Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

0x797 update messed up fast forward / Rewind on my Genie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   steeve725

steeve725

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Hi, Everyone.

I asked this question on the Directv forum and the only replies I get are to reset reciever.

Have a small issue I never had before on my Genie HR44-500. I have a few other issues with my Genie but have learned to live with them.

The most recent issue I noticed that when I have time built up my fast forward or rewind doesn't work like it should.

If I have time built up and want to fast forward past commercials, etc there is about a 5 second delay while FF if I press the ADVANCE button (The small button above the FF arrows)

The issue will be there if I am rewinding as well. If I am backing up to the beginning of a program and I want to immediately go to the beginning and press REPLAY button there is about a 5 second delay as well.

This delay issue only happens on live TV, not recorded shows off the List.

MY HR44-500 was updated on 11/7/13 @ 2:22am with software version 0x797.

Also, when I use Double play when I switch between tuners there is about a 5 second delay in the sound.

I have reset the reciever by using the Menu and by pushing the red button. Still have the issues.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank You for any help on my issue.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Hi, Everyone.

I asked this question on the Directv forum and the only replies I get are to reset reciever.

Have a small issue I never had before on my Genie HR44-500. I have a few other issues with my Genie but have learned to live with them.

The most recent issue I noticed that when I have time built up my fast forward or rewind doesn't work like it should.

If I have time built up and want to fast forward past commercials, etc there is about a 5 second delay while FF if I press the ADVANCE button (The small button above the FF arrows)

The issue will be there if I am rewinding as well. If I am backing up to the beginning of a program and I want to immediately go to the beginning and press REPLAY button there is about a 5 second delay as well.

This delay issue only happens on live TV, not recorded shows off the List.

MY HR44-500 was updated on 11/7/13 @ 2:22am with software version 0x797.

Also, when I use Double play when I switch between tuners there is about a 5 second delay in the sound.

I have reset the reciever by using the Menu and by pushing the red button. Still have the issues.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thank You for any help on my issue.

I also have an HR44-500 on 0x0797 and I also notice about a 5 second delay when performing a "skip to tick" operation you described.  As the live buffer becomes larger, the tick values increase from 15 minuets to 30 minuets which may explain why it takes longer when the buffer is large.  However, I don't remember my HR44 taking this long on previous software versions to skip to the next tick. 

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yep, they screwed up skip to tick with this software release. It works fine on recorded programming but live TV is broke.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Yep, they screwed up skip to tick with this software release. It works fine on recorded programming but live TV is broke.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Maybe DirecTV should replace their entire DVR programming staff with professionals.

• pdxBeav likes this

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   steeve725

steeve725

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one having this issue. on the other froum I was on, they just told me to reset the receiver.

Does any one else have the sound issue I described?  When I use Double play when I switch between tuners there is about a 5 second delay in the sound.

Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one having this issue. on the other froum I was on, they just told me to reset the receiver.

Does any one else have the sound issue I described?  When I use Double play when I switch between tuners there is about a 5 second delay in the sound.

Thanks.

I've also seen this audio problem. What I've seen is if one of the tuners is viewing buffered content (aka not live TV) then you get the delay when switching to that tuner. If you get the tuner back up to live TV then there isn't the audio delay. Another little bug that came with this software update.

#7 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

Maybe DirecTV should replace their entire DVR programming staff with professionals.

+1

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

Your dreaming if you think the issue is that simple. Plus it's not the ones doing the work it's the guy making the decision on where the platform is headed.

But it's not all the programmers being unprofessional. That's just rude to say.

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

Your dreaming if you think the issue is that simple. ....

..... That's just rude to say.

+1

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

Regardless, everyone has a boss and that group as a whole has been poor for a long time. FW release after FW release they have been known to add fluff, and break things that should work. I remember when the HR34 came out, and I got one, they spent more time getting youtube out than working to make it reliableat simple recording functions. Thats ridiculous, and they need to do better, period.

Ever since I got 744, I have been having odd quirks I never had the first month I had the dang thing. When you become known for something (shoddy SW updates), you might want to take a look in the mirror. I personally dont care whose fault it is or how rude one thinks it is, I send a payment to Directv every month. That division has poor performance, and if its leadership, they need to be appointing a new leader. This has been going on for YEARS, not months.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#11 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

I've also seen this audio problem. What I've seen is if one of the tuners is viewing buffered content (aka not live TV) then you get the delay when switching to that tuner. If you get the tuner back up to live TV then there isn't the audio delay. Another little bug that came with this software update.

