Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Owned" HD Reciver Possibilities

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Can anyone tell me if there are any receivers that D** will recognize as HD receivers that were able to be sold as owned receivers?

I have two R-22-100 recevers that I bought but of course D** will not recognize them as HD receivers and activate HD service.

I don't really want to re-up for another two years just to get HD programing.

Already know that I need to be careful and check with D** to make sure a receiver is truley "Owned" before buying.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

So you have service now but sd only? Any Hi Definition unit could be owned it's finding them that's the hard part. Check the buy sell area here and eBay. And as you said call and verify at DIRECTV. But if you don't already had service then they will make you commit To two years even if it's owned equipment if you start new service.

#3 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Just to verify: They will not let me activate HD service without a new 2 year commitment?

That doesn't seem right...

Edit

OK I reread this and think I understand: Since I already have SD service but just want to add HD service, I should be OK.

It's if I was starting completly new service I would have the 2 year commitment.

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 19 November 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,937 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

The easiest one to get is the HR21-pro as this HDDVR has always been sold as "owned"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'd still be very careful with eBay, even if the RID checks out.

Too bad you don't have SWM, if for some reason Sigma hasn't sold his HR34, that would be one to go for, very hard to find owned.

#6 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I do have an SWM.  

Is this the listing here.

Also what do HR34's sell for new?

I didn't think you could own them.

Edited by dazed&confuzed, 19 November 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Full leased price is $300 I believe.

Generally, that's true but there have been some sold on here, and are legitimately owned. I don't know Sigma personally, but have absolutely no doubt it's owned. If I was in the market and missed out on the 44 that was sold a few months ago, I'd have no concern. I'd probably not even bother calling the Access Card department.

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,800 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Keep in mind that if you get a HD DVR you'll have to pay a $10 in addition to the $10 HD fee. The Genie is a few bucks more on top of that.

If you are only looking for a receiver, not a DVR,any H2x will do. If you search for "owned directv h25" for instance in Ebay you see plenty of choices, same with H24, and so on. If you want the cheapest option, a H20 will work just as well as a newer receiver - just be sure you buy a H20-100, not a -600!

• damondlt likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#9 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Keep in mind that if you get a HD DVR you'll have to pay a $10 in addition to the $10 HD fee. The Genie is a few bucks more on top of that.

If you are only looking for a receiver, not a DVR,any H2x will do. If you search for "owned directv h25" for instance in Ebay you see plenty of choices, same with H24, and so on. If you want the cheapest option, a H20 will work just as well as a newer receiver - just be sure you buy a H20-100, not a -600!

Thank You, That may be the way to go if I can get one cheap enough. I already pay the $10 DVR fee so all I'll have extra is the $10 HD fee I think.

My R-22's have 2Gb drives so I should have plenty of room for HD recording.

What is the extra fee for on the Genie? WHDVR?

Do they still charge you that even if you just have the Genie and no add on boxes?

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Genie requires Whole Home, even if no other boxes. That's $3 per month.

One thing to keep in mind if you do get an H20, it can never be part of a whole home network. It does have the old UI. The R22 can, as long as you have one HRxx and one H21+ (or another HR).

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

I'd still be very careful with eBay, even if the RID checks out.

Too bad you don't have SWM, if for some reason Sigma hasn't sold his HR34, that would be one to go for, very hard to find owned.

But, wouldn't that revert to leased as soon as it was activated?

Rich 

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

But, wouldn't that revert to leased as soon as it was activated?

Rich 

Not that I know of, I'd think it would stay owned. Now, it certainly is possible that it may get improperly marked as leased. For activation with the new access card, I probably would go through the ACDT.

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,162 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Not that I know of, I'd think it would stay owned. Now, it certainly is possible that it may get improperly marked as leased. For activation with the new access card, I probably would go through the ACDT.

Just called ACT and they've changed the policy.  The CSR I talked to assured me that change now allows for owned Genies to retain their owned status when sold and reactivated on another account.  

Rich

• sigma1914 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

A couple questions while I'm trying to decide between buying and leasing.

Can you get "owned" Genie clients?

Do the clients require activation?

D** has said they will give me a free Genie unit (With 2 year extension) But that just bugs me...

If I lease what are the odds they would send me an HR44 (I'd rather have a 34 since I have an RF remote)

Also I have two R-22 units on the system with a SWM-8, the genie takes five and the R-22's two each so I'll be short one tuner.

Eventually I'll remove one of the R-22's but not at first. What will happen if I connect them all at the same time?

Thoughts and suggestions apreciated.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

Owned clients are out there, but like Genies, hard to find. I don't believe DirecTV will do it. Compatible RVU TV's of course are owned.

Clients don't have access cards, they are setup with the Genie itself.

I'd set one of the R22's to single tuner mode. That would make sure all the Genie tuners are available, and that R22 will have one tuner.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,937 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

if you are referring to DirecTV RVU clients, yes

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

A couple questions while I'm trying to decide between buying and leasing.
Can you get "owned" Genie clients?

D** has said they will give me a free Genie unit (With 2 year extension) But that just bugs me...
If I lease what are the odds they would send me an HR44 (I'd rather have a 34 since I have an RF remote)

Also I have two R-22 units on the system with a SWM-8, the genie takes five and the R-22's two each so I'll be short one tuner.
Eventually I'll remove one of the R-22's but not at first. What will happen if I connect them all at the same time?

Thoughts and suggestions apreciated.

Run the r22 in single tuner mode then it won't be a problem.

And do the math. The amount extra you pay for owned is equal to or more than the eft usually vs getting a leased unit for free so it's be cheaper to lease it free upfront and then pay an eft before two years is up than it is to buy it outright to avoid an eft.

#18 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well here is the D** experience.

After talking on the phone with them for an hour I am getting a free upgrade to an HR-44, 24 months of free DVR service and 3 months free HD service (And 3 months of HBO)

The downside is they insisted on and installer coming out at $49.95 since they didn't show the slimline dish or the SWM8 that I installed last year. After explaining it "Gently" to them several times that I didn't need the installation since my receivers were already "seeing" the HD satelites and that everytime HBO and Showtime had a Freeview weekend I received HD movies they said they would credit me the $49.50 on my bill.

I don't suppose I would be so lucky that they will send me the receiver and I can have it all hooked up when the guy gets here. (sigh)

Quick question, will my HR-22's see the Genie and be able to play programs off it (and vice versa) without any major changes?

They are already connected to my home network and the spot where the Genie will go has an internet connection as well.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,937 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Quick question, will my HR-22's see the Genie and be able to play programs off it (and vice versa) without any major changes?

They are already connected to my home network and the spot where the Genie will go has an internet connection as well.

Yes, but most likely the tech will install DECA on those HDDVRs

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yes, but most likely the tech will install DECA on those HDDVRs

What is DECA?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...