Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Continuous Playback of Recorded Shows

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tomar

Tomar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hello

I have a couple of HR2x DVRs and I want to know if there is a way to play recorded content continuously. This would be analogous to setting up a playlist or queue containing the shows I want to watch and it would play them one after the other.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

When you go to play back just hit the play button on the closed folder of the show and it will start from the oldest show in the folder. if your on local recordings (non mrv) it may save your progress in the folder allowing you to pick up where you left off from a previous folder play. 

Edited by otaliema, 19 November 2013 - 09:15 AM.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

You can play all the episodes of a recurring recording by hitting 'play' after you highlight the bunch of shows after hitting 'list'.

One minor gripe:

DirecTV thoughtfully automatically pads your recordings a bit and when you do this playing of several shows at once, it takes more than 30 minutes to play a 30 minute show, so you don't stay 'synced' to the clock if you start at the top of the hour, for instance.

You'll watch the first minute of a following show, and then it will snag the next show in the list.  Can be a tad annoying. 

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

when the show gets to the end, skip to end and it flips to next show much faster

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

LOL, I set this up for my elderly parents, and we don't let them touch the remote.  As soon as they do, they mess up the TV and then they call me.

They also love to flip channels 2 or 3 minutes before the hour, see nothing but commercials, and then complain there is nothing on.

Auto-tune on DISH has been a blessing . . . 

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

So is it a tad annoying for you or your parents since you don't let them touch the remote anyway?  I guess I dont see the problem, especially if a show is running a little behind or ahead because its not always the case you can set your clock by show start and stop times....the whole reason for the padding

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

If I spool off four episodes of Wheel of Fortune, they want to see how the last one ended (not that they will remember in an hour) and they don't like missing the beginning of whatever show follows.  Having a stack of playbacks run long is as I noted a 'tad' (a small bit, minor, etc) annoying.

Not like major annoying when DirecTV got over $600 bucks ahead on autopay.  EEEK!!

:eek2:

Anyone want to take them for a week or two, let me know, I need a break.  Disclaimer:  they are both somewhat deaf, and mumble.  You can figure out what fun that is . . . 

:coffee

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

If I spool off four episodes of Wheel of Fortune, they want to see how the last one ended (not that they will remember in an hour) and they don't like missing the beginning of whatever show follows.  Having a stack of playbacks run long is as I noted a 'tad' (a small bit, minor, etc) annoying.

Perhaps you can stack some manually recorded shows into a folder that are trimmed to perfection?!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

In my experience with HR20's, this is not reliable. Maybe 2 1/2 sows will play, maybe 4 or 5. Most of the time it quits before it gets through the entire folder.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

In my experience with HR20's, this is not reliable. Maybe 2 1/2 sows will play, maybe 4 or 5. Most of the time it quits before it gets through the entire folder.

I wasn't talking about porcine shows!! 

And folders could be limited to 4 or 5

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   Tomar

Tomar

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

I never thought to press play when the folder is selected in list view. I'll have to give this a try but this would only work if it is the same show with different episodes. I was hoping to play different shows continuously.

Gov - how do you highlight a bunch of shows? Is this different from highlighting the show folder or the same thing?

#12 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Every HR I have ever had will play everything thats in the folder, including my hr20s.  Ive had over 20 in some, I ran out of time, and it never stopped working for me.  I wonder whats different.

#13 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

I never thought to press play when the folder is selected in list view. I'll have to give this a try but this would only work if it is the same show with different episodes. I was hoping to play different shows continuously.

Gov - how do you highlight a bunch of shows? Is this different from highlighting the show folder or the same thing?

Well you could if you do some sort of auto search record

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,310 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well you could if you do some sort of auto search record

but those won't fall into a folder.  or would they?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#15 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

Yes they will.  If you do one auto recor search, boolen or not, they all fall into one folder.  SO if you did a search that caught all things with tom hanks in it, they would all be in one folder.  Same if you created a boolean search that caught all csi, criminal minds, good wife shows, they would all land in the same folder.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

I dont think that is typical....mine has never stopped while playing back a folder of shows, until it gets to the end of the last one.  I do this quite frequently.

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Me too. It has always been from one of two HR20s. That I am the only one with this problem is surprising.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#18 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,672 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

Me too. It has always been from one of two HR20s. That I am the only one with this problem is surprising.

You run your system through your home Ethernet network rather than supported deca though right?

spam firewall