Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

About To Try Putting XP Pro On Old Desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

This old box has been parted out and pieced together more times than I can count. I'm not even sure how much of the original HP is left other than the MoBo. It's been running 98SE but I can't even remember if that's the original or if it was upgraded from something else. It's tried to die a couple of times before, but I was able to resuscitate it one way or another. Well, a couple of days ago, 98SE decided it had had enough. I was having problems with any browser accessing any web page. I wasn't sure if it got some kind of bug or something got corrupted. I went to Windows and checked around (was able to get there OK), and that told me IE8 should work. It downloaded OK, but wouldn't install. Things just kind of went downhill from there until it would only boot into Safe Mode. So, instead of trying to fuss with it, I remembered I had a spare copy of XP Pro laying around. Hit a couple of sites and found a WD 80GB HDD for $15 shipped. Got that today, but I haven't started the process yet. I just hope the CD drive works OK. I'm not at all sure this MoBo and CPU will even support XP, and I don't know what it is to be able to check. I may end up getting another MoBo/CPU bundle. I found a few for under $100 shipped. Reading a few sites, I found some mention of XP going to the BSOD if you don't have certain drivers available on Floppy, so who knows what might happen. Yeah, I know I could get a refurb box for $200 or so, but if this works, I'll still be ahead; sort of. This is like a fourth machine in the house, so if it dies, it's really not that big of a deal. Sooooo, any suggestions on what to watch out for?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

Go to HP website and look up model to find drivers, if it has usb you can just put the drivers on there and load them after basic OS installed.  should be good to go from there.  As long as there are XP drivers available, it should be fine provided there isnt a hardware problem related to motherboard or RAM.

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Seems to have gone OK.

Had a problem during install where everything froze while setup was at "Installing Network".  Did a hard reboot and it restarted the setup, asking for the key and Global Settings again, but this time it completed.

Booted up to the Desktop fine.  Was able to adjust some of the settings.

Weird thing with the NIC card though.  If I plugged in the LAN cable, the system locked up.  If I rebooted with the LAN cable plugged in, it wouldn't boot.  As long as the LAN cable was unplugged worked fine including the two USB external HDD boxes.  Thought it might be drivers, so I got a new version and installed that --- same problem.

Have no idea what that NIC card was for sure, so I dug out a spare Belkin 10/100 I had and installed that.  Works fine now.

Downloaded and installed IE8 fine.

Windows Update doesn't want to work though for some reason so I'll let it do the Auto Updates later.  This CD turned out to be SP2, so that should help some.  MSE wants SP3 so I'll have to wait  to get that until after the updates.

Maybe the NIC card was part of the other problem with 98, but it's OK.  This will work out better I think.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

It's probably because it's SP2, download SP3 manually and run Windows Updates after that is installed and rebooted.

Having said that, and I know this is actually an improvement for this system...

Microsoft will stop supporting Windows XP completely in April, no more security updates will be released, but there are plenty of security flaws that will be found. Microsoft essentially will even give hints as to where to look for them.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

^  Yeah, that worked (I think).  Found SP# and loaded it manually.  Windows Update runs now, but it just keeps running, and running ....  Maybe because it needs so much.  Maybe because there's still something goofy.  This Old Box has very low memory and is maxed out so I know some things probably won't run right.

If I do decide to get another MoBo/CPU, how does that work with this HDD?  Would I need to install XP from scratch again, or will it assimilate somehow?

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

With that kind of change, I'd install from scratch. It will probably wig out on all of the changes.

Also, it is possible to create a new XP cd with SP3 and all the current security patches slipstreamed. I'd recommend doing that if you do end up reinstalling. There are a lot of patches, and installing them all will likely require reboot, check for more, reboot, check etc until it comes back as not having any more updates (until next patch Tuesday).

#7 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

I would never go back to Windows XP. Windows 7 is many times better in my opinion.

In the next couple of weeks there will be some super sales and you could pick up a desktop with it on it for super cheap.

Sometimes you just need to say, "It is time for this to go bye bye and get a new up to date one".

A machine that you find with Windows 7 now is probably really cheap because of Windows 8 being out and on the new machines already.

Good luck with your project.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

Oh, I thought about a new box.  I've seen some Win 7 ones for pretty cheap, but I already had this XP Pro CD with an unused key, so free beats cheap at least in this case.  This machine isn't really used for much.  Just some storage and a home automation system.

spam firewall