I'm still on fw 744 and I've been posting about that audio delay when switching to a buffered tuner ( in Doubleplay or PIP), since I got my HR44 last summer. I even called DTV about it, and they said there were no reports of that issue, and they intimated that maybe my Pioneer AVR was at fault. I'd love to see that problem fixed, but instead it sounds like I might be looking forward to that skip to tick delay. Yes, I use Doubleplay a lot and I skip to tick a lot, sigh.

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Regardless, everyone has a boss and that group as a whole has been poor for a long time. FW release after FW release they have been known to add fluff, and break things that should work. I remember when the HR34 came out, and I got one, they spent more time getting youtube out than working to make it reliableat simple recording functions. Thats ridiculous, and they need to do better, period.

Ever since I got 744, I have been having odd quirks I never had the first month I had the dang thing. When you become known for something (shoddy SW updates), you might want to take a look in the mirror. I personally dont care whose fault it is or how rude one thinks it is, I send a payment to Directv every month. That division has poor performance, and if its leadership, they need to be appointing a new leader. This has been going on for YEARS, not months.

Well, I don't agree with the direction they have headed in general either, or how things are being pushed out, which is obviously on the marketing departments time line, not the engineering staffs timeline, which is how many companies work unfortunately.  Still, the problem is not everyone has the issues, so its not really easy to tell whats causing them all the time.

#13 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Not my problem. Its idiotic that a company cant make a dvr/tuner be that correctly, before they screw up other stuff. I can say a lot of bad things about Dish, but at least they didnt have their head where the sun dont shine when it comes to reliable hardware. Id be embarrassed if I was in those groups within directv.

They obviously dont care, this just didnt happen over the summer, they have been this way for awhile.

And I understand how big companies work, I work for one. Our IT dept is about as bad.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#14 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Back to the issue... I got 797 today and found skip to tick a complete mess. The lag makes you stack skips and then you end up totally confused about where you are in the buffer. I sure hope that issue is known, being tested in upcoming firmwares, and I hope that gets fixed in the next upgrade. Once my new fw settles in, I'll post in the 797 Issues thread. I encourage others to do the same.

BTW, I still have the audio delays also, when you switch to a buffered tuner.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Well, I don't agree with the direction they have headed in general either, or how things are being pushed out, which is obviously on the marketing departments time line, not the engineering staffs timeline, which is how many companies work unfortunately. Still, the problem is not everyone has the issues, so its not really easy to tell whats causing them all the time.

Exactly. Bill Prady of Big Bang Theory tweeted a lot when he had issues with his H25s after an update, for quite a while. Turns out it was a bug between the receiver and his Sonos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

Not my problem. Its idiotic that a company cant make a dvr/tuner be that correctly, before they screw up other stuff. I can say a lot of bad things about Dish, but at least they didnt have their head where the sun dont shine when it comes to reliable hardware. Id be embarrassed if I was in those groups within directv.

They obviously dont care, this just didnt happen over the summer, they have been this way for awhile.

And I understand how big companies work, I work for one. Our IT dept is about as bad.

Who knows, things might be different if directv rebooted our boxes nightly. And I wouldn't necessarily judge your IT department unless you know the inner workings and things they want or need to do that aren't approved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#17 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

Skip-to-tick messed up on my 44 since getting the update yesterday also.

#18 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I sure hope the skip to tick issue will be fixed soon. This weekend was frustrating with a crowded living room watching multiple football games on Doubleplay. The problem really made trick play difficult and I kept accidentally moving the buffer to live, which spoiled all the fun for everyone. Whatever ever Sports value was added with the last update, I think was actually a step back because of this issue.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,240 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'm still on fw 744 and I've been posting about that audio delay when switching to a buffered tuner ( in Doubleplay or PIP), since I got my HR44 last summer. I even called DTV about it, and they said there were no reports of that issue, and they intimated that maybe my Pioneer AVR was at fault. I'd love to see that problem fixed, but instead it sounds like I might be looking forward to that skip to tick delay. Yes, I use Doubleplay a lot and I skip to tick a lot, sigh.

Did you remove the AVR to test that theory? 

You could change your m.o., and just record what you watch, and hit Previous when you want to shift. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:28 AM

I doubt it's his AVR since my HR44 does the same thing with direct HDMI to the TV, no AVR involved. It only happens with DP and using buffered content, if both tuners are on live TV then no delay in the audio returning.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...