Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How do I convince DirecTV that SWM wiring is in place

customer service genie swm wiring

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lurker17

Lurker17

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

DirecTV refuses to believe that my house is wired for SWM even though they had an installer come out and he verified that it was ready for a Genie/mini setup.  (He left with the HR34 and the mini because I needed an HR44 for its optical output).  Two weeks and 2 hours on the phone with DirecTV I still don't have an HR44-- none in the local warehouse and even though DirecTV agreed to drop ship me one by Fed Ex on Nov 5 and confirmed last week via a supervisor I talked to that the shipment appeared to be on the way, yesterday a supervisor said there had been no confirmation that the order was accepted by the special order department.  She said she is not allowed to email customers with progress and would call with the resolution but of course I've head nothing yet.   

I am within an inch of switching to Comcast (I am not in a FIOS area) but would be willing to stick with D* if they authorize a credit for a third party purchase of the HR44 or figure out how to send me one themselves... but I am wondering if the hiccup is that the central system shows that the house is not wired with a SWM setup when it is (As the installer confirmed). 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

From what I understand the only way for you to convince them is to have an installer verify for them and mark your system as SWM ready in their computer.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Who installed the SWM system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Lurker17

Lurker17

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

I installed it to get rid of those Rf converters on the satellite output.  An installer came to the house and verified it and told DirecTV central over the phone that it was Genie-ready but it never got updated in the central system.  The installer left without completing the intall because he (and the installation company) only had HR-34s and I needed an HR 44 for optical audio output -- DirecTV said they would ship me on by FedEx but two weeks later has been unable to figure out how to do this.  

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

I've been told by a tech that the only way to get the DirecTV systems to recognize that a SWM system is in place is by having a Tech actually enter it into the system.  Earlier this year, I installed a SWM16, DECA's etc to replace my old grandfathered Whole Home Setup.  At that time, I called DirecTV to report that I had upgraded my equipment and was transferred to someone who told me that he could do update my account accordingly.

It's possible that he made notes in my account or updated something, since when I called to request a Genie upgrade, the CSR made the comment that I already had the equipment required for that upgrade.  However, the tech showed me that his work order indicated that he  would need to do a SWM upgrade during that install.  So, whatever that initial CSR did when I called to report that I had upgraded to SWM, apparently, it didn't update completely across their systems.  The tech told me that, once he closed out his work order, all of DirecTV's relevant systems would be aware that I had SWM equipment.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Maybe an email to Ellen Filipiak is in order.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 OFFLINE   Lurker17

Lurker17

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Thanks.  I will try emailing Ellen.  My guess is that the installer who came to the house with the HR 34 did not do a report because it was reported as a canceled install thought he did talk to DirecTV technical support and tell them the SWM-16 was in place. 

#8 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

You're still going to have trouble getting them to guarantee you an HR-44. Your best bet is to forget about trying to convince them you have a SWM, which is irrelevant to getting a HR 44 over an HR 34, and instead get them to credit your account and order one from SolidSignal or WeaKnees

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

You can use this for optical ... http://www.amazon.co...coax to optical

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Lurker17

Lurker17

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

That is an enormously useful email address to have!!   Thanks very much.  

#11 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

You should just cancel and go to Comcast.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thanks.  I will try emailing Ellen.  My guess is that the installer who came to the house with the HR 34 did not do a report because it was reported as a canceled install thought he did talk to DirecTV technical support and tell them the SWM-16 was in place. 

Correct, only way to update an account to be SWM "true" is to close a work order with SWM "supported hardware"on that work order

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

I have to smile a bit about DirecTV's records and the SWM or no SWM installed situation. I don't remember why I did it but five or so years ago I installed my own SWM8. Naturally DirecTV had nothing to do with that so I didn't expect it to show up in their records. Over the years since DirecTV has been to the house to deliver new receivers, install MRV, aim the dish, etc. Almost every time they've been here we've gone through SWM/no SWM drill and each time the tech has supposedly "updated the records". I probably have complicated matters recently since I decided to upgrade my SWM8 to a SWM16 in anticipation of getting Genie and pushing my tuner count past the 8. Yes, I could have waited and let DirecTV do that but I was moving connections, reorganizing the attic, etc., and I prefer and enjoy doing my own equipment changes. I can hardly wait to see what happens when I call about my potential and pending equipment upgrade offer here in four or five days. :-)
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#14 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

Last year I added a H24, they sent it out with no B Band Converter. I called to tell them and they said I did not need it that I have a SWM, had to tell them I do not so they said it would be noted on my account and sent me a BBC. If I order a Genie then I will know if it really was noted no SWM on my account.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#15 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't know the current D* policy but I installed my own SWM-16, DECA and CCK-W last year.  I have only had a tech to my home one time, to install the Slimline dish when I upgraded to HD in 2007.

I got some push back when i called to activate the WHDVR option, and had to have the CSR engage her supervisor but eventually they added it to my account.

Then the supervisor tried to tell me it wouldn't work with my R22.  I tried to correct her on that but eventually just let it go.  Within a few minutes all of my DVRs (including the R22) were showing up in my SWM cloud and on the unified play list.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#16 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I also installed my own SWM.  When I added my fifth tuner, the CSR said I could not activate it because I did not have SWM or a multiswitch.  I told her that I had had SWM for several months, and she said she would change the notation on my account and activated the new receiver.  I have never had a reason to call DirecTV since, so I cannot verify that they did, in fact, change my account, but all five tuners work.

#17 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

If it is that hard to get your account updated, I wonder how they manage to update the records when you have a legacy system and take the Genie upgrade and the installer upgrades you to SWM as part of the deal?

Directv must keep records in the same way they did in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. At the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "beware of the leopard". It doesn't seem like it should be so hard to check a box in a customer's record to reflect they're on SWM.

I suppose Directv doesn't know I'm on SWM since I did the upgrade myself. I wonder if they'd give me trouble if I called in and tried to activate a H25 on my account?

Edited by slice1900, 20 November 2013 - 02:38 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#18 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

If it is that hard to get your account updated, I wonder how they manage to update the records when you have a legacy system and take the Genie upgrade and the installer upgrades you to SWM as part of the deal?

As peds mentioned earlier, when a tech closes a work order that contains SWM "supported hardware", you account gets changed to indicate that you have SWM hardware.  The work order for my Genie upgrade had the "supported hardware" line item on it.

#19 OFFLINE   randyk47

randyk47

Icon

• Registered
  • 814 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well Genie arrives at my house today between 12 and 4 PM so I'll know in a couple of hours if I got my self-installed SWM16 to make to the records or not. There was no mention or discussion about SWM requirements with the CSR or the verifier yesterday so I figure we'll cross that bridge today. I've isolated the run to where the Genie will be installed so it's the only receiver on SWM1 and I'm going to keep the HR21 and HR23 and no clients so hopefully it'll be a pretty quick plug and play install. About the only other change would be to pull the PI input off the shared SWM1 and use an available unused run. I haven't done it myself because it's been working and I haven't read where it's necessarily better one way or the other. Kind of my basic "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Elite 70" HD LED/HR44/AM21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 52" HD LCD/HR21/Yamaha HTR/Harmony One
Samsung 40" HD LED/HR23/AM21/Pioneer HTR/Harmony 900
Samsung 32" HD LCD/OTA
Slimline Dish
SWM16
MRV
Attic Mounted HD OTA
U-verse Internet/Phone

#20 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

If you already have the genie then it doesn't matter what DTV records have. The records would only matter when you are trying to get them to ship it to you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: customer service, genie, swm wiring

spam firewall