it has room to attract more toys without encroaching on your static pool.

Don "might save some work down the road for ya" Bolton

All,

Thank you for all of the great replies.   Now it is off to experiment to see what works best in my environment.   If I can reach each receiver via IP using the DECA module then I will go that route.

Bryan

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

spam firewall